The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle - SUN

This is a discussion on The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle - SUN ; Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2, and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I have written it all up on my website at http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html Hopefully, this will provide a general guide ...

  1. The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    have written it all up on my website at
    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    (mis)handles floppies.

    Comments will be welcomed.

    Share and Enjoy!

    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

  2. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    Charles Lindsey wrote:
    > Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    > and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    > have written it all up on my website at
    > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    > Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    > (mis)handles floppies.
    >
    > Comments will be welcomed.

    I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

  3. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    Dave wrote:
    > Charles Lindsey wrote:
    >
    >> Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    >> and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    >> have written it all up on my website at
    >> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    >> Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    >> (mis)handles floppies.
    >>
    >> Comments will be welcomed.

    > I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

    I found that an external USB floppy drive 'just works' with Solaris 10,
    though haven't done anything beyond showing that it works. FWIW, I
    bought the external drive to help make a recovery floppy for her laptop.

    - Erik

  4. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    In comp.sys.sun.hardware Dave wrote:
    > Charles Lindsey wrote:
    >> Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    >> and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    >> have written it all up on my website at
    >> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    >> Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    >> (mis)handles floppies.
    >>
    >> Comments will be welcomed.

    > I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

    or using floppies anywhere at all.

  5. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:29:09 -0700, erik magnuson wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >> Charles Lindsey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    >>> and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    >>> have written it all up on my website at
    >>> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    >>> Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    >>> (mis)handles floppies.
    >>> Comments will be welcomed.

    >> I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

    If you have a PC-DOS floppy you should be able to make an image of it
    and net that over and use lofiadm to mount the iso

    > I found that an external USB floppy drive 'just works' with Solaris 10,
    > though haven't done anything beyond showing that it works. FWIW, I
    > bought the external drive to help make a recovery floppy for her laptop.

    Since when is an Ultra 2 a laptop?
    Its an SBUS based SPARC machine - where are you going to
    plug in the external USB drive?

  6. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    AGT wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:29:09 -0700, erik magnuson wrote:
    >

    >>Dave wrote:

    >>>I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

    > If you have a PC-DOS floppy you should be able to make an image of it
    > and net that over and use lofiadm to mount the iso
    >

    >>I found that an external USB floppy drive 'just works' with Solaris 10,
    >>though haven't done anything beyond showing that it works. FWIW, I
    >>bought the external drive to help make a recovery floppy for her laptop.

    > Since when is an Ultra 2 a laptop?
    > Its an SBUS based SPARC machine - where are you going to
    > plug in the external USB drive?

    My comment about the laptop was in reference to my wife's laptop, NOT
    the OP's Ultra 2 (accidentally edited out the reference to my wife).
    Since almost all new laptops (and quite a few desktops) lack a floppy
    drive (not a big loss), having an external USB floppy can be handy. The
    point I was trying to make was that the external USB floppy drive 'just
    works' with Solaris 10 on a box recent enough to support a USB port.

    - Erik

  7. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    On 2008-05-29, AGT wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 22:15:38 -0700, erik magnuson wrote:
    >
    >> AGT wrote:

    > Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  8. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    In Huge writes:

    >> Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    >The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

  9. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    Charles Lindsey wrote:

    >>> Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    >> The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    > AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    > handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    And you can be bothered to fit it!

  10. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    On 2008-06-02, Charles Lindsey wrote:

    >>> Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    >>The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    > AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    > handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    Interesting. I've still got a couple of DSDD 8" floppy drives.
    Aside from needing an external housing (which I have), you would also
    need to play games with the cables, because the 5.25" and 3.5" floppies
    use a 34-pin connector, while the 8" ones use a 50-pin connector. A bit
    of digging for the pinouts, replace the smartcard "drive" with a plate
    carrying a connector, and there you are.

    Of course -- from my first unix box (a Cosmos CMS-16/UNX -- v7
    unix on MC68000 (8MHz) in Intel Multibus) I still have the controller
    for the 10 MB 8" Shugart hard drive and the 8" floppy -- adapting both
    to SCSI, so I could probably just hang that on a system without needing
    the metalwork.

    Next question is "why"? :-) Do I have anything which I might
    still need to read on 8" floppies? And if I do -- a lot of it will be
    on the SSB (Smoke Signal Broadcasting) DOS-68 and DOS-69 formats. I
    think that I remember enough about that format to write something which
    would process an image of the disk and extract files. An interesting
    system -- instead of being something like a FAT, it was built on
    doubly linked lists. Each file used the last four bytes contained
    track and sector for the next sector and track and sector for the
    previous sector. The directory was similarly structured, so it could be
    expanded at need. All free sectors were yet another linked list, with
    the most recently deleted file tacked onto the tail of the list so you
    had the maximum chance to recover it before it was overwritten.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  11. Re: The Great SPARC Floppy Muddle

    In "DoN. Nichols" writes:

    >>>The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    >> AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    >> handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    > Interesting. I've still got a couple of DSDD 8" floppy drives.
    >Aside from needing an external housing (which I have), you would also
    >need to play games with the cables, because the 5.25" and 3.5" floppies
    >use a 34-pin connector, while the 8" ones use a 50-pin connector. A bit
    >of digging for the pinouts, replace the smartcard "drive" with a plate
    >carrying a connector, and there you are.

    Hmmm! Maybe I was being a bit too optimistic. But for sure a 5.25" drive
    would be no problem.

    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

+ Reply to Thread