Re: Sparcstation 20 quad? - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Sparcstation 20 quad? - SUN ; "D." writes: >Hi group, >I'm looking for a Sun Sparcstation 20, in a quad-CPU configuration >(higher-frequency Ross CPUs preferred), and a good amount of RAM. Would >someone have such a beast laying around by any chance? >Please answer to NG, ...

  1. Re: Sparcstation 20 quad?

    "D." writes:

    >Hi group,

    >I'm looking for a Sun Sparcstation 20, in a quad-CPU configuration
    >(higher-frequency Ross CPUs preferred), and a good amount of RAM. Would
    >someone have such a beast laying around by any chance?

    >Please answer to NG, I'll contact you as soon as possible.

    Dunno about a full system, but a guy called Mario used to be selling brand
    new surplus high-speed single, dual and sometimes quad Hypersparc CPU
    modules on Ebay. I guess the stock has all gone but I was still seeing his
    listings up until the middle of 2007.

    Craig.
    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email 2 "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org"

  2. Re: Sparcstation 20 quad?

    Craig Dewick wrote:

    > Dunno about a full system, but a guy called Mario used to be selling brand
    > new surplus high-speed single, dual and sometimes quad Hypersparc CPU
    > modules on Ebay. I guess the stock has all gone but I was still seeing his
    > listings up until the middle of 2007.
    >
    > Craig.

    I would add I found an issue on old HyperSPARCs that is worth
    considering. The things runs hot, but have some plastic screws holding
    the heatsinks down to the CPUs. Over time those screws can become very
    brittle and break. I found in most cases they don't actualy need to be
    plastic, but work with metal ones. In the case where metal was likely to
    short the PCB, I fitted a new plastic one. Better would have been
    ceramic, but ceramic nuts and bolts are quite expensive.

+ Reply to Thread