moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i - SUN

This is a discussion on moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i - SUN ; Hi, I've posted this question in some forums and a couple of mailing lists but figured I'd pose it here also... Just wondering what the best methods are for moving filesystems off a defective (still works but giving hard errors ...

  1. moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i

    Hi,

    I've posted this question in some forums and a couple of mailing lists but
    figured I'd pose it here also...

    Just wondering what the best methods are for moving filesystems off a defective
    (still works but giving hard errors on some sectors) 20 GB disk in a Raq4i onto
    a replacement disk? I've purchased a new 80 GB disk which is installed in the
    second position and currently don't have a restore CD so I'm wondering how to
    get the filesystems moved over to the new disk?

    The existing disk isn't reliable enough to run up the system with the httpd
    running otherwise there might be a way using the GUI to set up and start moving
    things to the new disk.

    Since the system is running Linux, is it possible to boot the system off an OS
    restore CD in single-user mode (via a SCSI CD-ROM drive connected to the
    external SCSI port of the Raq4i) and use a method similar to an ufsdump |
    ufsrestore pipe (which I use on Sun systems running Solaris) to move over the
    relevant filesystems to the new drive?

    Thanks for any advice you can provide. I'm used to Solaris methods but since
    the Raq is a hybrid system with IDE disks internally and SCSI externally, I
    don't quite know what the best approach is to salvage the filesystems from the
    old drive.

    Regards,

    Craig.

    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email 2 "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org"

  2. Re: moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i

    In comp.sys.sun.hardware Craig Dewick wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've posted this question in some forums and a couple of mailing lists but
    > figured I'd pose it here also...
    >
    > Just wondering what the best methods are for moving filesystems off a defective
    > (still works but giving hard errors on some sectors) 20 GB disk in a Raq4i onto
    > a replacement disk? I've purchased a new 80 GB disk which is installed in the
    > second position and currently don't have a restore CD so I'm wondering how to
    > get the filesystems moved over to the new disk?

    Is the 80 gig supported? I've been told its not (by a hosting compnay)

    > The existing disk isn't reliable enough to run up the system with the httpd
    > running otherwise there might be a way using the GUI to set up and start moving
    > things to the new disk.
    >
    > Since the system is running Linux, is it possible to boot the system off an OS
    > restore CD in single-user mode (via a SCSI CD-ROM drive connected to the
    > external SCSI port of the Raq4i) and use a method similar to an ufsdump |
    > ufsrestore pipe (which I use on Sun systems running Solaris) to move over the
    > relevant filesystems to the new drive?

    ufsdump on a bad disk may end up causing the problems to get worse. If you don't
    have backups, I would consider looking at logs to figure out where the problem
    might be and using cp -r and rsync to try to make a mirror. I would also
    no try to copy the entire disk0:/ to disk1:/ but more like disk0:/ to disk1:/olddisk/
    That way you can verify the new disk is properly configured first.

    I've had good luck running freebsd on the raq and I would be tempted to put a new
    OS on the 80 gig disk and try to pull the old stuff over. If you don't have the restore
    CD, can you even make sure the thing is patched properly if you did get it restored?

    > Thanks for any advice you can provide. I'm used to Solaris methods but since
    > the Raq is a hybrid system with IDE disks internally and SCSI externally, I
    > don't quite know what the best approach is to salvage the filesystems from the
    > old drive.

    This disk types don't matter.

    -tim
    http://web.abnormal.com

  3. Re: moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i

    In comp.sys.sun.hardware Craig Dewick wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've posted this question in some forums and a couple of mailing lists but
    > figured I'd pose it here also...
    >
    > Just wondering what the best methods are for moving filesystems off a defective
    > (still works but giving hard errors on some sectors) 20 GB disk in a Raq4i onto
    > a replacement disk? I've purchased a new 80 GB disk which is installed in the
    > second position and currently don't have a restore CD so I'm wondering how to
    > get the filesystems moved over to the new disk?

    Is the 80 gig supported? I've been told its not (by a hosting compnay)

    > The existing disk isn't reliable enough to run up the system with the httpd
    > running otherwise there might be a way using the GUI to set up and start moving
    > things to the new disk.
    >
    > Since the system is running Linux, is it possible to boot the system off an OS
    > restore CD in single-user mode (via a SCSI CD-ROM drive connected to the
    > external SCSI port of the Raq4i) and use a method similar to an ufsdump |
    > ufsrestore pipe (which I use on Sun systems running Solaris) to move over the
    > relevant filesystems to the new drive?

    ufsdump on a bad disk may end up causing the problems to get worse. If you don't
    have backups, I would consider looking at logs to figure out where the problem
    might be and using cp -r and rsync to try to make a mirror. I would also
    no try to copy the entire disk0:/ to disk1:/ but more like disk0:/ to disk1:/olddisk/
    That way you can verify the new disk is properly configured first.

    I've had good luck running freebsd on the raq and I would be tempted to put a new
    OS on the 80 gig disk and try to pull the old stuff over. If you don't have the restore
    CD, can you even make sure the thing is patched properly if you did get it restored?

    > Thanks for any advice you can provide. I'm used to Solaris methods but since
    > the Raq is a hybrid system with IDE disks internally and SCSI externally, I
    > don't quite know what the best approach is to salvage the filesystems from the
    > old drive.

    This disk types don't matter.

    -tim
    http://web.abnormal.com

  4. Re: moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i

    Tim Hogard writes:

    >In comp.sys.sun.hardware Craig Dewick wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've posted this question in some forums and a couple of mailing lists but
    >> figured I'd pose it here also...
    >>
    >> Just wondering what the best methods are for moving filesystems off a defective
    >> (still works but giving hard errors on some sectors) 20 GB disk in a Raq4i onto
    >> a replacement disk? I've purchased a new 80 GB disk which is installed in the
    >> second position and currently don't have a restore CD so I'm wondering how to
    >> get the filesystems moved over to the new disk?

    >Is the 80 gig supported? I've been told its not (by a hosting compnay)

    Not sure - the drive definitely works fine when it's jumpered to be the
    slave on the second channel (shows up as /dev/hdd when I do 'fdisk -l').
    I'd been able to set up some emply partitions, etc. on it using fdisk when
    the OS on the original disk stayed up long enough without crashing from a
    sector hard-error.

    >ufsdump on a baddisk may end up causing the problems to get worse. If you
    >do>have backups, I would consider looking at logs to figure out where the
    >problem>might be and using cp -r and rsync to try to make a mirror. I
    >would also>no try to copy the entire disk0:/ to disk1:/ but more like
    >disk0:/ to disk1:/o>That way you can verify the new disk is properly
    >configured first.

    I found some good hints on copying filesystems under Linux though
    something's gone wrong with the root partition of the original disk now and
    the system just sits there at 'booting....'. so it looks like I will need
    todo the restore CD method to get a fresh OS install on a new disk then
    copywhat I can off the old disk or from backups if they're recent enough.

    See some posts I've just sent to the cobalt_users and aussie-sun mailing
    lists (they should mirror to some newsgroups) about problems writing
    Zeffie's 'RaQ4-20022007.iso' updated restore ISO file to a CD-R. The
    filesize is 703696896 but all my 700 MB (80 min) CD-R's report a data
    capacity of about 22 MB less. bummer!

    Craig.
    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email 2 "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org"
    Galleries @ "http://www.sunshack.org/gallery2". Also lots of tech data, etc.
    Sun Microsystems webring at "http://n.webring.com/hub?ring=sunmicrosystemsu".

  5. Re: moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i

    Tim Hogard writes:

    >In comp.sys.sun.hardware Craig Dewick wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've posted this question in some forums and a couple of mailing lists but
    >> figured I'd pose it here also...
    >>
    >> Just wondering what the best methods are for moving filesystems off a defective
    >> (still works but giving hard errors on some sectors) 20 GB disk in a Raq4i onto
    >> a replacement disk? I've purchased a new 80 GB disk which is installed in the
    >> second position and currently don't have a restore CD so I'm wondering how to
    >> get the filesystems moved over to the new disk?

    >Is the 80 gig supported? I've been told its not (by a hosting compnay)

    Not sure - the drive definitely works fine when it's jumpered to be the
    slave on the second channel (shows up as /dev/hdd when I do 'fdisk -l').
    I'd been able to set up some emply partitions, etc. on it using fdisk when
    the OS on the original disk stayed up long enough without crashing from a
    sector hard-error.

    >ufsdump on a baddisk may end up causing the problems to get worse. If you
    >do>have backups, I would consider looking at logs to figure out where the
    >problem>might be and using cp -r and rsync to try to make a mirror. I
    >would also>no try to copy the entire disk0:/ to disk1:/ but more like
    >disk0:/ to disk1:/o>That way you can verify the new disk is properly
    >configured first.

    I found some good hints on copying filesystems under Linux though
    something's gone wrong with the root partition of the original disk now and
    the system just sits there at 'booting....'. so it looks like I will need
    todo the restore CD method to get a fresh OS install on a new disk then
    copywhat I can off the old disk or from backups if they're recent enough.

    See some posts I've just sent to the cobalt_users and aussie-sun mailing
    lists (they should mirror to some newsgroups) about problems writing
    Zeffie's 'RaQ4-20022007.iso' updated restore ISO file to a CD-R. The
    filesize is 703696896 but all my 700 MB (80 min) CD-R's report a data
    capacity of about 22 MB less. bummer!

    Craig.
    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email 2 "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org"
    Galleries @ "http://www.sunshack.org/gallery2". Also lots of tech data, etc.
    Sun Microsystems webring at "http://n.webring.com/hub?ring=sunmicrosystemsu".

  6. Re: moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i

    My newsreader forced me to trim to fewer newsgroups, so I trimmed to the
    one in which I am reading/following-up.

    On 2008-05-11, Craig Dewick wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > I found some good hints on copying filesystems under Linux though
    > something's gone wrong with the root partition of the original disk now and
    > the system just sits there at 'booting....'. so it looks like I will need
    > todo the restore CD method to get a fresh OS install on a new disk then
    > copywhat I can off the old disk or from backups if they're recent enough.

    A suggestion: Mount the bad disk read-only, to minimize the
    growth of errors by attempts to update access times and such while
    copying. It still won't protect it from more damage from grit
    originating from already damaged sections, but it may mimize the
    corruption of data which was still good when you started. In
    particular, it is likely to protect your directories and inodes from
    more corruption.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  7. Re: moving filesystems to new disk on Cobalt Raq4i

    "DoN. Nichols" writes:

    >My newsreader forced me to trim to fewer newsgroups, so I trimmed to the
    >one in which I am reading/following-up.

    >On 2008-05-11, Craig Dewick wrote:

    > [ ... ]

    >> I found some good hints on copying filesystems under Linux though
    >> something's gone wrong with the root partition of the original disk now and
    >> the system just sits there at 'booting....'. so it looks like I will need
    >> todo the restore CD method to get a fresh OS install on a new disk then
    >> copywhat I can off the old disk or from backups if they're recent enough.

    > A suggestion: Mount the bad disk read-only, to minimize the
    >growth of errors by attempts to update access times and such while
    >copying. It still won't protect it from more damage from grit
    >originating from already damaged sections, but it may mimize the
    >corruption of data which was still good when you started. In
    >particular, it is likely to protect your directories and inodes from
    >more corruption.

    Once I get the restore CD side of things taken care of this is what I plan
    to do. I've found a local source of 800 MB CDR's now (didn't even know they
    existed until today!), and will get Zeffie's Raq4 updated restore CD ISO
    burnt so it can be put to good use.

    Craig.
    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Location: Sydney, Australia - Web: http://www.sunrk.com.au - Get back on track