Workstation won't start after enabling POST - SUN

This is a discussion on Workstation won't start after enabling POST - SUN ; Hello all, to perform the power on self-test on my Blade 1000, I entered at the system prompt setenv diag-switch? true setenv diag-level = max and rebooted the system. The fans started, the LED in the cdrom flashed, but after ...

  1. Workstation won't start after enabling POST

    Hello all,

    to perform the power on self-test on my Blade 1000, I entered at the
    system prompt
    setenv diag-switch? true
    setenv diag-level = max
    and rebooted the system.

    The fans started, the LED in the cdrom flashed, but after that nothing
    happened anymore.
    My monitor did not get any signal and even the LEDs on the USB
    keyboard didn't flash.

    The "Sun Blade 1000/2000 Service Manual".says that it might take some
    time to perform the POST but even after more than 1h nothing has
    changed.

    The manual also says that I should have set up an TIP connection which
    I surely would have done if I had read the manual before

    Has anybody an idea what I can do to use the system again?

    Powering off an on, pressing Stop and Stop-N, deconnecting monitor and
    keyboard and trying to connect via serial interface - nothing gave me
    the system prompt.

    Thanks,
    Christoph

  2. Re: Workstation won't start after enabling POST

    On 2008-05-02, Chrisix wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > to perform the power on self-test on my Blade 1000, I entered at the
    > system prompt
    > setenv diag-switch? true
    > setenv diag-level = max
    > and rebooted the system.
    >
    > The fans started, the LED in the cdrom flashed, but after that nothing
    > happened anymore.
    > My monitor did not get any signal and even the LEDs on the USB
    > keyboard didn't flash.
    >
    > The "Sun Blade 1000/2000 Service Manual".says that it might take some
    > time to perform the POST but even after more than 1h nothing has
    > changed.
    >
    > The manual also says that I should have set up an TIP connection which
    > I surely would have done if I had read the manual before
    >
    > Has anybody an idea what I can do to use the system again?

    Set up the TIP connection now. Connect to TTYA. Your
    diag-switch changed the:

    output-device=screen
    input-device=keyboard

    output-device=ttya
    input-device=ttya

    so until you have a serial terminal -- or a TIP session masquerading as
    one -- connected to the system, it will ignore the keyboard and monitor.

    Once you are in there with the TIP session, try:

    set-defaults

    which should restore things to a normal set of defaults. But it may
    also lose a custom "boot-device" setting pointing to the specific drive
    in your internal disk cage (assuming that you have an installed system
    to save). If you simply want to get in and install, you can just use
    the "boot-cdrom" to get started with the installation.

    > Powering off an on, pressing Stop and Stop-N, deconnecting monitor and
    > keyboard and trying to connect via serial interface - nothing gave me
    > the system prompt.

    It is not looking at the keyboard, so these will do nothing but
    possibly corrupt the disk if you had a bootable system installed. The
    TIP session connected to ttya will produce output -- eventually. It
    should not take an hour, but it may take some ten minutes depending on
    the speed of the CPU modules present and the amount of RAM in the
    system.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Re: Workstation won't start after enabling POST

    "Chrisix" wrote in message
    > to perform the power on self-test on my Blade 1000, I entered at the
    > system prompt
    > setenv diag-switch? true
    > setenv diag-level = max
    > and rebooted the system.

    Disconnect the keyboard and mouse.
    This will give the system no choice, but to use ttya.
    Since you have diag-switch? set to true output should be coming out the
    serial port anyway.
    To be extra sure you can change input-device and output-device to ttya at
    the ok> prompt.

    Also make sure auto-boot? is false and/or diag-device is set properly.
    The system will use the diag-device instead of the boot-device which is
    usually set to 'net' by default.
    I always set diag-device to be the same as boot-device especially on
    servers.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread