Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7 - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7 - SUN ; We are looking for system administrators, hardware engineers, and IT staff/management who are responsible for researching and recommending servers or storage systems - from any vendor - for a Sun research study next week. Please feel free to forward this ...

  1. Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7

    We are looking for system administrators, hardware engineers, and IT
    staff/management who are responsible for researching and recommending
    servers or storage systems - from any vendor - for a Sun research
    study next week. Please feel free to forward this message to others
    who might be interested. You must be in the US or Canada to
    participate. Sun employees and contractors are not eligible.

    Tuesday and Wednesday, May 6 & 7:
    These sessions will last 1 hour and participants will receive $75 for
    their feedback. The study will be conducted remotely via web-meeting.

    If you are interested, please reply and let me know:

    1. Your current job/role: tell us a bit about what you do and where
    you work. We are particularly interested in the size of the
    organization (if consulting, please tell us the size of your client
    organization as well).

    2. Your experience with Sun products (we would like about 1/2 the
    participants to be unfamiliar with Sun products). Please pick one of
    the following:

    A Knowledgeable about Sun products; have helped to spec and
    purchase Sun products; very familiar with Sun technology

    B Somewhat knowledgeable about Sun products; have researched Sun
    products and have a fairly good understanding of Sun technology; may
    have helped spec and purchase a Sun product

    C Just getting started with Sun and its products; have started
    some research and would like to learn more.

    D Not at all familiar with Sun products or technology.

    3. Whether you work primarily with servers or storage systems.

    4. Your time zone and the operating system you will use during the
    study.

    5. A phone number where you can be reached for scheduling.

    Please provide the information requested above rather than attaching
    your resume.

    Thank you,
    Lyn Bain
    Lynda.Bain@sun.com

  2. Re: Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7

    lynbain@gmail.com wrote:
    > We are looking for system administrators, hardware engineers, and IT
    > staff/management who are responsible for researching and recommending
    > servers or storage systems - from any vendor - for a Sun research
    > study next week. Please feel free to forward this message to others
    > who might be interested. You must be in the US or Canada to
    > participate. Sun employees and contractors are not eligible.
    >
    > Tuesday and Wednesday, May 6 & 7:
    > These sessions will last 1 hour and participants will receive $75 for
    > their feedback. The study will be conducted remotely via web-meeting.
    >
    > If you are interested, please reply and let me know:
    >
    > 1. Your current job/role: tell us a bit about what you do and where
    > you work. We are particularly interested in the size of the
    > organization (if consulting, please tell us the size of your client
    > organization as well).
    >
    > 2. Your experience with Sun products (we would like about 1/2 the
    > participants to be unfamiliar with Sun products). Please pick one of
    > the following:
    >
    > A Knowledgeable about Sun products; have helped to spec and
    > purchase Sun products; very familiar with Sun technology
    >
    > B Somewhat knowledgeable about Sun products; have researched Sun
    > products and have a fairly good understanding of Sun technology; may
    > have helped spec and purchase a Sun product
    >
    > C Just getting started with Sun and its products; have started
    > some research and would like to learn more.
    >
    > D Not at all familiar with Sun products or technology.
    >
    > 3. Whether you work primarily with servers or storage systems.
    >
    > 4. Your time zone and the operating system you will use during the
    > study.
    >
    > 5. A phone number where you can be reached for scheduling.
    >
    > Please provide the information requested above rather than attaching
    > your resume.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Lyn Bain
    > Lynda.Bain@sun.com

    Lynda

    you have put the wrong date. It should be April the 1st.

    We all believe that we will be paid $75 by Sun, and sun make this offer
    not from their web pages, or a Sun IP address, but post via Google
    Groups from an IP address of 71.211.240.46 which resolves to

    Top Level Domain: "qwest.net"
    Country IP Address: UNITED STATES

    quest.net is a Broadband Internet/Dial-Up

  3. Re: Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 04:44:35 +0100, Dave wrote:
    > Lynda
    >
    > you have put the wrong date. It should be April the 1st.
    >
    > We all believe that we will be paid $75 by Sun, and sun make this offer
    > not from their web pages, or a Sun IP address, but post via Google
    > Groups from an IP address of 71.211.240.46 which resolves to
    >
    > Top Level Domain: "qwest.net"
    > Country IP Address: UNITED STATES
    >
    > quest.net is a Broadband Internet/Dial-Up

    Dave -
    Having met Lyn in person, and having participated in a number of her
    research opportunities, and having been paid properly and adequately for
    my time in each and every case, I can assure you (and anyone else who
    doesn't believe this is a legitimate opportunity) that everything here is
    completely on the up-and-up. Lyn was not a Sun employee last I knew, but
    that appears to have changed, based on her email address. And Qwest is
    spelled with a "w", not a "u".

    Cheers,
    James Noyes

  4. Re: Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, James Noyes wrote:

    > Dave -
    > Having met Lyn in person, and having participated in a number of her
    > research opportunities, and having been paid properly and adequately for
    > my time in each and every case, I can assure you (and anyone else who
    > doesn't believe this is a legitimate opportunity) that everything here is
    > completely on the up-and-up. Lyn was not a Sun employee last I knew, but

    +1 (though I've never met Lyn in person).

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  5. Re: Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, James Noyes wrote:
    >
    >> Dave -
    >> Having met Lyn in person, and having participated in a number of her
    >> research opportunities, and having been paid properly and adequately for
    >> my time in each and every case, I can assure you (and anyone else who
    >> doesn't believe this is a legitimate opportunity) that everything here is
    >> completely on the up-and-up. Lyn was not a Sun employee last I knew, but

    > +1 (though I've never met Lyn in person).

    I'm sorry to Lyn in this case.

    But she would be better posting this sort of thing from a Sun email
    address with a Sun IP address, as it looks rather suspicious.

  6. Re: Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7

    On Fri, 2 May 2008, Dave wrote:

    > But she would be better posting this sort of thing from a Sun email address
    > with a Sun IP address, as it looks rather suspicious.

    Lyn doesn't work for Sun, but I agree that an email from her
    more usual corporate address would be less prone to suspicion.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  7. Re: Sun Microsystems Research: May 6 & 7

    On May 2, 8:24 am, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 May 2008, Dave wrote:
    > > But she would be better posting this sort of thing from a Sun email address
    > > with a Sun IP address, as it looks rather suspicious.

    > Lyn doesn't work for Sun, but I agree that an email from her
    > more usual corporate address would be less prone to suspicion.
    >
    > --
    > Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA
    >
    > CEO,
    > My Online Home Inventory
    >
    > URLs:http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    > http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    > http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

    Thanks, Rich and James. I'm really at a loss. I am a consultant hired
    by Sun to get objective feedback on things that they are working
    on. As a consultant for them, I have a Sun email address. When I
    posted from my Chili Interactive address (my company), I got
    criticized for not posting from a Sun address. When I include my Sun
    email address, people think I should post from my Chili address. I'm
    giving you lots of choices, all of them lead to me :-) Most people who
    I work with at Sun work from home so checking the IP address isn't
    always going to be helpful.

    Honestly, participating in these interviews is a great opportunity to
    help Sun get things right. They truly want your input and they really
    do take it into account. I don't know exactly how everyone would like
    me to write things or the address they want me to write from, but I
    hope that hearing from people on these lists who have participated in
    the usability tests helps you see that this is legit. We do interviews
    with over 300 Sun customers every year and we read every comment on
    every survey submitted on the Sun web site to summarize the feedback.
    If you want to give feedback to Sun, you have the opportunity by
    taking advantage of one of these offers.

    My company is Chili Interactive, based in Boulder, CO. We work with
    everyone from Internet startups like Me.dium to the big guys like Sun,
    Qwest, and Qualcomm on all aspects of user experience design and
    usability research.

    Lyn Bain

+ Reply to Thread