reformatted disk won't install solaris 10 - SUN

This is a discussion on reformatted disk won't install solaris 10 - SUN ; On a V880 we have a root disk c0t0d0 We sliced it using format from boot cdrom -s on sol 10U5 Slice 0 starts at cylinder 0 swap starts about cylinder 10500 and is 4 Gb in size. When we ...

  1. reformatted disk won't install solaris 10

    On a V880 we have a root disk c0t0d0

    We sliced it using format from boot cdrom -s on sol 10U5

    Slice 0 starts at cylinder 0 swap starts about cylinder 10500 and is 4
    Gb in size. When we try to install sol10U5 we
    consistently get stopped at the end of the prompting and the beginning
    of the installation at

    Could not reinitialize system state
    mkdir "a/var/sadm/laucher" Read only filesystem

    Any ideas

  2. Re: reformatted disk won't install solaris 10

    On Apr 29, 7:51 am, "leona...@sympatico.ca"
    wrote:
    > On a V880 we have a root disk c0t0d0

    Ill take your word on that c0 bit
    > We sliced it using format from boot cdrom -s on sol 10U5
    > Slice 0 starts at cylinder 0 swap starts about cylinder 10500 and is 4
    > Gb in size. When we try to install sol10U5 we
    > consistently get stopped at the end of the prompting and the beginning
    > of the installation at
    > Could not reinitialize system state
    > mkdir "a/var/sadm/laucher" Read only filesystem
    > Any ideas

    So little to go on
    Sounds like you are using a non-Sun disk??
    Just label the disk, quit and start the install over again.

  3. Re: reformatted disk won't install solaris 10

    wrote in message
    > On a V880 we have a root disk c0t0d0
    >
    > We sliced it using format from boot cdrom -s on sol 10U5
    >
    > Slice 0 starts at cylinder 0 swap starts about cylinder 10500 and is 4
    > Gb in size. When we try to install sol10U5 we
    > consistently get stopped at the end of the prompting and the beginning
    > of the installation at
    >

    > Could not reinitialize system state
    > mkdir "a/var/sadm/laucher" Read only filesystem
    >

    > Any ideas

    Maybe a dumb question, but does slice 0 and 4 overlap in anyway?
    Has slice 2 been messed with at all?

    Try to load the OS and partition the drive out as part of the installation
    process.
    Are the disks Sun drives?
    Sun's hate non-Sun disks and they hate 3rd party memory even more.

    Trinean

  4. Re: reformatted disk won't install solaris 10

    On Apr 29, 10:51 am, "leona...@sympatico.ca"
    wrote:
    > On a V880 we have a root disk c0t0d0
    >
    > We sliced it using format from boot cdrom -s on sol 10U5
    >
    > Slice 0 starts at cylinder 0 swap starts about cylinder 10500 and is 4
    > Gb in size. When we try to install sol10U5 we
    > consistently get stopped at the end of the prompting and the beginning
    > of the installation at
    >
    > Could not reinitialize system state
    > mkdir "a/var/sadm/laucher" Read only filesystem
    >
    > Any ideas

    Thanks to all who replied: the solution turned out to be related to
    metadbs on other disks which had not been reformatted and relabelled.

    After repartitioning disk 0 on controller 1 (c1t0d0), during
    installation the error message came up:

    Could not reinitialize system state

    mkdir "a/var/sadm/laucher" Read only filesystem

    The cause turned out to be:
    metadata dbs on the attached drives (c1t1d0-c1t5d0) caused a metainit
    error which caused the above error
    Our solution
    Pull the 5 drives out during installation

    There are probably other solutions but that worked.

  5. Re: reformatted disk won't install solaris 10

    On Apr 30, 6:50 am, "leona...@sympatico.ca"
    wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 10:51 am, "leona...@sympatico.ca"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On a V880 we have a root disk c0t0d0

    > > We sliced it using format from boot cdrom -s on sol 10U5

    > > Slice 0 starts at cylinder 0 swap starts about cylinder 10500 and is 4
    > > Gb in size. When we try to install sol10U5 we
    > > consistently get stopped at the end of the prompting and the beginning
    > > of the installation at

    > > Could not reinitialize system state
    > > mkdir "a/var/sadm/laucher" Read only filesystem

    > > Any ideas

    > Thanks to all who replied: the solution turned out to be related to
    > metadbs on other disks which had not been reformatted and relabelled.

    You might have mentioned that little factoid. As you found out things
    like that matter.

    > The cause turned out to be:
    > metadata dbs on the attached drives (c1t1d0-c1t5d0) caused a metainit
    > error which caused the above error
    > Our solution
    > Pull the 5 drives out during installation
    > There are probably other solutions but that worked.

    Just curious but the swap slices on the meta disks - did they start at
    cylinder 0?
    Ive been burned by this before in upgrades of metadb disks.

+ Reply to Thread