Faster (than V490) server? - SUN

This is a discussion on Faster (than V490) server? - SUN ; I've got an application that's a single process, single-threaded one that they're complaining that it needs a speed boost. I've checked I/O rates, memory, etc. and it looks like the darn thing is just plain CPU bound. I'm not familiar ...

  1. Faster (than V490) server?

    I've got an application that's a single process, single-threaded one
    that they're complaining that it needs a speed boost.

    I've checked I/O rates, memory, etc. and it looks like the darn thing
    is just plain CPU bound.

    I'm not familiar enough with the current Sun server line, so I'm
    asking here: What box can I buy that will have better raw CPU
    performance that the (current) V490?

    I'd love to throw a T2-based system at it, but from what I can tell
    the processor speed might not be that much better than a V490.

    Thanks!

    Lee

  2. Re: Faster (than V490) server?

    wcol_1230am@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've got an application that's a single process, single-threaded one
    > that they're complaining that it needs a speed boost.

    And I assume that you are running only one instance of the app at a time.

    > I've checked I/O rates, memory, etc. and it looks like the darn thing
    > is just plain CPU bound.
    >
    > I'm not familiar enough with the current Sun server line, so I'm
    > asking here: What box can I buy that will have better raw CPU
    > performance that the (current) V490?
    >
    > I'd love to throw a T2-based system at it, but from what I can tell
    > the processor speed might not be that much better than a V490.

    The T2 would be awful for the job, performance would easily be divided by
    two. What frequency is the proc in your v490? There are upgrades
    available up to 2.1GHz, it would probably be the easiest solution.
    Otherwise you want to look at either a sparc64 based server or an x64.

+ Reply to Thread