    Thanks,
    - Alex

  2. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    On 2008-04-22, alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have an Ultra 30 and have the same problem with two different CDROM
    > drives. At the ok prompt, I type boot cdrom. I see the message "Boot
    > device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@6,0 [...]" but the machine hangs. I
    > have to physically reset it. A probe-scsi reveals that the drive is
    > detected and at Target 6... Any ideas?

    Where did the CD-ROM itself come from? IME, Suns are not keen to boot from "home
    made" ones.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  3. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    To be fair, I've tried this most recently with a Toshiba XM-4101
    pulled from a Sun 411 enclosure. However, I had initially tried with
    a 32x Teac that admittedly had no connection with Sun.

    On 22 avr, 09:24, Huge wrote:
    > Where did the CD-ROM itself come from? IME, Suns are not keen to boot from "home
    > made" ones.

  4. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    The other thing that doesn't add up is that the Teac works as a boot
    drive for my Sparcstation 20. I'm starting to wonder if there's
    something wrong with the Ultra 30's SCSI controller. If this is true,
    it's odd that probe-scsi has no trouble finding everything on the bus.

    - Alex

    On 22 avr, 10:50, alexandre.laguejacq...@gmail.com wrote:
    > To be fair, I've tried this most recently with a Toshiba XM-4101
    > pulled from a Sun 411 enclosure. *However, I had initially tried with
    > a 32x Teac that admittedly had no connection with Sun.

  5. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    On 2008-04-22, alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com wrote:
    > To be fair, I've tried this most recently with a Toshiba XM-4101
    > pulled from a Sun 411 enclosure. However, I had initially tried with
    > a 32x Teac that admittedly had no connection with Sun.
    >
    > On 22 avr, 09:24, Huge wrote:
    >> Where did the CD-ROM itself come from? IME, Suns are not keen to boot from "home
    >> made" ones.

    The disk, not the drive. Where did the *disk* come from? Did you burn it
    yourself or is it a proper Sun one?

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  6. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    I realize that I may have misunderstood your question. The CD-ROM is
    always a CD-R with Solaris or NetBSD. Note that I'm able to boot
    using a CD-R on the SS20 without too much difficulty.

    On 22 avr, 09:24, Huge wrote:
    > Where did the CD-ROM itself come from? IME, Suns are not keen to boot from "home
    > made" ones.

  7. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    On 2008-04-22, alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have an Ultra 30 and have the same problem with two different CDROM
    > drives. At the ok prompt, I type boot cdrom. I see the message "Boot
    > device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@6,0 [...]" but the machine hangs. I
    > have to physically reset it. A probe-scsi reveals that the drive is
    > detected and at Target 6... Any ideas?

    These are SCSI CD-ROM drives? (I don't know the Ultra 30). And
    are you booting a CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM?

    The SCSI DVD-ROM reader which shipped with the Ultra-2,
    Ultra-60, and SB-[12]000 and Sun Fire 280R (and probably other systems)
    are typically the TOSHIBA SD-M1401, and if the firmware is not recent
    enough, it won't boot from DVD-ROMs, but will boot happily from CD-ROMs.
    Once you have the system booted, it will happily read DVD-ROMS as well
    as CD-ROMs.

    The required firmware level is 1009, which IIRC shows up run
    against the M1401 from probe-scsi-all. If you have an older version,
    then you need to download the firmware patch from Sun. It is called:

    111649-04.jar

    though you may find it more easily without the '.jar' in the search for
    the right patch.

    Hmm ... the FEH shows two possible CD-ROM drives, but no DVD-ROM
    drives. They are the 370-2816 and 370-3415. If your drive is not one
    of these from Sun, you may have a different problem. Most CD-ROM drives
    have default sector size of 1024 bytes (or is it 2048 bytes?), while
    older Suns need a drive which defaults to 512 byte sectors to boot. I
    would think that the Ultra-30 should be late enough to have a OBP which
    can command the drive to 512 byte/sector mode for booting.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  8. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    Hi Don,

    Yes, it's all SCSI on the Ultra 30. (One of the reasons that I bought
    it and not an ATA model although I'm now starting to wonder!)

    By default, the Teac drive does the "modern" block size but has a
    jumper for the 512b mode. I'm trying to make it boot in 2048b mode
    with a burnt CD-R of Solaris 10.

    The odd thing is that if I substitute this CD-R for another CD-R of
    NetBSD for Sparc-32 and put the 512b jumper, the machine starts to
    boot the disque until the NetBSD setup realizes that this is for the
    wrong architecture!

    - Alex

    On 22 avr, 23:40, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

    > * * * * These are SCSI CD-ROM drives? *(I don't know the Ultra 30). *And
    > are you booting a CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM?
    >
    > * * * * The SCSI DVD-ROM reader which shipped with the Ultra-2,
    > Ultra-60, and SB-[12]000 and Sun Fire 280R (and probably other systems)
    > are typically the TOSHIBA SD-M1401, and if the firmware is not recent
    > enough, it won't boot from DVD-ROMs, but will boot happily from CD-ROMs.
    > Once you have the system booted, it will happily read DVD-ROMS as well
    > as CD-ROMs.
    >
    > * * * * The required firmware level is 1009, which IIRC shows up run
    > against the M1401 from probe-scsi-all. *If you have an older version,
    > then you need to download the firmware patch from Sun. *It is called:
    >
    > * * * * 111649-04.jar
    >
    > though you may find it more easily without the '.jar' in the search for
    > the right patch.
    >
    > * * * * Hmm ... the FEH shows two possible CD-ROM drives, but no DVD-ROM
    > drives. *They are the 370-2816 and 370-3415. *If your drive is not one
    > of these from Sun, you may have a different problem. *Most CD-ROM drives
    > have default sector size of 1024 bytes (or is it 2048 bytes?), while
    > older Suns need a drive which defaults to 512 byte sectors to boot. *I
    > would think that the Ultra-30 should be late enough to have a OBP which
    > can command the drive to 512 byte/sector mode for booting.
    >
    > * * * * Good Luck,
    > * * * * * * * * DoN.

  9. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    Yeah I realized that and tried to rectify in the above and below
    posts. All CDs are CD-Rs of either Solaris or NetBSD.

    - Alex

    On 22 avr, 13:02, Huge wrote:

    > > On 22 avr, 09:24, Huge wrote:
    > >> Where did the CD-ROM itself come from? IME, Suns are not keen to boot from "home
    > >> made" ones.

    > The disk, not the drive. Where did the *disk* come from? Did you burn it
    > yourself or is it a proper Sun one?

  10. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    On Apr 23, 6:54 am, alexandre.laguejacq...@gmail.com top posts:
    > Yeah I realized that and tried to rectify in the above and below
    > posts. All CDs are CD-Rs of either Solaris or NetBSD.

    > > The disk, not the drive. Where did the *disk* come from? Did you burn it
    > > yourself or is it a proper Sun one?

    So how many times does Huge have to ask the question before you answer
    it...?
    And please stop top posting

  11. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    ???

    I bought the CD-Rs at Bureau en gros and burnt them from ISO files on
    a Linux PC.

  12. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    On 2008-04-23, alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Don,
    >
    > Yes, it's all SCSI on the Ultra 30. (One of the reasons that I bought
    > it and not an ATA model although I'm now starting to wonder!)
    >
    > By default, the Teac drive does the "modern" block size but has a
    > jumper for the 512b mode. I'm trying to make it boot in 2048b mode
    > with a burnt CD-R of Solaris 10.

    Why? Keep it jumpered for 512 byte blocks. Any Sun should boot
    with that. You may need to update the OPB version to get it to boot
    from the 2048 byte block mode.

    > The odd thing is that if I substitute this CD-R for another CD-R of
    > NetBSD for Sparc-32 and put the 512b jumper, the machine starts to
    > boot the disque until the NetBSD setup realizes that this is for the
    > wrong architecture!

    Ths suggests that the system is looking for 512 byte blocks.
    Jumper it that way and go for the sure thing. Maybe later you can
    download the firmware patch and boot from the 2048 byte blocks -- but
    why bother when you have a drive which can handle the 512 byte blocks?

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  13. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting

    >On 22 avr, 09:24, Huge wrote:
    >> Where did the CD-ROM itself come from? IME, Suns are not keen to boot from "home
    >> made" ones.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  14. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    Thanks for all your suggestions. Just a quick update: the issue, it
    seems, was due to two bad memory sticks. The system didn't detect
    them until I enabled the POST. The fact that a simple command like
    "boot cdrom" caused a freeze should have incited me to try the POST
    straight away. Well that's fixed.

    BTW, DoN., my version of the Openboot PROM on this Ultra 30 seems to
    support both 512 and 2048 byte blocks. Have now been able to boot
    with both. Would mention the version number for posterity, but the
    machine is at home. FWIW.

  15. Re: Ultra 30 won't boot cdrom

    On 2008-05-09, alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for all your suggestions. Just a quick update: the issue, it
    > seems, was due to two bad memory sticks. The system didn't detect
    > them until I enabled the POST. The fact that a simple command like
    > "boot cdrom" caused a freeze should have incited me to try the POST
    > straight away. Well that's fixed.

    Great!

    > BTW, DoN., my version of the Openboot PROM on this Ultra 30 seems to
    > support both 512 and 2048 byte blocks. Have now been able to boot
    > with both. Would mention the version number for posterity, but the
    > machine is at home. FWIW.

    Thanks for that information. I think that the SB-1000 and
    Sun Fire 280R are similarly flexible, but I'm not sure.

    Enjoy your machine,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564