Solaris 10 question - SUN

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 question - SUN ; Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without resorting to sys-unconfig? Thanks, Stuart...

  1. Solaris 10 question

    Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without
    resorting to
    sys-unconfig?

    Thanks,

    Stuart

  2. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Stuart wrote:
    > Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without
    > resorting to
    > sys-unconfig?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stuart

    Yes.

  3. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Stuart wrote:
    >> Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without
    >> resorting to
    >> sys-unconfig?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Stuart

    > Yes.

    HaHA

    edit

    /etc/netmasks
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/defaultrouter
    /etc/hostname.interfaceX

    as needed.

    obviously run ifconfig and any route commands you need so the changes take
    effect before the next reboot.

  4. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >> Stuart wrote:
    >>> Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without
    >>> resorting to
    >>> sys-unconfig?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Stuart

    >> Yes.

    > HaHA

    I DID answer the OP's question! If he needed/wanted more, he could have
    taken a little more care in posing his question!

    See:

  5. Re: Solaris 10 question

    On Apr 21, 4:04 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:

    > I DID answer the OP's question! If he needed/wanted more, he could have
    > taken a little more care in posing his question!

    I think your natural language parser needs some work.

  6. Re: Solaris 10 question

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 01:33:23 -0700, Stuart wrote:

    > Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without
    > resorting to sys-unconfig?

    If you read the man page for sys-unconfig you will see all the files
    which are affected by that utility.

  7. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > See:
    > http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    That's not bad, but too large really for anyone to read. I think it
    could be condensed a lot.

    I don't agree with it all though. For example, between the two lines of
    asterisks, is said to be a stupid not to ask.

    Q:

    How can I use X to do Y?

    If what you want is to do Y, you should ask that question without
    pre-supposing the use of a method that may not be appropriate. Questions
    of this form often indicate a person who is not merely ignorant about X,
    but confused about what problem Y they are solving and too fixated on
    the details of their particular situation. It is generally best to
    ignore such people until they define their problem better.

    Whether that is a bad question to ask depends on the context. There are
    often a 1000 ways of doing Y, but sometimes one might to use tool X, if
    it happens to be free, or readily available to one.

    It must be said, the original post was a pretty good example of a bad
    question, with a bad subject line.

  8. Re: Solaris 10 question

    On Apr 21, 5:04 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > >> Yes.

    > > HaHA

    > I DID answer the OP's question! If he needed/wanted more, he could have
    > taken a little more care in posing his question!
    >
    > See:http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Everybody's a comedian.

    Thanx.

    Stuart

  9. Re: Solaris 10 question

    On Apr 21, 4:51 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    > > Stuart wrote:
    > >> Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without
    > >> resorting to
    > >> sys-unconfig?

    > >> Thanks,

    > >> Stuart

    > > Yes.

    > HaHA
    >
    > edit
    >
    > /etc/netmasks
    > /etc/hosts
    > /etc/defaultrouter
    > /etc/hostname.interfaceX
    >
    > as needed.

    Thats what I thought, but after I rebooted it still came up with the
    same old stuff. Maybe I messed up somewhere.. I'll check.

    Stuart

  10. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Stuart wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 4:51 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >> HaHA
    >>
    >> edit
    >>
    >> /etc/netmasks
    >> /etc/hosts
    >> /etc/defaultrouter
    >> /etc/hostname.interfaceX
    >>
    >> as needed.
    >>

    > Thats what I thought, but after I rebooted it still came up with the
    > same old stuff. Maybe I messed up somewhere.. I'll check.
    >
    > Stuart

    Check the man page for sys-unconfig. Make sure that you edited ALL the
    files. It's generally easier to use sys-unconfig; it knows what to do
    and does it. Just be sure that you want what it does!!

    It's also possible that your system has a startup script that sets all
    this stuff on each reboot! I'm almost certain that no version of
    Solaris behaves that way out of the box but someone could have modified
    your system.

  11. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Stuart wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 4:51 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >> HaHA
    >>
    >> edit
    >>
    >> /etc/netmasks
    >> /etc/hosts
    >> /etc/defaultrouter
    >> /etc/hostname.interfaceX
    >>
    >> as needed.
    >>

    > Thats what I thought, but after I rebooted it still came up with the
    > same old stuff. Maybe I messed up somewhere.. I'll check.
    >
    > Stuart

    Had the same problem recently, did sys-unconfig that worked.
    the server was not solaris 10, but solaris half past 10.
    sparc nevada b77.
    /Jorgen

  12. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Uzytkownik "Stuart" napisal w wiadomosci
    > On Apr 21, 4:51 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >> > Yes.

    >> HaHA
    >>
    >> edit
    >>
    >> /etc/netmasks
    >> /etc/hosts
    >> /etc/defaultrouter
    >> /etc/hostname.interfaceX
    >>
    >> as needed.
    >>

    > Thats what I thought, but after I rebooted it still came up with the
    > same old stuff. Maybe I messed up somewhere.. I'll check.

    Check /etc/inet/hosts. /etc/host should be a symlink to /etc/inet/hosts

    MaW

  13. Re: Solaris 10 question

    "Mariusz Wolek" writes:

    > Check /etc/inet/hosts. /etc/host should be a symlink to /etc/inet/hosts

    and /etc/inet/ipnodes should be a symlink to /etc/inet/hosts
    --
    Gummileinen nur für Gummihunde!

  14. Re: Solaris 10 question

    Horst Scheuermann wrote:
    > "Mariusz Wolek" writes:
    >
    >> Check /etc/inet/hosts. /etc/host should be a symlink to /etc/inet/hosts

    > and /etc/inet/ipnodes should be a symlink to /etc/inet/hosts

    And it is AFAIK.

    thommym@schumi:~$ ls -l /etc/inet/ipnodes
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jun 8 2007 /etc/inet/ipnodes
    -> ./hosts

  15. Re: Solaris 10 question

    ya, you only need to change /etc/inet/ipnodes....then reboot. that is it.

    "Dave Uhring" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 01:33:23 -0700, Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> Is there away to permanently change the netmask and IP address without
    >> resorting to sys-unconfig?

    > If you read the man page for sys-unconfig you will see all the files
    > which are affected by that utility.

+ Reply to Thread