sun calendar & dsee6 on CentOS machine-- need to return to preinstallconfiguration - SUN

This is a discussion on sun calendar & dsee6 on CentOS machine-- need to return to preinstallconfiguration - SUN ; I have been working on getting a calendar server functional for my WAN for some time now. My initial attempts were on a CentOS4.x machine, and all failed as I learned the various dependencies, got OpenLDAP working, realized that Directory ...

  1. sun calendar & dsee6 on CentOS machine-- need to return to preinstallconfiguration

    I have been working on getting a calendar server functional for my WAN
    for some time now. My initial attempts were on a CentOS4.x machine,
    and all failed as I learned the various dependencies, got OpenLDAP
    working, realized that Directory Server needed less schema
    configuration, etc... This was using both suite's install scripts, a
    configurator.sh script, and a comm_dssetup.pl script.

    After quite awhile on this issue, I figured that perhaps I should try
    installation on a Solaris native machine. The install scripts just
    didn't work on this after trying with a few different Solaris 10
    configurations.

    Now I think that I've finally learned enough to get Calendar &
    Directory Server operational on a CentOS4.x machine. However the
    previous configuration attempts made by the scripts on my
    aforementioned machine are 'breaking' the script, as it will not
    attempt to modify existing configurations for a few of the items that
    need to be installed.

    Reinstalling the OS is not an option on this machine. Is there any way
    that I can remove the previous installation attempts from this machine
    other than writing a script to take the filelisting of the original
    archive and iterating through to remove each file from the filesystem?
    I'm pretty sure that won't even work anyway as the scripts surely
    shuffled a few items to new places on the existing filesystem. I do
    not know enough about the 'proprietary' heirarchy that Sun uses to
    know where to go to remove these components.

    Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated; I am overdue on
    this project and I need to get a new Calendar server functioning as
    soon as possible.

    Thanks in advance.

    Damon Getsman

    Damon Getsman on
    comp.sys.sun.admin

    Damon Getsman on
    comp.sys.sun.admin

    (related to the same issue)

  2. Re: sun calendar & dsee6 on CentOS machine-- need to return topreinstall configuration

    On Apr 17, 10:28 am, Damon Getsman wrote:
    ....etc etc etc...
    > Now I think that I've finally learned enough to get Calendar &
    > Directory Server operational on a CentOS4.x machine. However the
    > previous configuration attempts made by the scripts on my
    > aforementioned machine are 'breaking' the script, as it will not
    > attempt to modify existing configurations for a few of the items that
    > need to be installed.
    >
    > Reinstalling the OS is not an option on this machine. Is there any way
    > that I can remove the previous installation attempts from this machine
    > other than writing a script to take the filelisting of the original
    > archive and iterating through to remove each file from the filesystem?
    > I'm pretty sure that won't even work anyway as the scripts surely
    > shuffled a few items to new places on the existing filesystem. I do
    > not know enough about the 'proprietary' heirarchy that Sun uses to
    > know where to go to remove these components.
    >
    > Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated; I am overdue on
    > this project and I need to get a new Calendar server functioning as
    > soon as possible.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Damon Getsman

    For anybody that may have been curious about this issue, I finally
    found a way to fix the machine:

    I actually tried that with the first few attempts I made. It was to no
    avail. I kept searching for more files and found them in different
    directory locations, such as a few hiding under /etc/opt, and the
    like. Eventually I found and wiped everything that I could just from a
    standard directory search; the sun installer files still insisted that
    a bunch of the Commsuite utilites were installed and configured on the
    system.

    After much hair pulling and digging I eventually found that the
    Linux_86 distribution of Commsuite seems to want to use the system rpm
    package database for registering whether or not certain aspects have
    been installed/configured or not. I eventually got to the point I was
    looking for with the following kludge:

    rpm -q -a|grep sun > sunpackages.list;rpm -q -a|grep SUN >>
    sunpackages.list

    (to determine what packages were installed--there were several
    screenfulls), followed by:

    rpm -e `cat sunpackages.list`

    Honestly, I was fairly horrified that it took that just to be able to
    reconfigure the package.

    I wouldn't do anything like this unless it is absolutely necessary.
    After several reinstalls and removals by this preceding method, I
    eventually broke the rpm database on my target machine. That's
    probably due to a hasty and overcaffinated ^C during rpm database
    access, though.

    Just thought I'd get that out there in case anybody else has had
    problems like this. Oh the target machine was CentOS4.x, btw.

    - Damon Getsman

    Linux/budding Solaris Systems Administrator

+ Reply to Thread