Compaq DL760 as Sunray server? - SUN

This is a discussion on Compaq DL760 as Sunray server? - SUN ; Would a DL760 make a good Sunray server running Solaris 10? Would Solaris 10 make good use of all eight processors and all eight gigabytes of RAM and the gigabit ethernet? Is there a driver for the memory manager PCI ...

  1. Compaq DL760 as Sunray server?

    Would a DL760 make a good Sunray server running Solaris 10?
    Would Solaris 10 make good use of all eight processors and all
    eight gigabytes of RAM and the gigabit ethernet? Is there a driver
    for the memory manager PCI cards? How well would Solaris work
    with the 2 gigabit fibre channel cards?

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  2. Re: Compaq DL760 as Sunray server?

    Barry OGrady wrote:
    > Would a DL760 make a good Sunray server running Solaris 10?
    > Would Solaris 10 make good use of all eight processors and all
    > eight gigabytes of RAM and the gigabit ethernet? Is there a driver
    > for the memory manager PCI cards? How well would Solaris work
    > with the 2 gigabit fibre channel cards?
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    The server itself should work fine, Solaris has no problems scaling to 8
    CPU and 8 gigs of mem. The ethernet controller and other stuf you would
    probably have to give some more info on, if we were to give you some
    help on that.

    /tony

  3. Re: Compaq DL760 as Sunray server?

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:38:56 +0200, none <""tony\"@(none)albers-data.dk"> wrote:

    >Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> Would a DL760 make a good Sunray server running Solaris 10?
    >> Would Solaris 10 make good use of all eight processors and all
    >> eight gigabytes of RAM and the gigabit ethernet? Is there a driver
    >> for the memory manager PCI cards? How well would Solaris work
    >> with the 2 gigabit fibre channel cards?
    >>
    >> Barry
    >> =====
    >> Home page
    >> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    >The server itself should work fine, Solaris has no problems scaling to 8
    >CPU and 8 gigs of mem. The ethernet controller and other stuf you would
    >probably have to give some more info on, if we were to give you some
    >help on that.

    Thanks.
    The gigabit ethernet controller is a HP NC7770.
    The 2 gigabit fibre channel cards are Qlogic 2300..
    It has a Smart Array 5312 controller.

    I am currently running Windows Server 2003 on it. I had to enable PAE so
    that Windows could see more than 4 gigs RAM. I understand that is a 32
    bit limitation. Would Solaris have the same limitations?

    >/tony

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  4. Re: Compaq DL760 as Sunray server?

    On Apr 13, 12:55 pm, Barry OGrady wrote:

    > I am currently running Windows Server 2003 on it. I had to enable PAE so
    > that Windows could see more than 4 gigs RAM. I understand that is a 32
    > bit limitation. Would Solaris have the same limitations?

    Presumably it has a 64bit-capable CPU, so definitely not.

  5. Re: Compaq DL760 as Sunray server?

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 03:14:10 -0700 (PDT), Tim Bradshaw wrote:

    >On Apr 13, 12:55 pm, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >

    >> I am currently running Windows Server 2003 on it. I had to enable PAE so
    >> that Windows could see more than 4 gigs RAM. I understand that is a 32
    >> bit limitation. Would Solaris have the same limitations?

    >Presumably it has a 64bit-capable CPU, so definitely not.

    It has eight Pentium 3s.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  6. Re: Compaq DL760 as Sunray server?

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:55:35 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:38:56 +0200, none <""tony\"@(none)albers-data.dk"> wrote:
    >
    >>Barry OGrady wrote:
    >>> Would a DL760 make a good Sunray server running Solaris 10?
    >>> Would Solaris 10 make good use of all eight processors and all
    >>> eight gigabytes of RAM and the gigabit ethernet? Is there a driver
    >>> for the memory manager PCI cards? How well would Solaris work
    >>> with the 2 gigabit fibre channel cards?
    >>>
    >>> Barry

    >>The server itself should work fine, Solaris has no problems scaling to 8
    >>CPU and 8 gigs of mem. The ethernet controller and other stuf you would
    >>probably have to give some more info on, if we were to give you some
    >>help on that.

    >Thanks.
    >The gigabit ethernet controller is a HP NC7770.
    >The 2 gigabit fibre channel cards are Qlogic 2300..
    >It has a Smart Array 5312 controller.
    >
    >I am currently running Windows Server 2003 on it. I had to enable PAE so
    >that Windows could see more than 4 gigs RAM. I understand that is a 32
    >bit limitation. Would Solaris have the same limitations?

    Solaris 10 appears to be running 100% on the DL760 now.
    I had to include a driver for the array controller before install could see the
    hard drives, and I had to install a driver for the NC7770 gigabit ethernet
    and manually configure network information.

    >>/tony

    >Barry

    Barry
    =====