VME interfacing - SUN

This is a discussion on VME interfacing - SUN ; Any suggestions on interfacing a Solaris-based server to a VME chassis ? Our server needs to interface with a legacy VME processor via VME shared memory. Our server can be x86 or SPARC. What I have found so far are ...

  1. VME interfacing

    Any suggestions on interfacing a Solaris-based server to a VME chassis ? Our
    server needs to interface with a legacy VME processor via VME shared memory.
    Our server can be x86 or SPARC.

    What I have found so far are products that bring the VME into the server via
    a PCI board: the 801 from GE Fanuc and the 8022 from Nat. Instr.

    Another possibility could be a VME processor board that provides ethernet
    out to the server. Any VME processor boards that run Solaris that people
    want to comment on ? I'm aware of the Themis SPARC-based product.

    Thanks very much for your help !

    Fran Horan
    JHU/APL

  2. Re: VME interfacing

    Fran Horan wrote:
    > Any suggestions on interfacing a Solaris-based server to a VME chassis ? Our
    > server needs to interface with a legacy VME processor via VME shared memory.
    > Our server can be x86 or SPARC.
    >
    > What I have found so far are products that bring the VME into the server via
    > a PCI board: the 801 from GE Fanuc and the 8022 from Nat. Instr.
    >
    > Another possibility could be a VME processor board that provides ethernet
    > out to the server. Any VME processor boards that run Solaris that people
    > want to comment on ? I'm aware of the Themis SPARC-based product.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help !
    >
    > Fran Horan
    > JHU/APL

    Are there any VME to GPIB interfaces? Its the sort of thing I would not
    be surprosed if were available (try NI). GPIB boards for solaris are
    readily available, although there is an issue on solaris 10, but that
    can be overcome by remoing the ib driver and any packages that depend on it.

  3. Re: VME interfacing

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:15:23 -0400, "Fran Horan"
    wrote:

    >Any suggestions on interfacing a Solaris-based server to a VME chassis ? Our
    >server needs to interface with a legacy VME processor via VME shared memory.
    >Our server can be x86 or SPARC.
    >
    >What I have found so far are products that bring the VME into the server via
    >a PCI board: the 801 from GE Fanuc and the 8022 from Nat. Instr.
    >
    >Another possibility could be a VME processor board that provides ethernet
    >out to the server. Any VME processor boards that run Solaris that people
    >want to comment on ? I'm aware of the Themis SPARC-based product.

    Any of the many VME Based x86 PC VME provessor boards should be able
    to run Solaris. VMIC for instance. www.gefanucembedded.com
    They also do reflective memory boards for both VME bus and PCI bus
    which you can use.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

  4. Re: VME interfacing

    "Anton Erasmus" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:15:23 -0400, "Fran Horan"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Any suggestions on interfacing a Solaris-based server to a VME chassis ?

    Our
    > >server needs to interface with a legacy VME processor via VME shared

    memory.
    > >Our server can be x86 or SPARC.
    > >
    > >What I have found so far are products that bring the VME into the server

    via
    > >a PCI board: the 801 from GE Fanuc and the 8022 from Nat. Instr.
    > >
    > >Another possibility could be a VME processor board that provides ethernet
    > >out to the server. Any VME processor boards that run Solaris that people
    > >want to comment on ? I'm aware of the Themis SPARC-based product.
    > >

    > Any of the many VME Based x86 PC VME provessor boards should be able
    > to run Solaris. VMIC for instance. www.gefanucembedded.com
    > They also do reflective memory boards for both VME bus and PCI bus
    > which you can use.
    >
    > Regards
    > Anton Erasmus

    Thanks Anton, I was wondering about x86, and also felt there ought to be
    some out there capable of running Solaris. Can anyone report specific x86
    board(s) ?

    I have a data sheet on the VR11 GE Fanuc x86 board that says on page 1 it
    supports Solaris, but then does not list Solaris as a supported OS on page
    3. Also, the local rep does not see Solaris support in his catalog. So this
    is not encouraging for this particular example.

    Another source I consulted for VME processors but with no success is Sun's
    Hardware Compatibility List at:

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

    This database supports a flexible option: " 'Reported to Work' " based on
    customer's self-installation and informal testing." If any VME board
    vendors or users have Solaris working, this database and classification may
    be easy for them to use. I'd appreciate a heads-up if anyone makes a VME
    entry.

    Thanks,

    Fran Horan
    JHU/APL

  5. Re: VME interfacing

    Hi,

    Fran Horan wrote:
    > Any suggestions on interfacing a Solaris-based server to a VME chassis ? Our
    > server needs to interface with a legacy VME processor via VME shared memory.
    > Our server can be x86 or SPARC.
    >
    > What I have found so far are products that bring the VME into the server via
    > a PCI board: the 801 from GE Fanuc and the 8022 from Nat. Instr.
    >
    > Another possibility could be a VME processor board that provides ethernet
    > out to the server. Any VME processor boards that run Solaris that people
    > want to comment on ? I'm aware of the Themis SPARC-based product.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help !
    >
    > Fran Horan
    > JHU/APL

    Concurrent perphaps.

    I have not use the VME board but cPCI from them which works fine exept
    for the graphics adapter but I have never had any need of it...

    check this one out.

    http://www.gocct.com/sheets/vp42623x.htm

    /michael

  6. Re: VME interfacing

    Hi again,

    Fran Horan wrote:
    > Any suggestions on interfacing a Solaris-based server to a VME chassis ? Our
    > server needs to interface with a legacy VME processor via VME shared memory.
    > Our server can be x86 or SPARC.
    >
    > What I have found so far are products that bring the VME into the server via
    > a PCI board: the 801 from GE Fanuc and the 8022 from Nat. Instr.
    >
    > Another possibility could be a VME processor board that provides ethernet
    > out to the server. Any VME processor boards that run Solaris that people
    > want to comment on ? I'm aware of the Themis SPARC-based product.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help !
    >
    > Fran Horan
    > JHU/APL

    missed to link Themis also