Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10 - SUN

This is a discussion on Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10 - SUN ; We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10 on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100 that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will blank properly ...

  1. Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
    on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
    that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
    blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
    of inactivity.

    Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
    and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
    the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
    the secondary framebuffer is to log out.

    I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
    but there never seemed to be a solution.

    Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  2. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland wrote:
    > We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
    > on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
    > that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
    > blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
    > of inactivity.
    >
    > Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
    > and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
    > the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
    > the secondary framebuffer is to log out.
    >
    > I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
    > but there never seemed to be a solution.
    >
    > Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    > --
    > Jeff Wieland

    Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.

  3. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland wrote:
    > We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
    > on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
    > that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
    > blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
    > of inactivity.
    >
    > Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
    > and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
    > the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
    > the secondary framebuffer is to log out.
    >
    > I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
    > but there never seemed to be a solution.
    >
    > Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    > --
    > Jeff Wieland

    Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.

  4. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    On Mar 25, 11:44 am, vinayaga wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland wrote:
    >

    > > We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
    > > on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
    > > that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
    > > blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
    > > of inactivity.

    > > Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
    > > and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
    > > the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
    > > the secondary framebuffer is to log out.

    > > I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
    > > but there never seemed to be a solution.

    > > Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    > > --
    > > Jeff Wieland

    > Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.

    sorry to update the syntax.
    timout: 10:00:00 # 10 hours no blank screen

    vinayag

  5. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    On Mar 25, 11:44 am, vinayaga wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland wrote:
    >

    > > We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
    > > on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
    > > that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
    > > blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
    > > of inactivity.

    > > Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
    > > and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
    > > the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
    > > the secondary framebuffer is to log out.

    > > I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
    > > but there never seemed to be a solution.

    > > Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    > > --
    > > Jeff Wieland

    > Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.

    sorry to update the syntax.
    timout: 10:00:00 # 10 hours no blank screen

    vinayag

  6. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    Jeff,

    I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    hardware and/or power management functions.

    Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.

    So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.

    Chris

  7. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    Jeff,

    I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    hardware and/or power management functions.

    Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.

    So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.

    Chris

  8. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    In article <139fdbd3-5db3-4f5e-96e6-c677b5a26dc3@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> ChrisS writes:
    >Jeff,
    >
    >I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    >screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    >with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    >Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    >24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    >hardware and/or power management functions.
    >
    >Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    >XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
    >
    >So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
    >
    >Chris

    They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.

    BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  9. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    In article <139fdbd3-5db3-4f5e-96e6-c677b5a26dc3@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> ChrisS writes:
    >Jeff,
    >
    >I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    >screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    >with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    >Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    >24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    >hardware and/or power management functions.
    >
    >Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    >XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
    >
    >So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
    >
    >Chris

    They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.

    BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  10. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    In article Jeff Wieland writes:
    >In article <139fdbd3-5db3-4f5e-96e6-c677b5a26dc3@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> ChrisS writes:
    >>Jeff,
    >>
    >>I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    >>screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    >>with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    >>Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    >>24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    >>hardware and/or power management functions.
    >>
    >>Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    >>XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
    >>
    >>So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
    >>
    >>Chris
    >>

    >They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.
    >
    >BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
    >--
    >Jeff Wieland

    After a system reboot, the monitor will blank after 10 minutes,
    and unblank at 30 minutes.

    As far as I can tell, Xsun is set blank after 10 minutes. The output
    from "xset q" looks like (I get this from my /etc/dt/config/Xsetup
    script):

    Screen Saver:
    prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
    timeout: 600 cycle: 600
    [stuff deleted]
    DPMS (Energy Star):
    Standby: 1440 Suspend: 1620 Off: 1800
    DPMS is enabled
    Monitor is on
    FBPM (Frame Buffer Power Management):
    System is not capable of FBPM

    I've tried having turning off DPMS and powerd, but we get the
    same result. Weird.

    --
    Jeff Wieland

  11. Re: Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

    In article Jeff Wieland writes:
    >In article <139fdbd3-5db3-4f5e-96e6-c677b5a26dc3@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> ChrisS writes:
    >>Jeff,
    >>
    >>I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    >>screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    >>with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    >>Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    >>24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    >>hardware and/or power management functions.
    >>
    >>Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    >>XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
    >>
    >>So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
    >>
    >>Chris
    >>

    >They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.
    >
    >BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
    >--
    >Jeff Wieland

    After a system reboot, the monitor will blank after 10 minutes,
    and unblank at 30 minutes.

    As far as I can tell, Xsun is set blank after 10 minutes. The output
    from "xset q" looks like (I get this from my /etc/dt/config/Xsetup
    script):

    Screen Saver:
    prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
    timeout: 600 cycle: 600
    [stuff deleted]
    DPMS (Energy Star):
    Standby: 1440 Suspend: 1620 Off: 1800
    DPMS is enabled
    Monitor is on
    FBPM (Frame Buffer Power Management):
    System is not capable of FBPM

    I've tried having turning off DPMS and powerd, but we get the
    same result. Weird.

    --
    Jeff Wieland

+ Reply to Thread