Barcelona workstation? - SUN

This is a discussion on Barcelona workstation? - SUN ; Hi All, I read that AMD fixed the TLB errata in the quad-core Opteron ("Barcelona") chips and are relaunching them in April. Anyone know if Sun are going to launch a workstation or two with those CPUs? I am thinking ...

  1. Barcelona workstation?

    Hi All,

    I read that AMD fixed the TLB errata in the quad-core Opteron
    ("Barcelona") chips and are relaunching them in April.

    Anyone know if Sun are going to launch a workstation or two with those
    CPUs? I am thinking that a refreshed Ultra 40 with two quad-core
    Opterons might be rather tasty.

    Chris

  2. Re: Barcelona workstation?

    Chris Morgan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I read that AMD fixed the TLB errata in the quad-core Opteron
    > ("Barcelona") chips and are relaunching them in April.
    >
    > Anyone know if Sun are going to launch a workstation or two with those
    > CPUs? I am thinking that a refreshed Ultra 40 with two quad-core
    > Opterons might be rather tasty.
    >
    > Chris

    Is Sun even IN the workstation market any more? I thought they dropped it.

  3. Re: Barcelona workstation?

    CJT writes:

    >Is Sun even IN the workstation market any more? I thought they dropped it.

    Sun recently added the Ultra 24 (Intel based) and still sells the
    Ultra 20 and 40 (Opteron based) and refreshes them for each new
    CPUs.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: Barcelona workstation?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Chris Morgan wrote:

    > Anyone know if Sun are going to launch a workstation or two with those CPUs? I
    > am thinking that a refreshed Ultra 40 with two quad-core Opterons might be
    > rather tasty.

    Very tasty indeed! (Hi CHris!)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  5. Re: Barcelona workstation?

    Rich Teer writes:

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Chris Morgan wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know if Sun are going to launch a workstation or two with those CPUs? I
    > > am thinking that a refreshed Ultra 40 with two quad-core Opterons might be
    > > rather tasty.

    > Very tasty indeed! (Hi CHris!)

    Hi!

    In addition to the sheer processing power the new Barcelona core has
    some other interesting features, for example improved support for code
    profiling. I think I'm going to have to get me one. We'll see if the
    Sun offering fits the budget. Ultra 24, in particular, seems to have
    very keen pricing - very encouraging. I just have an interest in AMD
    CPUs. I enjoy using my Ultra 40 at the office...

    Chris

    --
    Chris Morgan http://www.mihalis.net
    Temp sig. - Enquire within

  6. Re: Barcelona workstation?

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Chris Morgan wrote:

    > Sun offering fits the budget. Ultra 24, in particular, seems to have
    > very keen pricing - very encouraging. I just have an interest in AMD
    > CPUs. I enjoy using my Ultra 40 at the office...

    Agreed on both counts (Ultra 24 pricing and interest in AMD CPUs)!

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer