uname reports old kernel after patching - SUN

This is a discussion on uname reports old kernel after patching - SUN ; I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster. All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as the kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show 122300-21. What's wrong ...

  1. uname reports old kernel after patching

    I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster.
    All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as
    the
    kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show
    122300-21.
    What's wrong with that one box? I applied 122300-21 to it and it
    even
    shows up in 'showrev -p'
    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    On Mar 20, 11:15 am, The Derfer wrote:
    > I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster.
    > All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as
    > the
    > kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show
    > 122300-21.
    > What's wrong with that one box? I applied 122300-21 to it and it
    > even
    > shows up in 'showrev -p'
    > Thanks in advance

    Anyone?

  3. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    On Mar 20, 11:15 am, The Derfer wrote:
    > I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster.
    > All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as
    > the
    > kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show
    > 122300-21.
    > What's wrong with that one box? I applied 122300-21 to it and it
    > even
    > shows up in 'showrev -p'
    > Thanks in advance

    Anyone?

  4. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    Hi,

    is / mirrored (e.g. SDS etc.)? If yes, then please double check that
    the bootdisk (used from the OBP, e.g. "rootdisk" or "rootmirror") is
    the same as the rootdisk (e.g. still active in "metastat" output etc.).

    Bye,
    Wolfgang.

    The Derfer wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 11:15 am, The Derfer wrote:
    >> I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster.
    >> All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as
    >> the
    >> kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show
    >> 122300-21.
    >> What's wrong with that one box? I applied 122300-21 to it and it
    >> even
    >> shows up in 'showrev -p'
    >> Thanks in advance

    > Anyone?

  5. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    The Derfer wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 11:15 am, The Derfer wrote:
    >> I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster.
    >> All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as
    >> the
    >> kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show
    >> 122300-21.
    >> What's wrong with that one box? I applied 122300-21 to it and it
    >> even
    >> shows up in 'showrev -p'
    >> Thanks in advance

    > Anyone?

  6. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    The Derfer wrote:
    > I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster.
    > All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as
    > the kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show
    > 122300-21.

    And you *did* reboot all of the machines after installing the patches?
    With "uname -a" you get the version of the running kernel, not the one
    on disk.

    mp.
    --
    SysAdmin | Institute of Scientific Computing, University of Vienna
    PCA | Analyze, download and install patches for Solaris
    | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/

  7. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    The Derfer wrote:
    > I just patched several boxes with the Recommended & Security cluster.
    > All the boxes are the same (Solaris 9) but one reports 122300-19 as
    > the kernel when I use 'uname -a' and all the others correctly show
    > 122300-21.

    And you *did* reboot all of the machines after installing the patches?
    With "uname -a" you get the version of the running kernel, not the one
    on disk.

    mp.
    --
    SysAdmin | Institute of Scientific Computing, University of Vienna
    PCA | Analyze, download and install patches for Solaris
    | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/

  8. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    And if it turns out that the system boots from a stale submirror, then
    reboot the system from the good submirror and resync/metareplace the
    mirror.

    Seen this several times. Was very puzzled the first time :-)

  9. Re: uname reports old kernel after patching

    And if it turns out that the system boots from a stale submirror, then
    reboot the system from the good submirror and resync/metareplace the
    mirror.

    Seen this several times. Was very puzzled the first time :-)

+ Reply to Thread