HP printers - SUN

This is a discussion on HP printers - SUN ; Hi there ! Can anybody tell what's special about HP network printers? Even the Solaris man pages treat them in s special manner and indeed, I'm havong some trouble now. On an old E280R running Solaris 8, JetAdmin is installed ...

  1. HP printers

    Hi there !

    Can anybody tell what's special about HP network printers? Even the Solaris
    man pages treat them in s special manner and indeed, I'm havong some
    trouble now.

    On an old E280R running Solaris 8, JetAdmin is installed and printing on a
    LJ4100 work perfectly. Now I have a V20z running Solaris 10 and printing to
    that HP work as long as I use the E280R as print server. I have configured
    a local printer on the V20z and it doesn't work. The funny thing is that
    when I configure it exactly the same way on the SPARC box (not using
    JetAdmin), it also works.
    It seems that some traffic arrives at the printer as it complains about
    paper mismatch. But I requested A4 which is definitely present.

    /etc/lp/printers/jet4100 looks like this:

    Banner: off
    Content types: postscript
    Device: /dev/null
    Interface: /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard_foomatic
    Printer type: PS
    Modules:

    and I also tried it without port 9100

    Any ideas?

    fw

  2. Re: HP printers

    In article <62o2o8F23vkteU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Frank Winkler wrote:

    > Hi there !
    >
    > Can anybody tell what's special about HP network printers? Even the Solaris
    > man pages treat them in s special manner and indeed, I'm havong some
    > trouble now.
    >
    > On an old E280R running Solaris 8, JetAdmin is installed and printing on a
    > LJ4100 work perfectly. Now I have a V20z running Solaris 10 and printing to
    > that HP work as long as I use the E280R as print server. I have configured
    > a local printer on the V20z and it doesn't work. The funny thing is that
    > when I configure it exactly the same way on the SPARC box (not using
    > JetAdmin), it also works.
    > It seems that some traffic arrives at the printer as it complains about
    > paper mismatch. But I requested A4 which is definitely present.
    >
    > /etc/lp/printers/jet4100 looks like this:
    >
    > Banner: off
    > Content types: postscript
    > Device: /dev/null
    > Interface: /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard_foomatic
    > Printer type: PS
    > Modules:
    >
    > and I also tried it without port 9100
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > fw

    I recall that Solaris uses the SVR4 printing system and the JetAdmin
    software to connect to the JetAdmin card on an HP printer. It uses hpnp
    to do that actual network connection and transfer the print file to the
    printer's queue. Prior to the transfer, it uses a special script that
    allows for formatting, tray control, etc. to prepend stuff to the print
    job. I don't know if CUPS or whatever is in use on Solaris now will
    work directly with a network-attached HP printer without JetAdmin. It
    seems your problems would show that it won't.

    You've currently got the printer setup to use the E280R as a print
    server so that print jobs spool through it. You want to print directly
    to the printer instead. Install the JetAdmin software and that might
    solve your problem.

  3. Re: HP printers

    Frank Winkler writes:

    >On an old E280R running Solaris 8, JetAdmin is installed and printing on a
    >LJ4100 work perfectly. Now I have a V20z running Solaris 10 and printing to
    >that HP work as long as I use the E280R as print server. I have configured
    >a local printer on the V20z and it doesn't work. The funny thing is that
    >when I configure it exactly the same way on the SPARC box (not using
    >JetAdmin), it also works.
    >It seems that some traffic arrives at the printer as it complains about
    >paper mismatch. But I requested A4 which is definitely present.

    Sounds like the Jetdirect initializes the printer a little differently
    than the foomatic software on Solaris 10.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  4. Re: HP printers

    Michael Vilain wrote:

    >to the printer instead. Install the JetAdmin software and that might
    >solve your problem.

    I would if I knew why exactly it's necessary - and if it was available for
    Solaris 10 on x64.

    Regards

    fw

  5. Re: HP printers

    Greg Andrews wrote:

    >Sounds like the Jetdirect initializes the printer a little differently
    >than the foomatic software on Solaris 10.

    I think I found it now!
    It once configured the HP with a PPD file but later edited that file,
    replacing "Letter" by "A4". no changes in results. So I dumped the PPD out
    of the config file, no changes again. Yes, I restarted lpsched after each
    change.

    Now I found that after adding the printer, a separate copy of the (first)
    PPD is created in /etc/lp/ppd - now I edited that one, restarted lpsched
    and the printers works fine with A4 loaded. It's a little bit funny that
    the PPD location used on setup is only used once.

    Regards

    fw

  6. Re: HP printers

    Frank Winkler wrote:
    > Michael Vilain wrote:
    >
    > >to the printer instead. Install the JetAdmin software and that might
    > >solve your problem.

    > I would if I knew why exactly it's necessary - and if it was available
    > for Solaris 10 on x64.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > fw

    JetAdmin software is NOT "necessary". It just supplies a lot of stuff
    that you would otherwise have to write yourself! And ISTR that Solaris
    10 (SPARC) just asked me to pick my printer, make and model, from a list
    of manufacturers and models which I did and it just worked!!!!! A long
    overdue enhancement IMHO.

  7. Re: HP printers

    On Feb 29, 8:01 am, Frank Winkler wrote:

    > I would if I knew why exactly it's necessary - and if it was available for
    > Solaris 10 on x64.

    It is not as far as I know. You can make it work on S10/SPARC but
    there are no binaries for x86.

+ Reply to Thread