72g drives in Ultra 60 - SUN

This is a discussion on 72g drives in Ultra 60 - SUN ; Folks, Assuming I can find a "not-too-expensive" 72g drive will it fit in my sun ultra-60. Note I don't want to boot from it... Dave....

  1. 72g drives in Ultra 60

    Folks,
    Assuming I can find a "not-too-expensive" 72g drive will it fit in my
    sun ultra-60. Note I don't want to boot from it...
    Dave.

  2. Re: 72g drives in Ultra 60

    Dave writes:
    > Assuming I can find a "not-too-expensive" 72g drive will it fit in my
    >sun ultra-60. Note I don't want to boot from it...

    Any drive that will fit will work. You don't have to worry about
    booting from it unless its something really odd (ie. IDE drive with a
    protocol bridge or something).
    That should be a SCSI SCA 3.5" form factor.

    Unfortunately, 73GB drives are still in high-demand (my guess is as
    repair items for all the zillions of servers/RAID systems that used
    them originally).

    New 73GB drives regularly go for $180-$250.

    Used drives around up around $100 depending on how much warrantee you
    want, and for the lesser brands (ie. Maxtor Atlas, gauranteed to fail
    sometime soonish right after the warantee expires..

    You can still pay $180-$200 on eBay for unknown status 73GB
    drives..

    I kept waiting for them to come down for my own repair needs, but they
    seemed to go up and up and up..

  3. Re: 72g drives in Ultra 60

    "Doug McIntyre" wrote in message
    news:4794c655$0$83236$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.oct anews.com...
    > Dave writes:
    >> Assuming I can find a "not-too-expensive" 72g drive will it fit in my
    >>sun ultra-60. Note I don't want to boot from it...

    > Any drive that will fit will work. You don't have to worry about
    > booting from it unless its something really odd (ie. IDE drive with a
    > protocol bridge or something).
    > That should be a SCSI SCA 3.5" form factor.

    OK. I assumed that, but the info on the Sun Docs only goes up to 32, which I
    should have mentioned...

    > Unfortunately, 73GB drives are still in high-demand (my guess is as
    > repair items for all the zillions of servers/RAID systems that used
    > them originally).
    >
    > New 73GB drives regularly go for $180-$250.
    >
    > Used drives around up around $100 depending on how much warrantee you
    > want, and for the lesser brands (ie. Maxtor Atlas, gauranteed to fail
    > sometime soonish right after the warantee expires..
    >
    > You can still pay $180-$200 on eBay for unknown status 73GB
    > drives..

    What about this:-

    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(12406)...isk-drive.aspx

    would thi work? is Fujitsu a reasonable make....

    > I kept waiting for them to come down for my own repair needs, but they
    > seemed to go up and up and up..

    SCSI drives do seem to go up rather than down.....

  4. Re: 72g drives in Ultra 60

    > What about this:-
    >
    > http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(12406)...isk-drive.aspx
    >
    > would thi work? is Fujitsu a reasonable make....

    That looks fine. Fujitsu disks are fine in my experience.

    However, i have managed to get 147 GB disks on ebay with long warranties
    for a little less than that one.

+ Reply to Thread