Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library - SUN

This is a discussion on Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library - SUN ; Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet might know. I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T". ...

  1. Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    might know.

    I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    error:
    CHK 2635
    Library.c
    Line 4231
    Path 0000

    I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    "FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"

    and
    "The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"

    Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    costs too much to call.

    Any suggestions?
    -Patrick

  2. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    In article
    <74c360cc-e9be-4082-a1ba-8e26863fd3dc@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    Patrick wrote:

    > Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    > between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    > might know.
    >
    > I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    > Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    > error:
    > CHK 2635
    > Library.c
    > Line 4231
    > Path 0000
    >
    > I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    > located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    > this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    > "FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"
    >
    > and
    > "The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"
    >
    > Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    > costs too much to call.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > -Patrick

    Well, when you have a hardware problem with your car and can't afford to
    take it to a garage, what do you do? Take the bus, bike to work, walk
    or crack open the service manual for your car and open your toolbox.

    Looks like you're in the same boat here. Having a mechanically complex
    piece of hardware like a tape library or even a tape drive is reason
    enough to have a service contract in my view. Revisit this decision or
    find another backup strategy that involves hardware you can afford to
    fix when it breaks.

    Stupid is a stupid does.

  3. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    Patrick wrote:
    > Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    > between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    > might know.
    >
    > I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    > Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    > error:
    > CHK 2635
    > Library.c
    > Line 4231
    > Path 0000
    >
    > I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    > located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    > this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    > "FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"
    >
    > and
    > "The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"
    >
    > Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    > costs too much to call.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > -Patrick

    If support costs too much, you can always just spray a can of WD40 in
    there. Take off the tube and just spray the entire can all over the
    inside. That should reduce friction.

  4. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Patrick wrote:
    >
    >>Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    >>between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    >>might know.
    >>
    >>I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    >>Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    >>error:
    >> CHK 2635
    >> Library.c
    >> Line 4231
    >> Path 0000
    >>
    >>I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    >>located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    >>this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    >>"FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"
    >>
    >>and
    >>"The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"
    >>
    >>Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    >>costs too much to call.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>-Patrick

    > If support costs too much, you can always just spray a can of WD40 in
    > there. Take off the tube and just spray the entire can all over the
    > inside. That should reduce friction.

    Buying a new tape library would at least save the cost of a can of WD40!
    It might be a lot cheaper than cleaning up after the WD40 caper!!!!

    If tech support costs too much to all, just what are the costs of NOT
    calling tech support????????

    If googling for the text of the error message does not clear things up,
    you would seem to have little choice but to call tech support!!!!!!!!!

  5. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Patrick wrote:
    >>
    >>>Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    >>>between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    >>>might know.
    >>>
    >>>I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    >>>Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    >>>error:
    >>> CHK 2635
    >>> Library.c
    >>> Line 4231
    >>> Path 0000
    >>>
    >>>I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    >>>located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    >>>this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    >>>"FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"
    >>>
    >>>and
    >>>"The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"
    >>>
    >>>Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    >>>costs too much to call.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?
    >>>-Patrick

    >> If support costs too much, you can always just spray a can of WD40 in
    >> there. Take off the tube and just spray the entire can all over the
    >> inside. That should reduce friction.

    > Buying a new tape library would at least save the cost of a can of WD40!
    > It might be a lot cheaper than cleaning up after the WD40 caper!!!!
    >
    > If tech support costs too much to all, just what are the costs of NOT
    > calling tech support????????
    >
    > If googling for the text of the error message does not clear things up,
    > you would seem to have little choice but to call tech support!!!!!!!!!

    I guess the question is is this L100 a dumpster pull that's trying to be
    resurrected, or actually being used for a business. It's a pretty big tape
    library.

    If it's a dumper pull, tear it apart and see what's going on inside, worst
    case it stays broken.

  6. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    On Jan 18, 8:34 pm, Michael Vilain wrote:
    > In article
    > <74c360cc-e9be-4082-a1ba-8e26863fd...@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    >

    > Patrick wrote:
    > > Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    > > between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    > > might know.

    > > I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    > > Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    > > error:
    > > CHK 2635
    > > Library.c
    > > Line 4231
    > > Path 0000

    > > I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    > > located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    > > this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    > > "FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"

    > > and
    > > "The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"

    > > Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    > > costs too much to call.

    > > Any suggestions?
    > > -Patrick

    > Well, when you have a hardware problem with your car and can't afford to
    > take it to a garage, what do you do? Take the bus, bike to work, walk
    > or crack open the service manual for your car and open your toolbox.
    >
    > Looks like you're in the same boat here. Having a mechanically complex
    > piece of hardware like a tape library or even a tape drive is reason
    > enough to have a service contract in my view. Revisit this decision or
    > find another backup strategy that involves hardware you can afford to
    > fix when it breaks.
    >
    > Stupid is a stupid does.
    >
    > --
    > DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...

    Thanks for the encouraging piece of crap advice.

  7. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    On Jan 19, 12:46 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Patrick wrote:
    > > Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    > > between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    > > might know.

    > > I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    > > Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    > > error:
    > > CHK 2635
    > > Library.c
    > > Line 4231
    > > Path 0000

    > > I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    > > located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    > > this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    > > "FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"

    > > and
    > > "The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"

    > > Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    > > costs too much to call.

    > > Any suggestions?
    > > -Patrick

    > If support costs too much, you can always just spray a can of WD40 in
    > there. Take off the tube and just spray the entire can all over the
    > inside. That should reduce friction.

    Are you serious? Literally, I can't tell either way, please let me
    know.

  8. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    On Jan 19, 5:08 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > > Patrick wrote:

    > >>Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    > >>between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    > >>might know.

    > >>I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    > >>Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    > >>error:
    > >> CHK 2635
    > >> Library.c
    > >> Line 4231
    > >> Path 0000

    > >>I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    > >>located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    > >>this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    > >>"FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"

    > >>and
    > >>"The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"

    > >>Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    > >>costs too much to call.

    > >>Any suggestions?
    > >>-Patrick

    > > If support costs too much, you can always just spray a can of WD40 in
    > > there. Take off the tube and just spray the entire can all over the
    > > inside. That should reduce friction.

    > Buying a new tape library would at least save the cost of a can of WD40!
    > It might be a lot cheaper than cleaning up after the WD40 caper!!!!
    >
    > If tech support costs too much to all, just what are the costs of NOT
    > calling tech support????????
    >
    > If googling for the text of the error message does not clear things up,
    > you would seem to have little choice but to call tech support!!!!!!!!!

    Ah.. the perils of Usenet. Thought I was doing my manager a favor off
    the clock and all I get is BS. You know how managers are, always
    looking to save $$. We're not really tech support, but rather lab
    support, which are two different entities in our organization. We
    install them, configure them and run them - but if they don't work AND
    there doesn't exist adequate or abundant documentation, we can't fix
    them - especially in the less common machinery such as this. Albeit,
    at this moment the library is not mission critical, so once it
    escalates I imagine making the call will eventually happen.

    And no, this is definitely not a dumpster pull - smart comment, it's
    not exactly light.

  9. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    On 2008-01-20, Patrick wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 5:08 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:

    > Ah.. the perils of Usenet. Thought I was doing my manager a favor off
    > the clock and all I get is BS.

    Well, "Cydrome Leader" for one, is a moron and killfiled here.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  10. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2008-01-20, Patrick wrote:
    >> On Jan 19, 5:08 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >> wrote:

    >> Ah.. the perils of Usenet. Thought I was doing my manager a favor off
    >> the clock and all I get is BS.

    > Well, "Cydrome Leader" for one, is a moron and killfiled here.

    It seems like an idiot setup your killfile if you still notice that I'm
    here.

  11. Re: Troubleshooting an L100 Tape Library

    Patrick wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 12:46 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Patrick wrote:
    >> > Been all over the Web trying to find answers and they are few and far
    >> > between concerning this little monster. Hoping maybe someone in Usenet
    >> > might know.

    >> > I followed the user's guide for installing this new machine to a "T".
    >> > Every time the machine is turned on it initializes and freezes upon an
    >> > error:
    >> > CHK 2635
    >> > Library.c
    >> > Line 4231
    >> > Path 0000

    >> > I checked all the power cords and cables and re-sat the tape libraries
    >> > located in the back. The owners manual section on fault codes list
    >> > this as a Z-axis issue. Here's exactly what the FSC states:
    >> > "FSC_SERVO_Z_FRICTION_TOO_HIGH"

    >> > and
    >> > "The Z axis friction is too high for normal operation"

    >> > Problem is, I have no idea what that means.. and technical support
    >> > costs too much to call.

    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> > -Patrick

    >> If support costs too much, you can always just spray a can of WD40 in
    >> there. Take off the tube and just spray the entire can all over the
    >> inside. That should reduce friction.

    > Are you serious? Literally, I can't tell either way, please let me
    > know.

    I'm joking about the wd-40 part. Spraying crappy oil all over the inside
    of computer equipment is a bad idea.

+ Reply to Thread