A few, somewhat-quick questions.. - SUN

This is a discussion on A few, somewhat-quick questions.. - SUN ; Hello! I have recently received a Sun Ultra10 and an Ultra 1 Creator. Neither system boots reliably. I have downloaded the Solaris 9 bits for the Ultra 1 and the Solaris 10 bits for the Ultra 10. I can not ...

  1. A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    Hello!

    I have recently received a Sun Ultra10 and an Ultra 1 Creator. Neither
    system boots reliably. I have downloaded the Solaris 9 bits for the Ultra 1
    and the Solaris 10 bits for the Ultra 10. I can not reliably install either
    OS on either system.

    In concentrating on the U-10, I decided that I would try to install a larger
    HD (30GB Seagate) than the 9GB drive that was in the box when I received it;
    I also decided to try to install Ubuntu 7.10 Server on that system to
    validate the hardware changes.

    From all appearances and several kernel failure alerts from the Ubuntu
    install, it appears that the power supply (250W) is inadequate for the newer
    HD.

    So, the question is: Can I simply swap-out a standard PC power supply for
    this system that has more wattage? All of the cabling seems to match
    ATX-compliant power supplies and I do have some spares floating around here.
    Is it safe to assume that the power supply in this Sun Ultra 10 is indeed a
    match for a standard ATX power supply?

    Thanks!

    Scott Kindorf

  2. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    "Scott Kindorf (KCG)" wrote in message
    news:GdydnVa3Kt9oS8PanZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have recently received a Sun Ultra10 and an Ultra 1 Creator. Neither
    > system boots reliably. I have downloaded the Solaris 9 bits for the Ultra

    1
    > and the Solaris 10 bits for the Ultra 10. I can not reliably install

    either
    > OS on either system.
    >
    > In concentrating on the U-10, I decided that I would try to install a

    larger
    > HD (30GB Seagate) than the 9GB drive that was in the box when I received

    it;
    > I also decided to try to install Ubuntu 7.10 Server on that system to
    > validate the hardware changes.
    >
    > From all appearances and several kernel failure alerts from the Ubuntu
    > install, it appears that the power supply (250W) is inadequate for the

    newer
    > HD.
    >
    > So, the question is: Can I simply swap-out a standard PC power supply for
    > this system that has more wattage? All of the cabling seems to match
    > ATX-compliant power supplies and I do have some spares floating around

    here.
    > Is it safe to assume that the power supply in this Sun Ultra 10 is indeed

    > match for a standard ATX power supply?

    Unless the power supply is simply going up I've used 60 GB and 80 GB Hard
    Drives in Ultra 10s with no problems as long as Solaris 8 or higher was
    being used. Solaris 2.6 and earlier don't seem to see the full capacity of
    big drives.

    The fact that Solaris 9 and 10 are failing to load at all may point to other
    system problems.
    What do you mean when you say you can't "reliably" install the OS?

    If you can connect via serial port and run the Ultra 10 through extended
    diags maybe something will pop up.

    Trinean

  3. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:11:39 -0500
    "Trinean" wrote:

    > "Scott Kindorf (KCG)" wrote in message
    > news:GdydnVa3Kt9oS8PanZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > I have recently received a Sun Ultra10 and an Ultra 1 Creator.
    > > Neither system boots reliably. I have downloaded the Solaris 9 bits
    > > for the Ultra

    > 1
    > > and the Solaris 10 bits for the Ultra 10. I can not reliably install

    > either
    > > OS on either system.
    > >
    > > In concentrating on the U-10, I decided that I would try to install

    > larger
    > > HD (30GB Seagate) than the 9GB drive that was in the box when I
    > > received

    > it;
    > > I also decided to try to install Ubuntu 7.10 Server on that system
    > > to validate the hardware changes.
    > >
    > > From all appearances and several kernel failure alerts from the
    > > Ubuntu install, it appears that the power supply (250W) is
    > > inadequate for the

    > newer
    > > HD.
    > >
    > > So, the question is: Can I simply swap-out a standard PC power
    > > supply for this system that has more wattage? All of the cabling
    > > seems to match ATX-compliant power supplies and I do have some
    > > spares floating around

    > here.
    > > Is it safe to assume that the power supply in this Sun Ultra 10 is
    > > indeed

    > > match for a standard ATX power supply?

    > Unless the power supply is simply going up I've used 60 GB and 80 GB
    > Hard Drives in Ultra 10s with no problems as long as Solaris 8 or
    > higher was being used. Solaris 2.6 and earlier don't seem to see the
    > full capacity of big drives.
    >
    > The fact that Solaris 9 and 10 are failing to load at all may point
    > to other system problems.
    > What do you mean when you say you can't "reliably" install the OS?
    >
    > If you can connect via serial port and run the Ultra 10 through
    > extended diags maybe something will pop up.
    >
    > Trinean

    Hi
    I'm running an Ultra10 with ubuntu 7.04 with an 80GB, Quad Ethernet and
    a SCSI Card and DDS3 tape drive with no issues. I have also run it with
    2x80GBs and Solaris 10 fine.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp

  4. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    Excellent - it looks like I've come to the right NG, Malcom!

    Firstly, this is a 20GB Seagate that has been wiped by connecting it to a
    spare PC and booting from UBCD ("Ultimate Boot CD") and removing all
    partitions and writing 0's

    Second, here's the POST / IDPROM output, hand copied but verified:

    Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
    UltraSPARC=IIi 2-2 Module
    Probing Memory Bank #0 0 + 0 : 0 Megabytes
    Probing Memory Bank #2 128 + 128 : 256 Megabytes
    Probing UPA Slot at 13,0 Nothing There
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 1 pci108e, 1000 network
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 2 SUNW,m64b
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 3 ide disk cdrom
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 1 Nothing There
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 2 Nothing There
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 3 Nothing There
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 4 Nothing There

    Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 300MHz), Keyboard Present
    OpenBoot 3.11, 256MB memory installed, Serial #11514316
    Ethernet address 8:0:20:af:b1:cc, Host ID: 80afb1cc

    ok boot cdrom

    Linux loads up, sets-up an 8mb RAM disk, refreshes the kernel, and then I
    get this, with a *very* long pause (around 2 minutes):

    [ 4.404828] rtc_init: no PC rtc found
    [ 12.178414] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference
    [ 12,178699] tsk->{mm,active,mm}->context = 00000000000003bc
    [ 12.178935] tsk->{mm,active,mm}->pgd = fffff80010ee8000
    udevd-event[1771]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

    The Ubuntu install gets to the point where it's scanning for hardware -
    which is significantly slower with the larger HD installed than with the
    original HD that came with the box - and stops at the "loading module
    'ide-floppy' for 'LINUX IDE floppy'" point.

    With the original HD installed, none of this happens after booting the
    Ubuntu CDROM and following through with the install. The only other thing is
    that once Ubuntu is installed it won't boot after a reboot.

    Forget "Catch-22" - this is "Catch-44"

    --Scott

    "Malcolm" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:11:39 -0500
    > "Trinean" wrote:
    >
    >> "Scott Kindorf (KCG)" wrote in message
    >> news:GdydnVa3Kt9oS8PanZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> > Hello!
    >> >
    >> > I have recently received a Sun Ultra10 and an Ultra 1 Creator.
    >> > Neither system boots reliably. I have downloaded the Solaris 9 bits
    >> > for the Ultra

    >> 1
    >> > and the Solaris 10 bits for the Ultra 10. I can not reliably install

    >> either
    >> > OS on either system.
    >> >
    >> > In concentrating on the U-10, I decided that I would try to install

    >> larger
    >> > HD (30GB Seagate) than the 9GB drive that was in the box when I
    >> > received

    >> it;
    >> > I also decided to try to install Ubuntu 7.10 Server on that system
    >> > to validate the hardware changes.
    >> >
    >> > From all appearances and several kernel failure alerts from the
    >> > Ubuntu install, it appears that the power supply (250W) is
    >> > inadequate for the

    >> newer
    >> > HD.
    >> >
    >> > So, the question is: Can I simply swap-out a standard PC power
    >> > supply for this system that has more wattage? All of the cabling
    >> > seems to match ATX-compliant power supplies and I do have some
    >> > spares floating around

    >> here.
    >> > Is it safe to assume that the power supply in this Sun Ultra 10 is
    >> > indeed

    >> > match for a standard ATX power supply?

    >> Unless the power supply is simply going up I've used 60 GB and 80 GB
    >> Hard Drives in Ultra 10s with no problems as long as Solaris 8 or
    >> higher was being used. Solaris 2.6 and earlier don't seem to see the
    >> full capacity of big drives.
    >>
    >> The fact that Solaris 9 and 10 are failing to load at all may point
    >> to other system problems.
    >> What do you mean when you say you can't "reliably" install the OS?
    >>
    >> If you can connect via serial port and run the Ultra 10 through
    >> extended diags maybe something will pop up.
    >>
    >> Trinean
    >>

    > Hi
    > I'm running an Ultra10 with ubuntu 7.04 with an 80GB, Quad Ethernet and
    > a SCSI Card and DDS3 tape drive with no issues. I have also run it with
    > 2x80GBs and Solaris 10 fine.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    > SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp
    > up 5 days 19:30, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.13, 0.09

  5. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:18:00 -0800
    "Scott Kindorf \(KCG\)" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> larger
    > >> it;

    > >> newer

    > >> here.
    > >>
    > >> Unless the power supply is simply going up I've used 60 GB and 80
    > >> GB Hard Drives in Ultra 10s with no problems as long as Solaris 8
    > >> or higher was being used. Solaris 2.6 and earlier don't seem to
    > >> see the full capacity of big drives.
    > >>
    > >> The fact that Solaris 9 and 10 are failing to load at all may point
    > >> to other system problems.
    > >> What do you mean when you say you can't "reliably" install the OS?
    > >>
    > >> If you can connect via serial port and run the Ultra 10 through
    > >> extended diags maybe something will pop up.
    > >>
    > >> Trinean
    > >>

    > > Hi
    > > I'm running an Ultra10 with ubuntu 7.04 with an 80GB, Quad Ethernet
    > > and a SCSI Card and DDS3 tape drive with no issues. I have also run

    {mm,active,mm} is a memory issue, I would move the RAM to bank 0, the
    RTC thing is normal. I never used the video/keyboard for my install I
    used a console. I also setup my disks via usb/fdisk on a linux machine
    and ensure it's returned to msdos type (rather than SUN) and let the
    Ubuntu installer sort the drive out.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp
    up 6 days 20:58, 1 user, load average: 1.61, 0.44, 0.15

  6. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    "Malcolm" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:18:00 -0800
    > "Scott Kindorf \(KCG\)" wrote:
    >
    >> Excellent - it looks like I've come to the right NG, Malcom!
    >>
    >> Firstly, this is a 20GB Seagate that has been wiped by connecting it
    >> to a spare PC and booting from UBCD ("Ultimate Boot CD") and removing
    >> all partitions and writing 0's
    >>
    >> Second, here's the POST / IDPROM output, hand copied but verified:
    >>
    >> Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
    >> UltraSPARC=IIi 2-2 Module
    >> Probing Memory Bank #0 0 + 0 : 0 Megabytes
    >> Probing Memory Bank #2 128 + 128 : 256 Megabytes
    >> Probing UPA Slot at 13,0 Nothing There
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 1 pci108e, 1000 network
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 2 SUNW,m64b
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 3 ide disk cdrom
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 1 Nothing There
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 2 Nothing There
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 3 Nothing There
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 4 Nothing There
    >>
    >> Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 300MHz), Keyboard Present
    >> OpenBoot 3.11, 256MB memory installed, Serial #11514316
    >> Ethernet address 8:0:20:af:b1:cc, Host ID: 80afb1cc
    >>
    >> ok boot cdrom
    >>
    >> Linux loads up, sets-up an 8mb RAM disk, refreshes the kernel, and
    >> then I get this, with a *very* long pause (around 2 minutes):
    >>
    >> [ 4.404828] rtc_init: no PC rtc found
    >> [ 12.178414] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference
    >> [ 12,178699] tsk->{mm,active,mm}->context = 00000000000003bc
    >> [ 12.178935] tsk->{mm,active,mm}->pgd = fffff80010ee8000
    >> udevd-event[1771]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
    >>
    >> The Ubuntu install gets to the point where it's scanning for hardware
    >> - which is significantly slower with the larger HD installed than
    >> with the original HD that came with the box - and stops at the
    >>
    >> With the original HD installed, none of this happens after booting
    >> the Ubuntu CDROM and following through with the install. The only
    >> other thing is that once Ubuntu is installed it won't boot after a
    >> reboot.
    >>
    >> Forget "Catch-22" - this is "Catch-44"
    >>
    >> --Scott
    >>
    >> "Malcolm" wrote in message

    >> > Hi
    >> > I'm running an Ultra10 with ubuntu 7.04 with an 80GB, Quad Ethernet
    >> > and a SCSI Card and DDS3 tape drive with no issues. I have also run
    >> > it with 2x80GBs and Solaris 10 fine.
    >> >

    > Hi
    > {mm,active,mm} is a memory issue, I would move the RAM to bank 0, the
    > RTC thing is normal. I never used the video/keyboard for my install I
    > used a console. I also setup my disks via usb/fdisk on a linux machine
    > and ensure it's returned to msdos type (rather than SUN) and let the
    > Ubuntu installer sort the drive out.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    > SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp
    > up 6 days 20:58, 1 user, load average: 1.61, 0.44, 0.15

    Agreed- Let the machine format the drive. I have DAT's, SCSI, PCPCI and
    other stuff running on my 10. May just have a bum power supply. I don't
    know if wiggling the voltage setting on the back and reseating and cleaning
    all the connections while unplugged but grounded. If that does not help,
    new supply it may be. U5's &10's are plentiful cheap.

    Respects.

    Rob

  7. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:21:07 -0600
    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:18:00 -0800
    > "Scott Kindorf \(KCG\)" wrote:
    >
    > > Excellent - it looks like I've come to the right NG, Malcom!
    > >
    > > Firstly, this is a 20GB Seagate that has been wiped by connecting it
    > > to a spare PC and booting from UBCD ("Ultimate Boot CD") and
    > > removing all partitions and writing 0's
    > >
    > > Second, here's the POST / IDPROM output, hand copied but verified:
    > >
    > > Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
    > > UltraSPARC=IIi 2-2 Module
    > > Probing Memory Bank #0 0 + 0 : 0 Megabytes
    > > Probing Memory Bank #2 128 + 128 : 256 Megabytes
    > > Probing UPA Slot at 13,0 Nothing There
    > > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 1 pci108e, 1000 network
    > > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 2 SUNW,m64b
    > > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 3 ide disk cdrom
    > > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 1 Nothing There
    > > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 2 Nothing There
    > > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 3 Nothing There
    > > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 4 Nothing There
    > >
    > > Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 300MHz), Keyboard Present
    > > OpenBoot 3.11, 256MB memory installed, Serial #11514316
    > > Ethernet address 8:0:20:af:b1:cc, Host ID: 80afb1cc

    Hi
    You may want to also update the OBP to;
    'OBP 3.31.0 2001/07/25 20:36'

    Have a read here;

    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp
    up 7 days 1:55, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.22, 0.17

  8. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    On Dec 11, 6:29 pm, "Scott Kindorf \(KCG\)"
    wrote:

    > So, the question is: Can I simply swap-out a standard PC power supply for
    > this system that has more wattage? All of the cabling seems to match
    > ATX-compliant power supplies and I do have some spares floating around here.
    > Is it safe to assume that the power supply in this Sun Ultra 10 is indeed a
    > match for a standard ATX power supply?

    It's unlikely to be power. If you suspect a HW problem I'd run VTS on
    it and see if it finds anything.

  9. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    No clue - sorry to top post

    rob

    "Tim Bradshaw" wrote in message
    > On Dec 11, 6:29 pm, "Scott Kindorf \(KCG\)"
    > wrote:
    >

    >> So, the question is: Can I simply swap-out a standard PC power supply for
    >> this system that has more wattage? All of the cabling seems to match
    >> ATX-compliant power supplies and I do have some spares floating around
    >> here.
    >> Is it safe to assume that the power supply in this Sun Ultra 10 is indeed
    >> match for a standard ATX power supply?

    > It's unlikely to be power. If you suspect a HW problem I'd run VTS on
    > it and see if it finds anything.

  10. Re: A few, somewhat-quick questions..

    In article ,
    Scott Kindorf \(KCG\) wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >In concentrating on the U-10, I decided that I would try to install a larger
    >HD (30GB Seagate) than the 9GB drive that was in the box when I received it;
    >I also decided to try to install Ubuntu 7.10 Server on that system to
    >validate the hardware changes.
    >
    >From all appearances and several kernel failure alerts from the Ubuntu
    >install, it appears that the power supply (250W) is inadequate for the newer
    >HD.
    >
    >So, the question is: Can I simply swap-out a standard PC power supply for
    >this system that has more wattage? All of the cabling seems to match
    >ATX-compliant power supplies and I do have some spares floating around here.
    >Is it safe to assume that the power supply in this Sun Ultra 10 is indeed a
    >match for a standard ATX power supply?

    Scott, a standard Ultra 20 power supply has plenty of power to support
    two IDE hard disks, a CDROM-RW, a UPA card, and more. Actually, it
    will support a SCSI card and a couple of Ultra 160 LVD disks. The
    Ultra 5 200W supply supports all but the UPA, and a U20 supply can be
    used in a U5 case. Power supply voltages and pin locations are given
    in the Ultra 10 service manual, a PDF available on the Sun web site.

    What will give you "bad power supply" symptoms with a good supply is a
    stalled hard disk motor. I got a good supply from Serverworlds in
    Minnesota for a reasonable price---I wouldn't bother trying to adapt a
    Pee Cee supply when the correct supply is so readily available on the
    used market.

    I don't know anything about various Linux ports to Sparcs. But at
    least for checkout, I'd suggest downloading and burning at least the
    first two Solaris 10 disks to sort out whether you've got hardware or
    software problems.

    Hank

+ Reply to Thread