Strange PCI inventory from prtdiag -v on E2900 - SUN

This is a discussion on Strange PCI inventory from prtdiag -v on E2900 - SUN ; I am attempting to solve a performance issue on a E2900 server. Line traces of the Fibre Channel are pointing towards bus congestion inside the host. (Incoming frames are being processed slowly, and outgoing frames are dribbling out, one-by-one.) I ...

  1. Strange PCI inventory from prtdiag -v on E2900

    I am attempting to solve a performance issue on a E2900 server. Line
    traces of the Fibre Channel are pointing towards bus congestion inside
    the host. (Incoming frames are being processed slowly, and outgoing
    frames are dribbling out, one-by-one.)

    I had the sysadmin pull prtdiag, and it is telling me that there are
    Emulex 9002DC's (I don't know the official Sun name) in slots PCI3 and
    PCI4, running at 33MHz. The only other card listed in the system is a
    Quad GigE in PCI5, supposedly running at 66MHz.

    According to the reference docs, slots 4 and 5 are supposed to share
    the same bus, and therefore required to have the same bus speed. How
    then can PCI4 then be at 33MHz and PCI5 be at 66MHz? Did somebody at
    Sun not get the memo that the slots are numbered starting at zero?

    In any case, why would these adapters be running at 33MHz? They are
    capable of 66MHz operation, and I know of no way to jumper them
    otherwise. Are the onboard devices slowing down the PCI slots?

    And no, unfortunately, I have no access to the servers. I am in one
    city, the sysadmin is in another, and the server in a third.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    SirWired

  2. Re: Strange PCI inventory from prtdiag -v on E2900

    Well, I found the answer to my question, (thanks to the Sun Forums) in
    case this might be useful to anybody else:

    The long and the short of it is that the E2900 install guide is
    incorrect. For the correct slot->Bus mappings with the PCI I/O
    assembly, refer to the Midrange Entry-Level Administration Guide (also
    on sun.com)

    Slot 5 is the 66MHz slot, not slot 0 as the install guide says. And
    the slot groupings are 0/1, 2/3/4, and 5, not 0/1, 2/3, 4/5. There
    are only two buses, not three: All the 33MHz slots with the internal
    IDE, and the 66 MHz, which has all the other internal devices, in
    addition to the one 66MHz slot.

    SirWired

+ Reply to Thread