Sunfire V100 Server Power Cycle/Reboot Question - SUN

This is a discussion on Sunfire V100 Server Power Cycle/Reboot Question - SUN ; Hello, I've been around Sun servers enough to know nuances, but not enough to call myself an expert by any means. I have a three identical old Sunfire servers that have been serving me very well over the years. However, ...

  1. Sunfire V100 Server Power Cycle/Reboot Question

    Hello,

    I've been around Sun servers enough to know nuances, but not enough to
    call myself an expert by any means. I have a three identical old
    Sunfire servers that have been serving me very well over the years.
    However, I have a question I cannot seem to figure out...

    Whenever there is a power failure or power cycle, one of the servers
    boots up with no problems and is back and up. The other two, however,
    need me to go into the LOM and "fix" them before they get back up. I
    did not initially setup any of these servers, and I'm wondering why
    one is cooperating and the other two are not? Is this a setting I need
    to change on the other two servers?

    I never plan for a power failure, nor do I expect many (if any at
    all), but it'd be nice to know that I don't have to go through the
    hassle of bothering the people that host my servers to get me in the
    rack when I need to "fix" them to get them back up again.

    Thanks for any help in advance!
    Nino

  2. Re: Sunfire V100 Server Power Cycle/Reboot Question

    Nino wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been around Sun servers enough to know nuances, but not enough to
    > call myself an expert by any means. I have a three identical old
    > Sunfire servers that have been serving me very well over the years.
    > However, I have a question I cannot seem to figure out...
    >
    > Whenever there is a power failure or power cycle, one of the servers
    > boots up with no problems and is back and up. The other two, however,
    > need me to go into the LOM and "fix" them before they get back up. I
    > did not initially setup any of these servers, and I'm wondering why
    > one is cooperating and the other two are not? Is this a setting I need
    > to change on the other two servers?
    >
    > I never plan for a power failure, nor do I expect many (if any at
    > all), but it'd be nice to know that I don't have to go through the
    > hassle of bothering the people that host my servers to get me in the
    > rack when I need to "fix" them to get them back up again.
    >
    > Thanks for any help in advance!
    > Nino

    as root try setting auto boot to true.

    # eeprom auto-boot?=true

    This can also be set from OBP using setenv

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: Sunfire V100 Server Power Cycle/Reboot Question

    Nino;438672 Wrote:

    > The other two, however,need me to go into the LOM and "fix" them before
    > they get back up

    What is the fix you have to do to get those two servers up running
    again?

  4. Re: Sunfire V100 Server Power Cycle/Reboot Question

    On Dec 13, 3:24 pm, eleganger
    wrote:
    > Nino;438672 Wrote:

    > > The other two, however,need me to go into the LOM and "fix" them before
    > > they get back up

    > What is the fix you have to do to get those two servers up running
    > again?

    Well, usually the system won't come up until I run fsck on the disk...

    Nino

  5. Re: Sunfire V100 Server Power Cycle/Reboot Question

    In article
    ,
    Nino wrote:

    > On Dec 13, 3:24 pm, eleganger
    > wrote:
    > > Nino;438672 Wrote:

    > > > The other two, however,need me to go into the LOM and "fix" them before
    > > > they get back up

    > > What is the fix you have to do to get those two servers up running
    > > again?

    > Well, usually the system won't come up until I run fsck on the disk...

    Sounds like logging is not enabled on the two servers which require the
    manual fsck. You can verify this by typing "mount" and look to see if
    the "logging" option is displayed:

    user@ultra2$ mount
    / on /dev/md/dsk/d0
    read/write/setuid/devices/intr/largefiles/logging/xattr/onerror=panic/dev
    =1540000 on Tue Dec 18 03:42:06 2007

    You can enable it by adding the keyword "logging" to the mount options
    column in the "/etc/vfstab" for the various file systems it is
    applicable to.

    Josh

+ Reply to Thread