EFI, SMI - what are the abbreviations? - SUN

This is a discussion on EFI, SMI - what are the abbreviations? - SUN ; I came across a problem with reusing ZFS disks for UFS. I couldn't format the disk properly, but eventually came across this topic 'SunBlog: Changing a disk label (EFI / SMI)' ( http://sunblog.mbrannigan.com/2007/0...efi-label.html ) which explained the whole matter and ...

  1. EFI, SMI - what are the abbreviations?

    I came across a problem with reusing ZFS disks for UFS. I couldn't
    format the disk properly, but eventually came across this topic
    'SunBlog: Changing a disk label (EFI / SMI)'
    (http://sunblog.mbrannigan.com/2007/0...efi-label.html) which
    explained the whole matter and how to change back and forth between the
    two labels.

    However, I haven't found anywhere what the abbreviations EFI and SMI
    actually mean. What are these three letter acronyms?

  2. Re: EFI, SMI - what are the abbreviations?

    The abbreviation EFI is for Extensible Firmware Interface while I
    think SMI is from Sun Microsystem Inc.

    On Dec 10, 4:56 pm, eleganger
    wrote:
    > I came across a problem with reusing ZFS disks for UFS. I couldn't
    > format the disk properly, but eventually came across this topic
    > 'SunBlog: Changing a disk label (EFI / SMI)'
    > (http://sunblog.mbrannigan.com/2007/0...efi-label.html) which
    > explained the whole matter and how to change back and forth between the
    > two labels.
    >
    > However, I haven't found anywhere what the abbreviations EFI and SMI
    > actually mean. What are these three letter acronyms?

  3. Re: EFI, SMI - what are the abbreviations?

    On Dec 9, 9:56 pm, eleganger
    wrote:
    > I came across a problem with reusing ZFS disks for UFS. I couldn't
    > format the disk properly, but eventually came across this topic
    > 'SunBlog: Changing a disk label (EFI / SMI)'
    > (http://sunblog.mbrannigan.com/2007/0...efi-label.html) which
    > explained the whole matter and how to change back and forth between the
    > two labels.

    You mean like using format -e
    > However, I haven't found anywhere what the abbreviations EFI and SMI
    > actually mean. What are these three letter acronyms?

    You mean SMI acronym or EFI acronym on Google didnt work for you?
    Please!

  4. Re: EFI, SMI - what are the abbreviations?

    gerryt - yes, "acronym efi" and "acronym smi" on Google hadn't worked
    for my, because I hadn't tried it (I did try "define SMI" and "define
    EFI" which returned other results). Thanks for the tip, I will use it
    the next time I need an acronym expanded.

    So, SMI stands for *Sun Microsystems Inc*, while EFI stands for
    *Extensible Firmware Interface*. I did find the EFI article on Wikipedia
    before I posted here, but I wasn't convinced that a BIOS replacement
    originated by Intel was the same EFI as in *EFI disk label*.

+ Reply to Thread