Info about HDs (Sun Blade 2000) - SUN

This is a discussion on Info about HDs (Sun Blade 2000) - SUN ; Hi all. There is one thing that I can't understand: I have a Sun Blade 2000 workstation with two 73 GB HDs. I have succesfully configured Solaris 10 on them, they are mirrored and all goes fine. But I can't ...

  1. Info about HDs (Sun Blade 2000)

    Hi all.
    There is one thing that I can't understand: I have a Sun Blade 2000
    workstation with two 73 GB HDs.
    I have succesfully configured Solaris 10 on them, they are
    mirrored and all goes fine.
    But I can't figure out if, in case, I could replace them with two bigger
    discs.
    Since I come from the PC world, I imagine that the workstation could be
    able to use, say, a 146 GB HD,... can someone tell me if thi is true or
    not?
    Thanks and sorry for the language,... I'm not english.

    Kind regards!

  2. Re: Info about HDs (Sun Blade 2000)

    Patata Kid schrieb:
    > Hi all.
    > There is one thing that I can't understand: I have a Sun Blade 2000
    > workstation with two 73 GB HDs.
    > I have succesfully configured Solaris 10 on them, they are
    > mirrored and all goes fine.
    > But I can't figure out if, in case, I could replace them with two bigger
    > discs.
    > Since I come from the PC world, I imagine that the workstation could be
    > able to use, say, a 146 GB HD,... can someone tell me if thi is true or
    > not?
    > Thanks and sorry for the language,... I'm not english.
    >
    > Kind regards!

    Hi "Patata Kid",

    any FC disk will fit. Size(GB!) does not matter.

    Best Regards David

  3. Re: Info about HDs (Sun Blade 2000)

    On 2007-12-09, Patata Kid wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > There is one thing that I can't understand: I have a Sun Blade 2000
    > workstation with two 73 GB HDs.
    > I have succesfully configured Solaris 10 on them, they are
    > mirrored and all goes fine.

    Great!

    > But I can't figure out if, in case, I could replace them with two bigger
    > discs.
    > Since I come from the PC world, I imagine that the workstation could be
    > able to use, say, a 146 GB HD,... can someone tell me if thi is true or
    > not?

    It is certainly true. I have a pair of 147 GB Fibre Channel
    drives in my Sun Fire 280R, which uses the same CPUs and the same system
    board. And there are larger ones now -- up to 500 GB IIRC.

    One nuisance (unless you start a fresh install from the DVD-ROM)
    is that it will remember the unique WWN (World Wide Number) of the
    drives which *used* to be in those drive slots, and want to see them
    when it boots. There is a trick to clear that -- but I forget what it
    is at the moment, and it is quite late -- I'm about to go to bed.
    Perhaps someone else will tell you, or perhaps I can remember it if you
    ask again later. But if you do a full fresh install on the new drives,
    it won't be a problem.

    You can also connect up to fifteen wide SCSI drives (68-pin or
    80-pin) to the 68-pin connector on the back of the system box. To make
    it recognize them, simply type:

    devfsadm

    as root and it will make the necessary entries for the new drives --
    probably as /dev/dsk/c2t?d0s? The internal drives usually show up as
    /dev/dsk/c1t?d0s?.

    > Thanks and sorry for the language,... I'm not english.

    Your English is very good in that case. The only thing which
    reads a little strangely is where you say "if, in case", where I would
    have used "whether".

    And I would have said "if this is possible" instead of "if this
    is true or not". (This is not intended to make you feel bad about your
    language -- just to let you know the two minor points where it did not
    seem natural use of the language. I don't know what your language is,
    but even if it is one which I have studied, I could not do as well as
    you have done.

    Best of luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  4. Re: Info about HDs (Sun Blade 2000)

    On 2007-12-10, DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > On 2007-12-09, Patata Kid wrote:
    >> Hi all.
    >> There is one thing that I can't understand: I have a Sun Blade 2000
    >> workstation with two 73 GB HDs.
    >> I have succesfully configured Solaris 10 on them, they are
    >> mirrored and all goes fine.

    > Great!
    >
    >> But I can't figure out if, in case, I could replace them with two bigger
    >> discs.
    >> Since I come from the PC world, I imagine that the workstation could be
    >> able to use, say, a 146 GB HD,... can someone tell me if thi is true or
    >> not?

    > It is certainly true. I have a pair of 147 GB Fibre Channel
    > drives in my Sun Fire 280R, which uses the same CPUs and the same system
    > board. And there are larger ones now -- up to 500 GB IIRC.
    >
    > One nuisance (unless you start a fresh install from the DVD-ROM)
    > is that it will remember the unique WWN (World Wide Number) of the
    > drives which *used* to be in those drive slots, and want to see them
    > when it boots. There is a trick to clear that -- but I forget what it
    > is at the moment, and it is quite late -- I'm about to go to bed.
    > Perhaps someone else will tell you, or perhaps I can remember it if you
    > ask again later. But if you do a full fresh install on the new drives,
    > it won't be a problem.

    You can use luxadm to change the WWNs in the boot prom. You also need to change
    the entries in /etc/path_to_inst;

    "/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w2100002037d062e2,0" 1 "ssd"
    "/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w2100002037d06f3c,0" 0 "ssd"
    "/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w500000e0107f5d91,0" 2 "ssd"
    "/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w21000000871a2049,0" 3 "ssd"
    "/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w2100000c507aa7f2,0" 4 "ssd"

    luxadm will tell you the WWNs of the new disks...

    There may be an easier way, but this is how I did it.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  5. Re: Info about HDs (Sun Blade 2000)

    On Dec 9, 10:32 pm, Patata Kid wrote:
    > Since I come from the PC world, I imagine that the workstation could be
    > able to use, say, a 146 GB HD,... can someone tell me if thi is true or
    > not?

    I can confirm that also FATA (HP) drives are OK. I have tried a 400GB,
    but I do not see why there should be any capacity limit.

+ Reply to Thread