    Respects,

    Rob

  2. Re: Backup software

    On 2007-12-07, Rob Fraser wrote:
    > Guys,
    >
    > My M2 is apparently not supported in Solaris 9/10 which I am quite unsure
    > of. Any recommendations on a decent small environment backup software to
    > evaluate without all the presales BE.SO. I'm in a pinch and I know my gear
    > works in X86 I'm no expert in UNIX, rather a hack with more dumb than good.
    > Newbie with a few classes under my belt.

    You need to add a few lines to the file /kernel/drv/st.conf:

    tape-config-list=
    "EXABYTE Mammoth2", "Mammoth2 8mm Helical Scan", "M2";

    M2 = 1,0x35,0,0x19e39,1,0x28,0;

    name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;

    The last line quoted there is the first of the set already present and
    uncommented in the file.

    If you want to set the SCSI ID past SCSI-ID 7, you'll also need
    to uncomment some lines covering IDS 9-15 for wide drives (which these
    are).

    Then touch:

    /reconfigure

    and reboot the system. After that, the M2 drive should work. At least
    mine do under Solaris 10.

    Also -- the drives *require* LVD -- not SE SCSI to work
    properly. You can probably get status from the drive via mt(1), and
    maybe even read tapes recorded elsewhere, but it *will* fail when you
    try to write tapes with a SE interface connected to it -- or with SE
    drives sharing the bus with your card and your tape drive.

    I've mentioned most of this before, but I may have forgotten the
    touch /reconfigure and reboot to get the driver to recognize the new
    entries in st.conf.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564