Adding second proc. to Ultra 60 - SUN

This is a discussion on Adding second proc. to Ultra 60 - SUN ; This may be a dumb set of questions but I haven't found anything at docs.sun.com to answer them. I've purchased a matched pair of 450 processors for my Ultra 60 that is currently running a single one. When install the ...

  1. Adding second proc. to Ultra 60

    This may be a dumb set of questions but I haven't found anything at
    docs.sun.com to answer them.

    I've purchased a matched pair of 450 processors for my Ultra 60 that
    is currently running a single one. When install the pair do I
    a) need to do anything in OpenBoot to have the system see the second
    processor
    b) need to do anything to the OS (currently running Solaris 10) or
    will it need to be reinstalled?

    Thanks in advance

    -ShirKahn

  2. Re: Adding second proc. to Ultra 60

    ShirKahn wrote:
    > This may be a dumb set of questions but I haven't found anything at
    > docs.sun.com to answer them.
    >
    > I've purchased a matched pair of 450 processors for my Ultra 60 that
    > is currently running a single one. When install the pair do I
    > a) need to do anything in OpenBoot to have the system see the second
    > processor
    > b) need to do anything to the OS (currently running Solaris 10) or
    > will it need to be reinstalled?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > -ShirKahn

    Nothing at all. Just fit it. There are no jumpers, and nothing needs to
    be changed in the software setup.

  3. Re: Adding second proc. to Ultra 60

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:54:16 +0000, Dave wrote:

    >> I've purchased a matched pair of 450 processors for my Ultra 60 that is
    >> currently running a single one. When install the pair do I a) need to
    >> do anything in OpenBoot to have the system see the second processor
    >> b) need to do anything to the OS (currently running Solaris 10) or will
    >> it need to be reinstalled?

    > Nothing at all. Just fit it. There are no jumpers, and nothing needs to
    > be changed in the software setup.

    Errrm, there is an OBP v.3.17.0 or later requirement and jumper J3001
    must be moved if the original processor is 300 or 360 MHz. There also is
    a minimum version of Solaris requirement.

    Sun Document 806-1055-11.

  4. Re: Adding second proc. to Ultra 60

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:54:16 +0000, Dave wrote:
    >
    >>> I've purchased a matched pair of 450 processors for my Ultra 60 that is
    >>> currently running a single one. When install the pair do I a) need to
    >>> do anything in OpenBoot to have the system see the second processor
    >>> b) need to do anything to the OS (currently running Solaris 10) or will
    >>> it need to be reinstalled?

    >> Nothing at all. Just fit it. There are no jumpers, and nothing needs to
    >> be changed in the software setup.

    > Errrm, there is an OBP v.3.17.0 or later requirement

    Sorry, I was not aware of that.
    > and jumper J3001
    > must be moved if the original processor is 300 or 360 MHz.

    I took it that "currently running a single one" was a single 450, but I
    guess that was perhaps not too sensible.

    > There also is
    > a minimum version of Solaris requirement.
    >
    > Sun Document 806-1055-11.

    Seems there is more to it than I thought. I just fitted it in and it
    worked. Same in U80. Seems I was a bit lucky!

  5. Re: Adding second proc. to Ultra 60

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 16:07:20 +0000, Dave wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Sun Document 806-1055-11.

    > Seems there is more to it than I thought. I just fitted it in and it
    > worked. Same in U80. Seems I was a bit lucky!

    I discovered all that when I replaced a single 360 with dual 450s. The
    store where I bought the processors sent me the PDF when my upgrade
    failed.

  6. Re: Adding second proc. to Ultra 60

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 16:07:20 +0000, Dave and
    others wrote:

    >Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:54:16 +0000, Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>> Nothing at all. Just fit it. There are no jumpers, and nothing needs to
    >>> be changed in the software setup.

    >> Errrm, there is an OBP v.3.17.0 or later requirement

    Yeah- found that but thanks.

    >Sorry, I was not aware of that.
    >> and jumper J3001
    >> must be moved if the original processor is 300 or 360 MHz.

    >I took it that "currently running a single one" was a single 450, but I
    >guess that was perhaps not too sensible.

    No- you took it correctly. It is currently a single 450. My bad for
    not being more explicit.

    >> There also is
    >> a minimum version of Solaris requirement.
    >>
    >> Sun Document 806-1055-11.

    Found that one too- I'm running 10 so I should be in good shape.

    >Seems there is more to it than I thought. I just fitted it in and it
    >worked. Same in U80. Seems I was a bit lucky!

    Thanks for the replies gang. The processors just showed up today and
    if I can get the little one to take a nap tomorrow I should get them
    installed.

    -ShirKahn

  7. Re: Adding second proc. to Ultra 60

    On 2007-12-07, ShirKahn wrote:
    > This may be a dumb set of questions but I haven't found anything at
    > docs.sun.com to answer them.
    >
    > I've purchased a matched pair of 450 processors for my Ultra 60 that
    > is currently running a single one. When install the pair do I
    > a) need to do anything in OpenBoot to have the system see the second
    > processor

    Nope. Just pull the dummy CPU module out of the empty slot (it
    is for airflow balance) and replace it with the CPU.

    > b) need to do anything to the OS (currently running Solaris 10) or
    > will it need to be reinstalled?

    Nope -- it will recognize the second CPU at boot time and
    happily use it.

    I don't know whether there may be a problem with the OBP
    version, so it might be worthwhile updating it first if necessary. The
    latest version for that system as far as I know is what I have in my
    systems:

    OBP 3.31.0 2001/07/25 20:31 POST 2.0.3 2000/07/31 15:28

    And I've never had slower than 450 MHz in the systems, so I
    don't know whether the older OBP versions are sensitive to CPU speed.
    You should do the update *before* switching CPUs if you have to do the
    update.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564