Help required selecting classic SUN system to go with type 5keyboard/mouse - SUN

This is a discussion on Help required selecting classic SUN system to go with type 5keyboard/mouse - SUN ; Hi, First post to this group. I hope someone will indulge me with a response I have had a new Sun Type 5 Keyboard & Mouse gathering dust in the basement for 4 years, and have decided it's about time ...

  1. Help required selecting classic SUN system to go with type 5keyboard/mouse

    Hi,

    First post to this group. I hope someone will indulge me with a
    response

    I have had a new Sun Type 5 Keyboard & Mouse gathering dust in the
    basement for 4 years, and have decided it's about time I sorted out a
    system to go with it.

    I know this is a bit backward, but could anyone recommend a nice
    system that will accept a Type 5 (8 pin) keyboard and mouse? I require
    24 bit graphics upto 1280x1024 (as quick as possible) and preferably
    the option of gigabit ethernet further down the road. I'm currently
    looking at an Ultra 2. Is there anything more recent with a legacy
    keyboard connection? A smaller unit is better, and I would prefer a
    multiprocessor setup if possible.

    Thanks for the help,

    Mark.

  2. Re: Help required selecting classic SUN system to go with type 5keyboard/mouse

    urbancamo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > First post to this group. I hope someone will indulge me with a
    > response
    >
    > I have had a new Sun Type 5 Keyboard & Mouse gathering dust in the
    > basement for 4 years, and have decided it's about time I sorted out a
    > system to go with it.
    >
    > I know this is a bit backward, but could anyone recommend a nice
    > system that will accept a Type 5 (8 pin) keyboard and mouse? I require
    > 24 bit graphics upto 1280x1024 (as quick as possible) and preferably
    > the option of gigabit ethernet further down the road. I'm currently
    > looking at an Ultra 2. Is there anything more recent with a legacy
    > keyboard connection? A smaller unit is better, and I would prefer a
    > multiprocessor setup if possible.
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    >
    > Mark.

    Hi,
    welcome to comp.sys.sun.hardware - you will on the whole get good advice
    on here. Unlike myself, a lot of the people on here are professional
    system admin, and quite a few Sum employees hang out here too.
    comp.unix.solaris is probably the more active group of them all.

    It seems a bit odd to select a machine based on the keyboard you have. I
    can understand if you had a few high spec CPUs, or large disks, but a
    keyboard..

    I don't how big a U2 is. I know the U60 is takes that sort of keyboard
    and I think will be a bit newer than the U2. It is not a bad size -
    about that of a mid-sized tower PC. It is dual processor.

    An Ultra 80 takes the same keyboard and is quad processor. But a U 80
    can not be considered small. It is a very large tower case.

    Dave

  3. Re: Help required selecting classic SUN system to go with type 5 keyboard/mouse

    On 2007-12-06, urbancamo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > First post to this group. I hope someone will indulge me with a
    > response
    >
    > I have had a new Sun Type 5 Keyboard & Mouse gathering dust in the
    > basement for 4 years, and have decided it's about time I sorted out a
    > system to go with it.

    O.K.

    > I know this is a bit backward,

    Yes. :-)

    > but could anyone recommend a nice
    > system that will accept a Type 5 (8 pin) keyboard and mouse? I require
    > 24 bit graphics upto 1280x1024 (as quick as possible) and preferably
    > the option of gigabit ethernet further down the road. I'm currently
    > looking at an Ultra 2. Is there anything more recent with a legacy
    > keyboard connection? A smaller unit is better, and I would prefer a
    > multiprocessor setup if possible.

    Hmm ... I'm not sure that the 1000BaseT ethernet cards are
    available in the Sbus card format. Otherwise the Ultra-2 is a nice
    machine for one which will work with your existing keyboard.

    However -- you need a PCI bus system to be able to expand to
    1000BaseT. So I would suggest an Ultra-60 as a good choice. It also
    uses the DIN connector for your keyboard and mouse.

    The Creator-3D card will support 1280x1024 and 24 bit deep, and
    that is the default supplied with the Ultra-60. I used it with a LCD
    monitor a 1280x1024 at 24 bit depth.

    The fastest CPU for the Ultra-2 is 400 MHz, and for the Ultra-60
    is 450 MHz. The bus on the Ultra-2 is Sbus, while the bus on the
    Ultra-60 is PCI. I, not too long ago, moved from Ultra-2 to Ultra-60
    because I needed support for LVD SCSI, which was not available in Sbus
    format. (I've since moved to the Sun Blade 1000 -- but that uses USB
    keyboard and mouse connectors, so it would not work with your existing
    keyboard.)

    Both use two UCA disk drives internally -- but the Ultra-60 can
    accept 1.6" drives, while the Ultra-2 can only accept 1" drives.

    The Ultra-60 is in a tower style case, while the Ultra-2 is a
    horizontal format case.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564