Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash - SUN

This is a discussion on Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash - SUN ; Guys- Strange one here. Maybe not. Installed a Mammoth M2 tape pulled a Mammoth 8900 and did hardware reset. Core dump.. Nothing usable Reboot. up and running... No tape seen Any ideas? I think someone once mentioned the M2LVD did ...

  1. Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash

    Guys- Strange one here. Maybe not. Installed a Mammoth M2 tape pulled a
    Mammoth 8900 and did hardware reset.

    Core dump.. Nothing usable

    Reboot. up and running... No tape seen

    Any ideas? I think someone once mentioned the M2LVD did not like Sun
    gear? I stuffed it in a Winblow box and it ran fine.

    Scsi set to ID4 No conflicts, only device on the card.

    Help!

    Thanks,

    Rob

  2. Re: Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash

    Rob Fraser wrote:
    > Guys- Strange one here. Maybe not. Installed a Mammoth M2 tape pulled a
    > Mammoth 8900 and did hardware reset.
    >
    > Core dump.. Nothing usable
    >
    > Reboot. up and running... No tape seen
    >
    > Any ideas? I think someone once mentioned the M2LVD did not like Sun
    > gear? I stuffed it in a Winblow box and it ran fine.

    Someone told me that Mammoth 2 drives *need* LVD and dont't work too
    well with non LVD (i.e. single ended) controllers. The Sun LVD
    controllers on eBay cost more than the drives!

  3. Re: Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash

    On Dec 5, 7:16 am, Dave wrote:
    > Rob Fraser wrote:
    > > Guys- Strange one here. Maybe not. Installed a Mammoth M2 tape pulled a
    > > Mammoth 8900 and did hardware reset.

    > > Core dump.. Nothing usable

    > > Reboot. up and running... No tape seen

    > > Any ideas? I think someone once mentioned the M2LVD did not like Sun
    > > gear? I stuffed it in a Winblow box and it ran fine.

    > Someone told me that Mammoth 2 drives *need* LVD and dont't work too
    > well with non LVD (i.e. single ended) controllers. The Sun LVD
    > controllers on eBay cost more than the drives!

    If it is a Exabyte 8900 then it is only a Mammoth-1 drive not a M2
    drive

  4. Re: Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash

    wrote in message
    > On Dec 5, 7:16 am, Dave wrote:
    >> Rob Fraser wrote:
    >> > Guys- Strange one here. Maybe not. Installed a Mammoth M2 tape pulled
    >> > Mammoth 8900 and did hardware reset.

    >> > Core dump.. Nothing usable

    >> > Reboot. up and running... No tape seen

    >> > Any ideas? I think someone once mentioned the M2LVD did not like
    >> > Sun
    >> > gear? I stuffed it in a Winblow box and it ran fine.

    >> Someone told me that Mammoth 2 drives *need* LVD and dont't work too
    >> well with non LVD (i.e. single ended) controllers. The Sun LVD
    >> controllers on eBay cost more than the drives!

    > If it is a Exabyte 8900 then it is only a Mammoth-1 drive not a M2
    > drive

    I pulled an 8900 to update to the M2 and the card is a Sun LVD ( I have
    about six if anyone wants to buy one)

    Went through the magic touch, (Stop N) saw the driver pile load. then
    kaboom...

    I also have 5 8900 M1's for sale. Four white one IBM Black. Don't need em.
    As well as two DLT 35/70's in Flexpacks. (newer cases)
    I have flexpacks for the M1's but they are all pulled now to be in U10's

    Rob

  5. Re: Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash

    On 2007-12-05, Rob Fraser wrote:
    > Guys- Strange one here. Maybe not. Installed a Mammoth M2 tape pulled a
    > Mammoth 8900 and did hardware reset.
    >
    > Core dump.. Nothing usable
    >
    > Reboot. up and running... No tape seen

    Oops.

    > Any ideas? I think someone once mentioned the M2LVD did not like Sun
    > gear? I stuffed it in a Winblow box and it ran fine.

    First off -- do you have it hooked to a real LVD SCSI card?
    Unlike most other LVD devices, it does not work properly on a SE SCSI,
    and the Exabyte documentation PDFs document this. The same applies if
    you have a mix of LVD and SE devices on a LVD card -- because that will
    default to SE operation. I discovered all of this the hard way. :-) The
    library would happily talk to the computer via SE SCSI, but not the tape
    drives. They would work just enough to get status information from the
    tape drives, and (sometimes) to read an already written tape. But once
    I tried to write a tape -- error time. :-)

    Second -- you probably need to add some entries to
    /kernel/drv/st.conf

    In particular, you need these in there to properly use the M2
    drive:

    tape-config-list=
    "EXABYTE Mammoth2", "Mammoth2 8mm Helical Scan", "M2";

    M2 = 1,0x35,0,0x19e39,1,0x28,0;

    The above is from my Sun Fire 280R with an EXB-430 library with
    two M2 drives and (currently) ten slots -- until I find more magazines
    to fit the EXB-430 or EXB-215.

    Note also that if you put a standard Mammoth (e.g. 8900) tape
    into the drive, it *will* read it (but apparently not write it), and
    will then walk around shouting "unclean" until you feed it a cleaning
    tape. :-)

    > Scsi set to ID4 No conflicts, only device on the card.

    O.K. But is it a LVD card?

    Also -- are the proper drivers there for the card? Sun only
    seems to supply (according to my increasingly old FEH) SE and HVD PCI
    cards. All others are third-party cards, and my need a third-party
    driver installed.

    I did stuff a third-party LVD PCI card into an Ultra-10 and have
    no problems accessing the drive -- but the OS in that was OpenBSD, not
    Solaris 10 at the time.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  6. Re: Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash

    "DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
    > On 2007-12-05, Rob Fraser wrote:
    >> Guys- Strange one here. Maybe not. Installed a Mammoth M2 tape pulled a
    >> Mammoth 8900 and did hardware reset.
    >>
    >> Core dump.. Nothing usable
    >>
    >> Reboot. up and running... No tape seen

    > Oops.
    >
    >> Any ideas? I think someone once mentioned the M2LVD did not like Sun
    >> gear? I stuffed it in a Winblow box and it ran fine.

    > First off -- do you have it hooked to a real LVD SCSI card?
    > Unlike most other LVD devices, it does not work properly on a SE SCSI,
    > and the Exabyte documentation PDFs document this. The same applies if
    > you have a mix of LVD and SE devices on a LVD card -- because that will
    > default to SE operation. I discovered all of this the hard way. :-) The
    > library would happily talk to the computer via SE SCSI, but not the tape
    > drives. They would work just enough to get status information from the
    > tape drives, and (sometimes) to read an already written tape. But once
    > I tried to write a tape -- error time. :-)
    >
    > Second -- you probably need to add some entries to
    > /kernel/drv/st.conf
    >
    > In particular, you need these in there to properly use the M2
    > drive:
    >

    > ================================================== ====================
    > tape-config-list=
    > "EXABYTE Mammoth2", "Mammoth2 8mm Helical Scan", "M2";
    >
    > M2 = 1,0x35,0,0x19e39,1,0x28,0;
    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > The above is from my Sun Fire 280R with an EXB-430 library with
    > two M2 drives and (currently) ten slots -- until I find more magazines
    > to fit the EXB-430 or EXB-215.
    >
    > Note also that if you put a standard Mammoth (e.g. 8900) tape
    > into the drive, it *will* read it (but apparently not write it), and
    > will then walk around shouting "unclean" until you feed it a cleaning
    > tape. :-)
    >
    >> Scsi set to ID4 No conflicts, only device on the card.

    > O.K. But is it a LVD card?
    >
    > Also -- are the proper drivers there for the card? Sun only
    > seems to supply (according to my increasingly old FEH) SE and HVD PCI
    > cards. All others are third-party cards, and my need a third-party
    > driver installed.
    >
    > I did stuff a third-party LVD PCI card into an Ultra-10 and have
    > no problems accessing the drive -- but the OS in that was OpenBSD, not
    > Solaris 10 at the time.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > DoN.
    >
    > --
    > Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    > (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    > --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---\\

    I just got pissed off enough for now to open the chassis back up and mash
    the 8900 back into it. Shame to have a brand new M2 staring at me on my
    desk. Thanks for all the pointers Don. I did pull this from the pack to
    make it an internal drive. I have 3-4 cases to look at I usually pop out the
    SCSI id terminals and install them internally. If what I have is of good
    I'll mail them to you but send a photo set first to make sure they are what
    you can use. Again, my sincere thanks and let me know when you get the
    pictures. It should be Mon or sooner.

    Have a good weekend,

    Rob in Joliet.

  7. Re: Ultra 10- Mammoth M2 LVD crash

    On 2007-12-07, Rob Fraser wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > I just got pissed off enough for now to open the chassis back up and mash
    > the 8900 back into it. Shame to have a brand new M2 staring at me on my
    > desk. Thanks for all the pointers Don. I did pull this from the pack to
    > make it an internal drive. I have 3-4 cases to look at I usually pop out the
    > SCSI id terminals and install them internally. If what I have is of good
    > I'll mail them to you but send a photo set first to make sure they are what
    > you can use. Again, my sincere thanks and let me know when you get the
    > pictures. It should be Mon or sooner.

    The pictures will probably not make it to me. I've got the mail
    server configured to reject any e-mail over 30K in total size, to keep
    viruses out of a couple of small mailing lists that I run -- and
    originally to turn off a flood of something like 200+ copies of a
    particular virus a day when it first came out.

    Anyway --it is more effective at keeping viruses out of the
    mailing list than trying to keep fingerprint databases up to date enough
    to protect the mailing lists at the expense of lots of CPU cycles. :-)

    If you have a web server that you can hang the images on
    temporarily, I can get them that way. Otherwise, I guess that we can
    forget about it.

    Thanks,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564