Redirect Serial Console - SUN

This is a discussion on Redirect Serial Console - SUN ; How do i go about redirecting the serial console to be able to use either the VGA with USB or a 13W3 with 8din pin, what are the proper commands for this using Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 on sun ...

  1. Redirect Serial Console

    How do i go about redirecting the serial console to be able to use
    either the VGA with USB or a 13W3 with 8din pin, what are the proper
    commands for this using Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 on sun servers
    Sun Ultra 1
    Sun Ultra 4
    Sun Ultra 10
    Sun Blade 1000
    Sun Netra
    Sunfire V120
    Sunfire V240
    Sun E450
    Sun E480

    My understanding is that the command is a TTYA command but i do not
    know the correct command for it

    also is there a way where i can put in a command that will tell my
    system to use the port from where the signal is originating from. so
    if i wanted to use the VGA and USB ports it would recognize the
    commands are coming from there or if i wanted to use the Serial port
    for control the system would recognize the commands are coming from
    there

    Any information is greatly appreciate
    Thanks

  2. Re: Redirect Serial Console

    Jason wrote:
    > How do i go about redirecting the serial console to be able to use
    > either the VGA with USB or a 13W3 with 8din pin,

    Whoa, what?

    You can use the video port with or without the console being directed
    there. For most Sun SPARC equipment, just booting with a keyboard will
    cause the machine to use the video and keyboard for the system console.

    I can't tell from your question why you want to redirect the serial
    console or which direction.

    > what are the proper
    > commands for this using Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 on sun servers
    > Sun Ultra 1
    > Sun Ultra 4
    > Sun Ultra 10
    > Sun Blade 1000
    > Sun Netra
    > Sunfire V120
    > Sunfire V240
    > Sun E450
    > Sun E480

    "plug in a keyboard"

    > My understanding is that the command is a TTYA command but i do not
    > know the correct command for it

    There's no command like that. If you don't want to rely on the default
    behavior, you can modify the 'input-device' and 'output-device' settings
    in the OBP (either printenv/setenv at the ok prompt, or 'eeprom' from
    within Solaris). Setting them to a particular serial port (like ttya)
    will override the default and use the device even if a keyboard is
    attached.

    > also is there a way where i can put in a command that will tell my
    > system to use the port from where the signal is originating from. so
    > if i wanted to use the VGA and USB ports it would recognize the
    > commands are coming from there or if i wanted to use the Serial port
    > for control the system would recognize the commands are coming from
    > there

    The SPARC OBP only directs the console to one location at a time, and
    that decision is made when the OBP boots/resets.

    You could configure the system so that the monitor can be used without
    the console being present. But the OBP will only read from one device
    at a time.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Redirect Serial Console

    On Dec 4, 12:36 pm, ddun...@taos.com (Darren Dunham) wrote:
    > Jason wrote:
    > > How do i go about redirecting theserialconsoleto be able to use
    > > either the VGA with USB or a 13W3 with 8din pin,

    > Whoa, what?
    >
    > You can use the video port with or without theconsolebeing directed
    > there. For most Sun SPARC equipment, just booting with a keyboard will
    > cause the machine to use the video and keyboard for the systemconsole.
    >
    > I can't tell from your question why you want toredirecttheserialconsoleor which direction.
    >
    > > what are the proper
    > > commands for this using Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 on sun servers
    > > Sun Ultra 1
    > > Sun Ultra 4
    > > Sun Ultra 10
    > > Sun Blade 1000
    > > Sun Netra
    > > Sunfire V120
    > > Sunfire V240
    > > Sun E450
    > > Sun E480

    > "plug in a keyboard"
    >
    > > My understanding is that the command is a TTYA command but i do not
    > > know the correct command for it

    > There's no command like that. If you don't want to rely on the default
    > behavior, you can modify the 'input-device' and 'output-device' settings
    > in the OBP (either printenv/setenv at the ok prompt, or 'eeprom' from
    > within Solaris). Setting them to a particularserialport (like ttya)
    > will override the default and use the device even if a keyboard is
    > attached.
    >
    > > also is there a way where i can put in a command that will tell my
    > > system to use the port from where the signal is originating from. so
    > > if i wanted to use the VGA and USB ports it would recognize the
    > > commands are coming from there or if i wanted to use theSerialport
    > > for control the system would recognize the commands are coming from
    > > there

    > The SPARC OBP only directs theconsoleto one location at a time, and
    > that decision is made when the OBP boots/resets.
    >
    > You could configure the system so that the monitor can be used without
    > theconsolebeing present. But the OBP will only read from one device
    > at a time.
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddun...@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

    Thanks for the information regarding my questions.

    the reason i am asking this is so that i can utilize a LCD KVM that i
    have installed in my racks instead of unplugging the serial port and
    moving to another device than plugging in and starting up my
    hyperterminal and going through all those steps over and over
    everytime i need to access a different server while i am in the server
    room. Instead i want to stand in front of my KVM and switch to any
    port that has an attached server without having to fumble through
    wires and unplugging here and plugging in there than restarting
    another program just to access these devices when a single point of
    access is what i want to use

    Also, how would i go about modifying the behavior as you said of my
    input output devices? or configure my system so that the monitor can
    be used with the console being present?

    I will certainly use this information you have provided to use with my
    servers, thank you, i hope this will work for me when i try it, will
    let you know

  4. Re: Redirect Serial Console

    Jason wrote:
    > the reason i am asking this is so that i can utilize a LCD KVM that i
    > have installed in my racks instead of unplugging the serial port and
    > moving to another device than plugging in and starting up my
    > hyperterminal and going through all those steps over and over
    > everytime i need to access a different server while i am in the server
    > room. Instead i want to stand in front of my KVM and switch to any
    > port that has an attached server without having to fumble through
    > wires and unplugging here and plugging in there than restarting
    > another program just to access these devices when a single point of
    > access is what i want to use

    Does it work with SPARC machines? Many cheap KVMs cannot handle Sun
    keyboards. Some others will work only if the keyboard is active when
    the machine boots (rather than when the kvm has another console
    selected).

    > Also, how would i go about modifying the behavior as you said of my
    > input output devices?

    Just as I said previously. Use 'printenv' and 'setenv' at the ok prompt
    or 'eeprom' from a Solaris prompt.

    > or configure my system so that the monitor can
    > be used with the console being present?

    Set the input-device and output-device to be a serial port (usually
    ttya). Boot the machine. Normally that will cause dtlogin to run X on
    the monitor with a login screen during boot. The 'command line login'
    will not work (so often it's a good idea to deactivate that menu item by
    modifying /etc/dt/config/Xservers).

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  5. Re: Redirect Serial Console

    On Dec 4, 4:16 pm, ddun...@taos.com (Darren Dunham) wrote:
    > Jason wrote:
    > > the reason i am asking this is so that i can utilize a LCD KVM that i
    > > have installed in my racks instead of unplugging theserialport and
    > > moving to another device than plugging in and starting up my
    > > hyperterminal and going through all those steps over and over
    > > everytime i need to access a different server while i am in the server
    > > room. Instead i want to stand in front of my KVM and switch to any
    > > port that has an attached server without having to fumble through
    > > wires and unplugging here and plugging in there than restarting
    > > another program just to access these devices when a single point of
    > > access is what i want to use

    > Does it work with SPARC machines? Many cheap KVMs cannot handle Sun
    > keyboards. Some others will work only if the keyboard is active when
    > the machine boots (rather than when the kvm has anotherconsole
    > selected).
    >
    > > Also, how would i go about modifying the behavior as you said of my
    > > input output devices?

    > Just as I said previously. Use 'printenv' and 'setenv' at the ok prompt
    > or 'eeprom' from a Solaris prompt.
    >
    > > or configure my system so that the monitor can
    > > be used with theconsolebeing present?

    > Set the input-device and output-device to be aserialport (usually
    > ttya). Boot the machine. Normally that will cause dtlogin to run X on
    > the monitor with a login screen during boot. The 'command line login'
    > will not work (so often it's a good idea to deactivate that menu item by
    > modifying /etc/dt/config/Xservers).
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddun...@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread