Ultra 10 - no output to monitor - SUN

This is a discussion on Ultra 10 - no output to monitor - SUN ; I have the following system, which I purchased on eBay as parts and assembled: Sun Ultra 10 Elite 3D with 512MB SymBios 22801 SCSI card Seagate ST118273W 18.2GB 68-pin SCSI drive 68-pin ribbon cable Sun Type 5 keyboard and mouse ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

  1. Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    I have the following system, which I purchased on eBay as parts and
    assembled:
    Sun Ultra 10 Elite 3D with 512MB
    SymBios 22801 SCSI card
    Seagate ST118273W 18.2GB 68-pin SCSI drive
    68-pin ribbon cable
    Sun Type 5 keyboard and mouse
    Sun 17-inch CRT

    Well, actually, the last two items are from an old MicroSPARC system
    that I have. I think I assembled everything correctly... SCSI card in
    PCI slot, jumpers set, hard drive power and ribbon cable attached,
    keyboard and monitor connected. I have Solaris 8 that I want to
    install, if that will work on this configuration.

    When I turn the system on, it sounds normal, lights flash on the
    keyboard, but the monitor remains black. Stop-A does nothing. I even
    attached a PC monitor to the D-sub port, but no joy there either. It
    seemed like there was some signalling coming from the CPU to the PC
    monitor, but after a couple of flickers, it remained black. As I
    mentioned, I have a MicorSPARC that I did system maintenance on for a
    few years, so I'm pretty familiar with Sun/Solaris. I'm really
    stumped about this. Is the CPU I bought on eBay D.O.A.? Any help
    would be appreciated.

    Greg
    Seattle, WA

  2. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    > I have the following system, which I purchased on eBay as parts and
    > assembled:
    > Sun Ultra 10 Elite 3D with 512MB
    > SymBios 22801 SCSI card
    > Seagate ST118273W 18.2GB 68-pin SCSI drive
    > 68-pin ribbon cable
    > Sun Type 5 keyboard and mouse
    > Sun 17-inch CRT
    >
    > Well, actually, the last two items are from an old MicroSPARC system
    > that I have. I think I assembled everything correctly... SCSI card in
    > PCI slot, jumpers set, hard drive power and ribbon cable attached,
    > keyboard and monitor connected. I have Solaris 8 that I want to
    > install, if that will work on this configuration.
    >
    > When I turn the system on, it sounds normal, lights flash on the
    > keyboard, but the monitor remains black. Stop-A does nothing. I even
    > attached a PC monitor to the D-sub port, but no joy there either. It
    > seemed like there was some signalling coming from the CPU to the PC
    > monitor, but after a couple of flickers, it remained black. As I
    > mentioned, I have a MicorSPARC that I did system maintenance on for a
    > few years, so I'm pretty familiar with Sun/Solaris. I'm really
    > stumped about this. Is the CPU I bought on eBay D.O.A.? Any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Greg
    > Seattle, WA



    Did you try connecting a terminal to the console port (serial port
    A)? It could have all output forced to the serial console in OBP.
    Setting the OBP to defaults would fix that.


    -CN

  3. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 02:48:17 -0500, Christopher Noyes
    wrote:

    >Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    >> I have the following system, which I purchased on eBay as parts and
    >> assembled:
    >> Sun Ultra 10 Elite 3D with 512MB
    >> SymBios 22801 SCSI card
    >> Seagate ST118273W 18.2GB 68-pin SCSI drive
    >> 68-pin ribbon cable
    >> Sun Type 5 keyboard and mouse
    >> Sun 17-inch CRT
    >>
    >> Well, actually, the last two items are from an old MicroSPARC system
    >> that I have. I think I assembled everything correctly... SCSI card in
    >> PCI slot, jumpers set, hard drive power and ribbon cable attached,
    >> keyboard and monitor connected. I have Solaris 8 that I want to
    >> install, if that will work on this configuration.
    >>
    >> When I turn the system on, it sounds normal, lights flash on the
    >> keyboard, but the monitor remains black. Stop-A does nothing. I even
    >> attached a PC monitor to the D-sub port, but no joy there either. It
    >> seemed like there was some signalling coming from the CPU to the PC
    >> monitor, but after a couple of flickers, it remained black. As I
    >> mentioned, I have a MicorSPARC that I did system maintenance on for a
    >> few years, so I'm pretty familiar with Sun/Solaris. I'm really
    >> stumped about this. Is the CPU I bought on eBay D.O.A.? Any help
    >> would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Greg
    >> Seattle, WA

    >
    >
    > Did you try connecting a terminal to the console port (serial port
    >A)? It could have all output forced to the serial console in OBP.
    >Setting the OBP to defaults would fix that.
    >
    >
    >-CN


    Yes, I thought that's what it might be, having read some of the other
    threads. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

    Greg


  4. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:26:12 -0800, Flatulous Maximus wrote:

    > Okay, a little progress. I installed teraterm on my PC, connected a
    > null modem cable from the PC to ttya, and got an ok prompt after
    > starting the Sun. Specifically, I got this:
    >
    > Data Access Error
    > ok
    >
    > From the teraterm Control menu, I sent a break, Alt-B. I then hooked
    > the Sun back up to the monitor and keyboard, but still get nothing on
    > power up. Well, I get a single loud beep and the keyboard lights
    > flash on a couple of times, but nothing on either monitor. Any other
    > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


    Connect null modem cable (9600,n,8) to ttya on your U10, then turn it on
    with Stop-D pressed. U10 will go through Power-On Self Test sequence,
    dumping its results to ttya. Hopefully you'll see what's wrong.
    If you've got Type-5 or Type-6 Sun keyboard, its LEDs indicate certain
    types of errors.
    For more information, see Chapter 3 of Sun Ultra 10 Service Manual,
    available from: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-7764-12

    HTH

    --
    I do not approve anything that tampers with natural ignorance.
    Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom
    is gone.

  5. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    "Flatulous Maximus" wrote in message
    news:bpnbl3p9v13f8kohc29shqhao5ffa051vg@4ax.com...
    > Okay, a little progress. I installed teraterm on my PC, connected a
    > null modem cable from the PC to ttya, and got an ok prompt after
    > starting the Sun. Specifically, I got this:
    >
    > Data Access Error
    > ok
    >
    > From the teraterm Control menu, I sent a break, Alt-B. I then hooked
    > the Sun back up to the monitor and keyboard, but still get nothing on
    > power up. Well, I get a single loud beep and the keyboard lights
    > flash on a couple of times, but nothing on either monitor. Any other
    > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Greg


    What is input-device and output-device set to?

    At the ok> prompt you type printenv to find out what all the current
    settings are.
    The input-device should be set to 'keyboard' and the output-device should be
    whatever video connector you're using.
    Usually 'monitor' is the correct setting for most purposes.

    To run a full diagnostic at the ok> prompt do:

    ok> setenv auto-boot? false
    ok> setenv diag-level max
    ok> setenv diag-switch? true
    ok> power-off

    Then power the machine back on via the front power button.

    Be sure to put diag-switch? back to false when you're done to avoid a full
    diag every time you do a power cycle.

    Trinean



  6. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:12:03 +0000 (UTC), Jakub Jankowski
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:26:12 -0800, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, a little progress. I installed teraterm on my PC, connected a
    >> null modem cable from the PC to ttya, and got an ok prompt after
    >> starting the Sun. Specifically, I got this:
    >>
    >> Data Access Error
    >> ok
    >>
    >> From the teraterm Control menu, I sent a break, Alt-B. I then hooked
    >> the Sun back up to the monitor and keyboard, but still get nothing on
    >> power up. Well, I get a single loud beep and the keyboard lights
    >> flash on a couple of times, but nothing on either monitor. Any other
    >> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    >
    >Connect null modem cable (9600,n,8) to ttya on your U10, then turn it on
    >with Stop-D pressed. U10 will go through Power-On Self Test sequence,
    >dumping its results to ttya. Hopefully you'll see what's wrong.
    >If you've got Type-5 or Type-6 Sun keyboard, its LEDs indicate certain
    >types of errors.
    >For more information, see Chapter 3 of Sun Ultra 10 Service Manual,
    >available from: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-7764-12
    >
    >HTH


    Thanks. I'll try that. Latest attempt from ttya connection:

    ok boot cdrom (with Solaris 8 installation cd in)
    Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args:
    Memory Address not Aligned
    ok

  7. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:12:03 +0000 (UTC), Jakub Jankowski
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:26:12 -0800, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, a little progress. I installed teraterm on my PC, connected a
    >> null modem cable from the PC to ttya, and got an ok prompt after
    >> starting the Sun. Specifically, I got this:
    >>
    >> Data Access Error
    >> ok
    >>
    >> From the teraterm Control menu, I sent a break, Alt-B. I then hooked
    >> the Sun back up to the monitor and keyboard, but still get nothing on
    >> power up. Well, I get a single loud beep and the keyboard lights
    >> flash on a couple of times, but nothing on either monitor. Any other
    >> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    >
    >Connect null modem cable (9600,n,8) to ttya on your U10, then turn it on
    >with Stop-D pressed. U10 will go through Power-On Self Test sequence,
    >dumping its results to ttya. Hopefully you'll see what's wrong.
    >If you've got Type-5 or Type-6 Sun keyboard, its LEDs indicate certain
    >types of errors.
    >For more information, see Chapter 3 of Sun Ultra 10 Service Manual,
    >available from: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-7764-12
    >
    >HTH


    ok printenv

    output-device screen
    input-device keyboard

    only exception to defaults:
    local-mac-address? true

  8. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:43:34 -0500, "Trinean"
    wrote:

    >"Flatulous Maximus" wrote in message
    >news:bpnbl3p9v13f8kohc29shqhao5ffa051vg@4ax.com...
    >> Okay, a little progress. I installed teraterm on my PC, connected a
    >> null modem cable from the PC to ttya, and got an ok prompt after
    >> starting the Sun. Specifically, I got this:
    >>
    >> Data Access Error
    >> ok
    >>
    >> From the teraterm Control menu, I sent a break, Alt-B. I then hooked
    >> the Sun back up to the monitor and keyboard, but still get nothing on
    >> power up. Well, I get a single loud beep and the keyboard lights
    >> flash on a couple of times, but nothing on either monitor. Any other
    >> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Greg

    >
    >What is input-device and output-device set to?
    >
    >At the ok> prompt you type printenv to find out what all the current
    >settings are.
    >The input-device should be set to 'keyboard' and the output-device should be
    >whatever video connector you're using.
    >Usually 'monitor' is the correct setting for most purposes.
    >
    >To run a full diagnostic at the ok> prompt do:
    >
    >ok> setenv auto-boot? false
    >ok> setenv diag-level max
    >ok> setenv diag-switch? true
    >ok> power-off
    >
    >Then power the machine back on via the front power button.
    >
    >Be sure to put diag-switch? back to false when you're done to avoid a full
    >diag every time you do a power cycle.
    >
    >Trinean
    >


    Hmm, it certainly did. Near the end it said:
    Status of this POST run: PASS

    Unless I missed something, here's the only anomoly, which appeared
    right at the end before the ok prompt:
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 1 Data Access Error

    I think this is the same Data Access Error I'm getting at boot up
    without the diagnostics.

    The only other anomoly is that boot cdrom always terminates
    prematurely with: Memory Address not Aligned

    I now have a theory about what is going on, at least as far as the
    keyboard and monitor is concerned. The U10 service manual lists
    supported I/O devices, which includes 17-inch color monitor, but
    indicates 1280x1024 resolution. I believe the one I'm using,
    purchased in the mid 1990s, only goes up to 1152x900. It could be
    that the system is not recognizing this as a valid Sun monitor (for
    the U10) and is forcing a ttya connection, also disabling the keyboard
    in the process.

    I wonder what would happen if I removed the Elite 3D card and had just
    a PC monitor connected to the D-sub port. Would it default to the
    onboard VGA? I really don't need the Elite 3D for my application. I
    was hoping to use a PC monitor anyway.

    Thanks very much foir all the help I've gotten here. I'd be dead in
    the water without it.

    Greg

  9. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On 2007-12-05, Flatulous Maximus wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > ok test-all
    > Testing /SUNW,afb@1e,0
    > /
    > Testing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/SUNW,m64B@2
    >
    > Display not installed
    >
    > Test hardware registers - passed Ok
    > Test RamDAC - passed Ok
    > Test Frame buffer - passed Ok


    > Testing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/network@1,1
    > Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
    > Transceiver check -- failed
    > Selftest failed. Return code = -1


    You don't have it connected to a net hub I presume? It can be
    either 10BaseT or 100BaseT -- the system auto switches. But -- this
    failure should not prevent the rest of the boot sequence.

    > Testing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ebus@1/fdthree@14,3023f0
    > Testing floppy disk system. A formatted disk should be in the drive.
    > No diskette, or incorrect format.
    > Selftest failed. Return code = -1


    Reasonable for it to complain -- because you can't test its read
    or write capabilities without a floppy in the drive. But this should
    not stop things either.

    Now -- you should get your "data access error" when it tries to
    read the unformatted hard disk -- but it should go on past that, too,
    and eventually come back to the "ok" prompt.

    I did not notice it reaching the stage of testing the RAM.

    How much RAM do you have in it -- and where? The FEH, for the
    375-0066, 375-0079 and 375-0115 system boards states "The minimum memory
    requirement is two DIMMs in any bank. And the banks are two adjacent
    DIMM sockets -- bank 0 being the pair closest to the edge of the board,
    and bank 1 being the pair closest to the UPA slot (the slot for the
    Creator-3D framebuffer, which is *not* a PCI bus card.)

    Hmm ... also -- are there any PCI cards in the system? I would
    pull them, and the Creator-3D framebuffer, and perhaps half of the DIMMs
    if you have all four DIMMs. If it does not pass the RAM test then, try
    exchanging the two which you still have in with the two which you
    pulled. I have seen failed DIMMs, or failed cards lock up the bus on
    various systems.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.


    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

  10. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On 5 Dec 2007 04:06:31 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
    wrote:

    >On 2007-12-05, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    >> ok test-all
    >> Testing /SUNW,afb@1e,0
    >> /
    >> Testing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/SUNW,m64B@2
    >>
    >> Display not installed
    >>
    >> Test hardware registers - passed Ok
    >> Test RamDAC - passed Ok
    >> Test Frame buffer - passed Ok

    >
    >> Testing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/network@1,1
    >> Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
    >> Transceiver check -- failed
    >> Selftest failed. Return code = -1

    >
    > You don't have it connected to a net hub I presume? It can be
    >either 10BaseT or 100BaseT -- the system auto switches. But -- this
    >failure should not prevent the rest of the boot sequence.
    >
    >> Testing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ebus@1/fdthree@14,3023f0
    >> Testing floppy disk system. A formatted disk should be in the drive.
    >> No diskette, or incorrect format.
    >> Selftest failed. Return code = -1

    >
    > Reasonable for it to complain -- because you can't test its read
    >or write capabilities without a floppy in the drive. But this should
    >not stop things either.
    >
    > Now -- you should get your "data access error" when it tries to
    >read the unformatted hard disk -- but it should go on past that, too,
    >and eventually come back to the "ok" prompt.
    >
    > I did not notice it reaching the stage of testing the RAM.
    >
    > How much RAM do you have in it -- and where? The FEH, for the
    >375-0066, 375-0079 and 375-0115 system boards states "The minimum memory
    >requirement is two DIMMs in any bank. And the banks are two adjacent
    >DIMM sockets -- bank 0 being the pair closest to the edge of the board,
    >and bank 1 being the pair closest to the UPA slot (the slot for the
    >Creator-3D framebuffer, which is *not* a PCI bus card.)
    >
    > Hmm ... also -- are there any PCI cards in the system? I would
    >pull them, and the Creator-3D framebuffer, and perhaps half of the DIMMs
    >if you have all four DIMMs. If it does not pass the RAM test then, try
    >exchanging the two which you still have in with the two which you
    >pulled. I have seen failed DIMMs, or failed cards lock up the bus on
    >various systems.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > DoN.


    Okay DoN, your advice to pull any PCI cards did the trick. I pulled
    the SymBios 22801 SCSI card. Also, I set the screen resolution to
    1152x900x66 in the OBP. It starts up normally now with the Sun 17"
    monitor and keyboard attached. I booted the Solaris 8 CD and got all
    the way to the # prompt. The only thing it complained about was
    having no Ethernet connection and no hard drive. So, this CPU I
    bought on eBay appears to be perfectly fine. The SCSI card was
    apparently the source of the Data Access Error on start up.

    So, my next question is, how do I get the SCSI card to work in this
    Ultra 10 without conflict so I can make use of the Seagate 18.2 GB
    SCSI drive and install the OS? I would prefer to use the SCSI drive
    over an IDE drive and I have an external Sun SCSI tape drive I would
    like to use with it also. I will Google the SCSI issue, but any
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    Greg

  11. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On 2007-12-07, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    > On 5 Dec 2007 04:06:31 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2007-12-05, Flatulous Maximus wrote:


    [ ... ]

    >> Hmm ... also -- are there any PCI cards in the system? I would
    >>pull them, and the Creator-3D framebuffer, and perhaps half of the DIMMs
    >>if you have all four DIMMs. If it does not pass the RAM test then, try
    >>exchanging the two which you still have in with the two which you
    >>pulled. I have seen failed DIMMs, or failed cards lock up the bus on
    >>various systems.


    [ ... ]

    > Okay DoN, your advice to pull any PCI cards did the trick. I pulled
    > the SymBios 22801 SCSI card.


    Great! Always reduce the system to the minimum for diagnostics,
    and add one thing at a time to see what makes it stop working.

    > Also, I set the screen resolution to
    > 1152x900x66 in the OBP. It starts up normally now with the Sun 17"
    > monitor and keyboard attached. I booted the Solaris 8 CD and got all
    > the way to the # prompt. The only thing it complained about was
    > having no Ethernet connection and no hard drive. So, this CPU I
    > bought on eBay appears to be perfectly fine. The SCSI card was
    > apparently the source of the Data Access Error on start up.


    Or -- perhaps the seating of the card was not quite right. You
    might try re-installing it just to be sure.

    > So, my next question is, how do I get the SCSI card to work in this
    > Ultra 10 without conflict so I can make use of the Seagate 18.2 GB
    > SCSI drive and install the OS?


    Well ... that *is* one of the cards supplied by Sun. They call
    it either the 375-0005 (without F-code) or 375-0013 (with F-code). Look
    for the sun barcode label on it to see which you have. In any case, it
    should work and not halt the system if it is properly seated. Of
    course, a bad card could halt the system even with it properly seated.

    Note that you also want to check that the riser card which
    provides the PCI slots is properly seated in the system board.

    > I would prefer to use the SCSI drive
    > over an IDE drive and I have an external Sun SCSI tape drive I would
    > like to use with it also. I will Google the SCSI issue, but any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.


    I *think* that the Ultra-5/10 won't boot from that card in an
    unless you have the F-code version of the card. But I'm not sure. I've
    never tried to boot an Ultra-10 or and Ultra 5 from a SCSI card. When
    I'm using one of those, I'm after the inexpensive disk drives. You'll
    probably have to boot from an internal IDE drive, and then access the
    SCSI drive once the system is booted.

    Later systems, such as the Ultra-60 have the drivers in the OBP,
    but not the Ultra-5/10.

    Note that the FEH shows all four positions in both DIP switches
    set to off. The sections control termination on the following:

    1) Internal 50-pin connector.

    2) Internal 68-pin connector.

    3) Enable upper address bits on 68-pin SCSI bus

    4) External 68-pin connector.

    Also -- the jumper block is not present on the INTA/INTB jumper
    near the PCI bus connector.

    There are also two fuses on the card -- little rectangular
    objects labeled "F1" and "F2" -- which protect the SCSI termination
    power feeds.

    The four-pin connectors near the switch blocks are for remote
    activity LEDs.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

  12. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On 7 Dec 2007 04:01:48 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
    wrote:



    Thanks DoN. Excellent help. Yes, I'm already pretty familiar with
    the jumpers on the SCSI card and I think I had them set properly. My
    own research has led me to the conclusion that I also need to upgrade
    the OBP from 3.19 to 3.31. I got the file
    flash-update-Ultra510-latest from SunSolve, but I'm in kind of a catch
    22 in that it appears you need to install it from hard disk:

    ok boot disk /flash-update-Ultra510-latest

    having previously put the file at the root with chmod 755. I tried
    burning a CD on my PC with only the flash file on it and booting from
    that:

    ok boot cdrom /flash-update-Ultra510-latest

    but it choked because no proper file system on the CD. Is there any
    way to upgrade the OBP from cdrom?

    Thanks,
    Greg

  13. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On 2007-12-07, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    > On 7 Dec 2007 04:01:48 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks DoN. Excellent help. Yes, I'm already pretty familiar with
    > the jumpers on the SCSI card and I think I had them set properly.


    I think that for most situations in Suns, off for all switches
    works well.

    > My
    > own research has led me to the conclusion that I also need to upgrade
    > the OBP from 3.19 to 3.31. I got the file
    > flash-update-Ultra510-latest from SunSolve, but I'm in kind of a catch
    > 22 in that it appears you need to install it from hard disk:
    >
    > ok boot disk /flash-update-Ultra510-latest
    >
    > having previously put the file at the root with chmod 755. I tried
    > burning a CD on my PC with only the flash file on it and booting from
    > that:
    >
    > ok boot cdrom /flash-update-Ultra510-latest
    >
    > but it choked because no proper file system on the CD. Is there any
    > way to upgrade the OBP from cdrom?


    Sure -- if you can burn a Unix file system on the CD -- which
    again requires your running system.

    Get a cheap, minimal size IDE drive (didn't one come with the
    system) and install the OS stripped bare on it, then do the flash
    upgrade. A 20 GB IDE drive should be more than enough, and those are
    being thrown away by PC users these days. (BTW -- your maximum IDE
    drive in that system is just a little over 120 GB.) You can put in a
    larger one, but you can't use it all -- just the first 127 GB or
    something like that.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

  14. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    In article ,
    DoN. Nichols wrote:
    >On 2007-12-07, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    >
    >> Okay DoN, your advice to pull any PCI cards did the trick. I pulled
    >> the SymBios 22801 SCSI card.

    >
    > Great! Always reduce the system to the minimum for diagnostics,
    >and add one thing at a time to see what makes it stop working.
    >
    >> Also, I set the screen resolution to
    >> 1152x900x66 in the OBP. It starts up normally now with the Sun 17"
    >> monitor and keyboard attached. I booted the Solaris 8 CD and got all
    >> the way to the # prompt. The only thing it complained about was
    >> having no Ethernet connection and no hard drive. So, this CPU I
    >> bought on eBay appears to be perfectly fine. The SCSI card was
    >> apparently the source of the Data Access Error on start up.

    >
    > Or -- perhaps the seating of the card was not quite right. You
    >might try re-installing it just to be sure.
    >
    >> So, my next question is, how do I get the SCSI card to work in this
    >> Ultra 10 without conflict so I can make use of the Seagate 18.2 GB
    >> SCSI drive and install the OS?

    >
    > Well ... that *is* one of the cards supplied by Sun. They call
    >it either the 375-0005 (without F-code) or 375-0013 (with F-code). Look
    >for the sun barcode label on it to see which you have. In any case, it
    >should work and not halt the system if it is properly seated. Of
    >course, a bad card could halt the system even with it properly seated.
    >


    Don, I'm about to SCSI-fy an Ultra 5 so have been checking what's what
    in the FEH. The options lists for the U5_10 lists the 375-0005 card,
    and the sheet for that card lists 375-0005 as "without F-code." and
    gives the Symbios (now LSI) 22801 reference. The listing for the
    375-0013 with F-code notes "not released."

    No indication whether the Sun-barcoded LSI22801 differs from the
    generic Pee Cee version. The LSIlogic data page lists the card as
    "for Intel systems" and doesn't mention Sparcs. I do have a 375-0006
    dual differential card, and it's clearly marked Symbios and 22802.

    On U5_10, flashing the eeprom up to 3.31 if it's lower than that fixes
    an awful lot of stuff. Probably worth doing on all machines. I just
    flashed a 375-0066 board from 3.15 to 3.31 using a 333 CPU so that I
    could get a 440 CPU to work.

    > Note that you also want to check that the riser card which
    >provides the PCI slots is properly seated in the system board.
    >

    Yes, this is critical. To the OP, I'd suggest you plug the SCSI HBA
    back in, making sure the connector seats completely. You may have to
    take the riser board mounting screws out and/or bend sheet metal to
    get full seating.

    Do a probe-scsi-all with the board-only installed (no disk). You
    should get a report. If that works OK, plug in the disk and disk
    power, and repeat the probe-scsi-all. If you get the ident string
    from the disk displayed, then you can try an install. Do a
    boot cdrom -s and when you get a console prompt, run format. If you
    get a lot of messages about the disk not being properly labelled, use
    the format label command to label it. Once you finish assuring the
    disk is labelled, you can control-D from the command prompt to get the
    install to continue.

    >> I would prefer to use the SCSI drive
    >> over an IDE drive and I have an external Sun SCSI tape drive I would
    >> like to use with it also. I will Google the SCSI issue, but any
    >> suggestions would be appreciated.

    >
    > I *think* that the Ultra-5/10 won't boot from that card in an
    >unless you have the F-code version of the card. But I'm not sure. I've
    >nknever tried to boot an Ultra-10 or and Ultra 5 from a SCSI card. When
    >I'm using one of those, I'm after the inexpensive disk drives. You'll
    >probably have to boot from an internal IDE drive, and then access the
    >SCSI drive once the system is booted.
    >

    As I said, the FEH gives the 375-0005 non F-code version as an option
    for U5_10 and notes the 375-0013 number as not released.

    > Later systems, such as the Ultra-60 have the drivers in the OBP,
    >but not the Ultra-5/10.


    It's been years since I put a SCSI boot disk in a U10, but there were
    several aftermarket (not Sun) boards that would work with the OBP.
    Once again, I'll suggest getting it flashed up to 3.31.
    >


    Hank

  15. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    In article hankvc@julie.lostwells.net (HankVC) writes:
    >In article ,
    >DoN. Nichols wrote:
    >>On 2007-12-07, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    >>
    >>> So, my next question is, how do I get the SCSI card to work in this
    >>> Ultra 10 without conflict so I can make use of the Seagate 18.2 GB
    >>> SCSI drive and install the OS?

    >>
    >> Well ... that *is* one of the cards supplied by Sun. They call
    >>it either the 375-0005 (without F-code) or 375-0013 (with F-code). Look
    >>for the sun barcode label on it to see which you have. In any case, it
    >>should work and not halt the system if it is properly seated. Of
    >>course, a bad card could halt the system even with it properly seated.
    >>

    >
    >Don, I'm about to SCSI-fy an Ultra 5 so have been checking what's what
    >in the FEH. The options lists for the U5_10 lists the 375-0005 card,
    >and the sheet for that card lists 375-0005 as "without F-code." and
    >gives the Symbios (now LSI) 22801 reference. The listing for the
    >375-0013 with F-code notes "not released."


    The 375-0005 works fine for booting the Ultra 5/10 -- I've got a pair
    of Ultra 10's here that boot from SCSI disks with these cards.

    >No indication whether the Sun-barcoded LSI22801 differs from the
    >generic Pee Cee version. The LSIlogic data page lists the card as
    >"for Intel systems" and doesn't mention Sparcs. I do have a 375-0006
    >dual differential card, and it's clearly marked Symbios and 22802.


    There are versions of the generic PC version that won't with with a
    Sun. I had one that I gave away to a PC user.

    >On U5_10, flashing the eeprom up to 3.31 if it's lower than that fixes
    >an awful lot of stuff. Probably worth doing on all machines. I just
    >flashed a 375-0066 board from 3.15 to 3.31 using a 333 CPU so that I
    >could get a 440 CPU to work.


    I keep a 333 MHz CPU around just for that reason. But the 375-0005
    should work OK with the older OBP version, and you should be able
    to get the O/S loaded and then do the OBP upgrade.
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  16. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On 7 Dec 2007 07:05:27 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
    wrote:


    > Get a cheap, minimal size IDE drive (didn't one come with the
    >system) and install the OS stripped bare on it, then do the flash
    >upgrade. A 20 GB IDE drive should be more than enough, and those are
    >being thrown away by PC users these days. (BTW -- your maximum IDE
    >drive in that system is just a little over 120 GB.) You can put in a
    >larger one, but you can't use it all -- just the first 127 GB or
    >something like that.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > DoN.


    Thanks Don, Jeff and others who gave me great advice. Here's the
    status:

    1. Installed 80GB Seagate IDE drive
    2. Installed Solaris 8
    3. Flashed the OBP to version 3.31

    Everything working fine at this point... CPU, cdrom, floppy, monitor,
    and keyboard.

    4. Set the DIP switches to all off for Channels A and B on the
    375-0005 SCSI card and inserted it in a PCI slot.

    On boot up, the system freaks out again, same as before... disables
    the monitor and keyboard and can only be controlled through the ttya
    port. Boot up shows the same message as before:

    Data Access Error
    ok

    I tried it in two different PCI slots. I did not re-seat the PCI
    riser board, but it appears to be well-seated and bolted in place.

    Jeff said he's been using this SCSI card in Ultra 10s with no problem,
    so I'm really puzzled why I'm having so much trouble. I'm starting to
    think I have a bad PCI riser card, or a bad SCSI card. There's a bank
    of four jumpers on the riser card that are all set to 1-2. I assume
    that's correct. I can't find anything on the Internet about those
    jumpers.

    Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Greg

  17. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:07:40 -0800
    Flatulous Maximus wrote:

    > On 7 Dec 2007 07:05:27 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    > > Get a cheap, minimal size IDE drive (didn't one come with the
    > >system) and install the OS stripped bare on it, then do the flash
    > >upgrade. A 20 GB IDE drive should be more than enough, and those are
    > >being thrown away by PC users these days. (BTW -- your maximum IDE
    > >drive in that system is just a little over 120 GB.) You can put in a
    > >larger one, but you can't use it all -- just the first 127 GB or
    > >something like that.
    > >
    > > Good Luck,
    > > DoN.

    >
    > Thanks Don, Jeff and others who gave me great advice. Here's the
    > status:
    >
    > 1. Installed 80GB Seagate IDE drive
    > 2. Installed Solaris 8
    > 3. Flashed the OBP to version 3.31
    >
    > Everything working fine at this point... CPU, cdrom, floppy, monitor,
    > and keyboard.
    >
    > 4. Set the DIP switches to all off for Channels A and B on the
    > 375-0005 SCSI card and inserted it in a PCI slot.
    >
    > On boot up, the system freaks out again, same as before... disables
    > the monitor and keyboard and can only be controlled through the ttya
    > port. Boot up shows the same message as before:
    >
    > Data Access Error
    > ok
    >
    > I tried it in two different PCI slots. I did not re-seat the PCI
    > riser board, but it appears to be well-seated and bolted in place.
    >
    > Jeff said he's been using this SCSI card in Ultra 10s with no problem,
    > so I'm really puzzled why I'm having so much trouble. I'm starting to
    > think I have a bad PCI riser card, or a bad SCSI card. There's a bank
    > of four jumpers on the riser card that are all set to 1-2. I assume
    > that's correct. I can't find anything on the Internet about those
    > jumpers.
    >
    > Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Greg

    Hi
    Do you have a PC to plug it into and check the symbios? Maybe someone
    has reconfigured it....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp
    up 8 days 10:45, 1 user, load average: 0.21, 0.20, 0.12


  18. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:05:51 -0600, Malcolm
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >Do you have a PC to plug it into and check the symbios? Maybe someone
    >has reconfigured it....


    Yes, that's a good idea. I will try that next. Thanks.
    Greg


  19. Re: Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    On 2007-12-14, Flatulous Maximus wrote:
    > On 7 Dec 2007 07:05:27 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Get a cheap, minimal size IDE drive (didn't one come with the
    >>system) and install the OS stripped bare on it, then do the flash
    >>upgrade. A 20 GB IDE drive should be more than enough, and those are


    [ ... ]

    > Thanks Don, Jeff and others who gave me great advice. Here's the
    > status:
    >
    > 1. Installed 80GB Seagate IDE drive
    > 2. Installed Solaris 8
    > 3. Flashed the OBP to version 3.31
    >
    > Everything working fine at this point... CPU, cdrom, floppy, monitor,
    > and keyboard.


    O.K.

    > 4. Set the DIP switches to all off for Channels A and B on the
    > 375-0005 SCSI card and inserted it in a PCI slot.


    Reasonable.

    > On boot up, the system freaks out again, same as before... disables
    > the monitor and keyboard and can only be controlled through the ttya
    > port. Boot up shows the same message as before:
    >
    > Data Access Error
    > ok
    >
    > I tried it in two different PCI slots. I did not re-seat the PCI
    > riser board, but it appears to be well-seated and bolted in place.


    Hmm ... the FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook) says (among other
    things):

    6. Do not install spacers under PCI riser boards installed in systems
    built after June 2000 with EZ label Service Code C Series 3.

    (whatever that means.)

    > Jeff said he's been using this SCSI card in Ultra 10s with no problem,
    > so I'm really puzzled why I'm having so much trouble. I'm starting to
    > think I have a bad PCI riser card, or a bad SCSI card. There's a bank
    > of four jumpers on the riser card that are all set to 1-2. I assume
    > that's correct. I can't find anything on the Internet about those
    > jumpers.


    The same FEH page says the following:

    JP1 PCI1 JSCAN Ring End Point - 1-2 = Pass, 2-3 = end
    JP2 PCI2 JSCAN Ring End Point - 1-2 = Pass, 2-3 = end
    JP3 PCI3 JSCAN Ring End Point - 1-2 = Pass, 2-3 = end
    JP4 PCI4 JSCAN Ring End Point - 1-2 = Pass, 2-3 = end

    with JP1 being the top row of pins, and pin 1 being the right-most. So,
    all are set to be the Ring End Point

    > Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


    Do you have *any* generic PCI cards which you can try in the
    riser? I've found a quad USB 2.0 card to work in the Ultra-60 -- but to
    cause reboots with a Sun Blade 1000. You might try any PCI card in the
    Ultra-10 -- better if you know that it is a Sun Blessed card, but even
    if not, you can at least see whether it also gives the same problems.

    Looking at the FEH drawing of the PCI riser card, I don't see,
    any chips, so I think that it is more likely that something about the
    SCSI card is bad. I've had a quad fast ethernet Sbus card perform
    similar system lockups, so a bad card *can* do it.

    The same page also references the following documents:

    Sun Ultra 5/10 Service Manual, 805-0423, 805-7763, and 805-7764
    Sun Ultra 5/10 Product note, 805-3647-10
    Sun Ultra 10 ShowMe How Multimedia Documentation, 704-5983.

    You can probably download at least the first two from Sun's web
    site, though I have no idea about the third item.

    Note that the 375-0005 card is without FCode -- and I'm using
    such cards without FCode, so that should not be the problem. Without
    FCode may also mean without a chip to store the FCode in. And, the FEH
    page for the 375-0002 includes the A22 (Ultra-10) in the list of
    machines for which it is suitable.

    But -- a *bad* copy of the card could still cause problems.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

+ Reply to Thread