Sun Blade [12]000 power button insides needed - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun Blade [12]000 power button insides needed - SUN ; Hello all, I've recently acquired two SB-1000s, and one of them appeared to have a power button which was being ignored. Pulling the shroud off from around the drives and comparing, I discovered that while one had a clear plastic ...

  1. Sun Blade [12]000 power button insides needed

    Hello all,

    I've recently acquired two SB-1000s, and one of them appeared to
    have a power button which was being ignored.

    Pulling the shroud off from around the drives and comparing, I
    discovered that while one had a clear plastic spider inside the button,
    the other did not. Sun's Field Engineer's Handbook calls this a "light
    pipe", and it is not separately available. You appear to have to buy
    the whole shroud. (If anyone cares, I can look up the part number for
    the shroud.

    So -- I hope to find someone who is stripping down machines,
    SB-1000 or SB-2000, who can either sell me the light pipe alone, or the
    whole shroud. I'm not picky -- SB-1000 or SB-2000 are equally
    acceptable, especially since I can shift the light pipe to the
    appropriate shroud myself -- and wait until I get enough other parts to
    upgrade the system to being a SB-2000. :-)

    Even better would be a replacement for the rest of the front
    panel, as the one without the light pipe has also had the crossbar
    cracked at the top of the front panel -- as I discovered when trying to
    unhook the shroud from where it latches at the top.

    So far, I have gone through one of three large garbage bags full
    of styrofoam peanuts and crushed styrofoam panels looking for this
    little piece.

    I can't complain, as I just paid for the packing and shipping.
    I got the machines for free. And I *can* use the machine without the
    shroud, thus giving access to the actual power button.

    Thanks much,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  2. Re: Sun Blade [12]000 power button insides needed

    In article ,
    "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've recently acquired two SB-1000s, and one of them appeared to
    > have a power button which was being ignored.
    >
    > Pulling the shroud off from around the drives and comparing, I
    > discovered that while one had a clear plastic spider inside the button,
    > the other did not. Sun's Field Engineer's Handbook calls this a "light
    > pipe", and it is not separately available. You appear to have to buy
    > the whole shroud. (If anyone cares, I can look up the part number for
    > the shroud.
    >
    > So -- I hope to find someone who is stripping down machines,
    > SB-1000 or SB-2000, who can either sell me the light pipe alone, or the
    > whole shroud. I'm not picky -- SB-1000 or SB-2000 are equally
    > acceptable, especially since I can shift the light pipe to the
    > appropriate shroud myself -- and wait until I get enough other parts to
    > upgrade the system to being a SB-2000. :-)
    >
    > Even better would be a replacement for the rest of the front
    > panel, as the one without the light pipe has also had the crossbar
    > cracked at the top of the front panel -- as I discovered when trying to
    > unhook the shroud from where it latches at the top.
    >
    > So far, I have gone through one of three large garbage bags full
    > of styrofoam peanuts and crushed styrofoam panels looking for this
    > little piece.
    >
    > I can't complain, as I just paid for the packing and shipping.
    > I got the machines for free. And I *can* use the machine without the
    > shroud, thus giving access to the actual power button.
    >
    > Thanks much,
    > DoN.

    I might be able to help you out. Where are you located?

    Josh

  3. Re: Sun Blade [12]000 power button insides needed

    On 2007-11-24, Josh McKee wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I've recently acquired two SB-1000s, and one of them appeared to
    >> have a power button which was being ignored.

    [ ... lots snipped ... ]

    >> So -- I hope to find someone who is stripping down machines,
    >> SB-1000 or SB-2000, who can either sell me the light pipe alone, or the
    >> whole shroud. I'm not picky -- SB-1000 or SB-2000 are equally
    >> acceptable, especially since I can shift the light pipe to the
    >> appropriate shroud myself -- and wait until I get enough other parts to
    >> upgrade the system to being a SB-2000. :-)

    [ ... ]

    > I might be able to help you out. Where are you located?

    A bit southwest of Washington DC -- Vienna, VA.

    Or -- if you prefer:

    -77 deg 15' 56"
    38 deg 54' 40"

    :-)

    FWIW -- my e-mail address is valid -- both in the "From: "
    header and in the .sig below. Yours appears to be munged, so e-mail
    will have to start from your end.

    Thanks,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564