Auto Boot Failure - SUN

This is a discussion on Auto Boot Failure - SUN ; Gentle People: My Ultra 30 seems to have lost the ability to automatically boot at power on. It stops at the OK> prompt. No error messaged are displayed on the screen. When I type boot the machine boots normally without ...

  1. Auto Boot Failure

    Gentle People:

    My Ultra 30 seems to have lost the ability
    to automatically boot at power on. It stops at the
    OK> prompt. No error messaged are displayed on the
    screen. When I type boot the machine boots normally
    without error messages.

    1) Is there a an error log available at the OK> prompt?

    2) BTW dose anyone know the title and availability
    of a manual that documents the OK> prompt command
    language? Yes: probably Sun but the name of the command
    language or manual would be helpful.

    3) How do I fix the machine so that it automatically
    boost.

    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Thomas Dineen

  2. Re: Auto Boot Failure

    In comp.unix.solaris Thomas Dineen wrote:
    > 1) Is there a an error log available at the OK> prompt?

    Not typically, no. Something more sophisticated like an ALOM might
    have such.

    > 2) BTW dose anyone know the title and availability
    > of a manual that documents the OK> prompt command
    > language? Yes: probably Sun but the name of the command

    That's the OpenBOOT, and it uses Forth. Type "help" at the prompt.

    > 3) How do I fix the machine so that it automatically
    > boost.

    From the sounds of it, at the OK, type:
    setenv auto-boot? true

    Or, from Solaris, as root:
    eeprom 'auto-boot?=true'

    --
    Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

  3. Re: Auto Boot Failure

    Thomas Dineen wrote:
    > Gentle People:
    >
    > My Ultra 30 seems to have lost the ability
    > to automatically boot at power on. It stops at the
    > OK> prompt. No error messaged are displayed on the
    > screen. When I type boot the machine boots normally
    > without error messages.
    >
    > 1) Is there a an error log available at the OK> prompt?
    >
    > 2) BTW dose anyone know the title and availability
    > of a manual that documents the OK> prompt command
    > language? Yes: probably Sun but the name of the command
    > language or manual would be helpful.
    >
    > 3) How do I fix the machine so that it automatically
    > boost.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help.
    > Thomas Dineen

    At the ok prompt, you need to do something like
    set auto-boot true

    I won't guarantee that the above is exactly correct but it's close.
    It might be setenv instead of set and/or "auto-boot?" instead of auto-boot.

    See docs.sun.com for the Open Boot PROM manuals! It's all in there.
    Or, if you want to pay me, (cash in advance please) I will look it up
    for you. It has been something like four years since a last needed to
    do that. . . .

+ Reply to Thread