Type 4 keyboard switch technology? - SUN

This is a discussion on Type 4 keyboard switch technology? - SUN ; What kind of switch technology do the old Sun type 4 keyboards use? I'm looking for a keyboard that will: 1) Give good tactile feedback 2) Be relatively quiet - more so than an IBM Model M 3) Work on ...

  1. Type 4 keyboard switch technology?

    What kind of switch technology do the old Sun type 4 keyboards use?

    I'm looking for a keyboard that will:
    1) Give good tactile feedback
    2) Be relatively quiet - more so than an IBM Model M
    3) Work on PC

    The Sun Type 4 keyboards seem pretty close to what I'm looking for,
    except for #3. But if I can find out what switch technology they used, I
    may be able to find something more modern with similar switches.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Type 4 keyboard switch technology?

    Dan Stromberg writes:

    >What kind of switch technology do the old Sun type 4 keyboards use?
    >
    >I'm looking for a keyboard that will:
    >1) Give good tactile feedback
    >2) Be relatively quiet - more so than an IBM Model M
    >3) Work on PC
    >
    >The Sun Type 4 keyboards seem pretty close to what I'm looking for,
    >except for #3. But if I can find out what switch technology they used, I
    >may be able to find something more modern with similar switches.

    I use the Fujitsu FKB4726 keyboard which feels very similar to the
    old type 4 units (not as loud as Model Ms). They have a PS/2 style
    interface, and I've used them successfully with a couple of different
    brands of PS/2-to-USB adapters.

    The last ones I bought were from Arrow Electronics: www.arrow.com
    Select the world region under "Electronic Components & Embedded
    Computer Products", then search for "fkb4726". Fujitsu's website
    also had a function to locate resellers the last time I used it.

    Fujitsu makes a keyboard with a similar part number that has a USB
    interface, but I've never tried it. I don't know if the key action
    is the same or different.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  3. Re: Type 4 keyboard switch technology?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Dan Stromberg wrote:

    > What kind of switch technology do the old Sun type 4 keyboards use?
    >
    > I'm looking for a keyboard that will:
    > 1) Give good tactile feedback
    > 2) Be relatively quiet - more so than an IBM Model M
    > 3) Work on PC
    >
    > The Sun Type 4 keyboards seem pretty close to what I'm looking for,
    > except for #3. But if I can find out what switch technology they used, I
    > may be able to find something more modern with similar switches.

    I use my Type 5c keyboard on PCs with USB connections by using
    VPI's Type 5 <-> USB converter. IIRC, the Type 4 keyboard uses
    the same interface, so that solution might work for you (though
    I personally prefer the feel of the Type 5--to each their own!).

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  4. Re: Type 4 keyboard switch technology?

    In Dan Stromberg writes:

    >What kind of switch technology do the old Sun type 4 keyboards use?

    >I'm looking for a keyboard that will:
    >1) Give good tactile feedback
    >2) Be relatively quiet - more so than an IBM Model M
    >3) Work on PC

    >The Sun Type 4 keyboards seem pretty close to what I'm looking for,
    >except for #3. But if I can find out what switch technology they used, I
    >may be able to find something more modern with similar switches.

    Try the SmartBoard from Datadesk. Certainly meets criteria 1) and 3); I
    don't find it to be too loud, but others may differ. It also has an
    "ergonomic" layout which will take a short time to get used to.

    --
    David B. Chorlian
    Neurodynamics Lab SUNY/HSCB

  5. Re: Type 4 keyboard switch technology?

    On Nov 16, 12:22 pm, David B. Chorlian wrote:
    > Try the SmartBoard from Datadesk. Certainly meets criteria 1) and 3); I
    > don't find it to be too loud, but others may differ. It also has an
    > "ergonomic" layout which will take a short time to get used to.

    WOW. An ergonomic keyboard with the [6] on the *correct* side! I
    haven't seen one of those for quite a while.

    --
    Andy

+ Reply to Thread