Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120 - SUN

This is a discussion on Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120 - SUN ; I've got a 9-pin headshell, a stright through cable, and a 25-pin(?) headshell which works great when connecting to my Sun Enterprise server. However, removing the 25pin and plugging the RJ45 connector into either LOM or Serial on a SunFire ...

  1. Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    I've got a 9-pin headshell, a stright through cable, and a 25-pin(?)
    headshell which works great when connecting to my Sun Enterprise
    server.

    However, removing the 25pin and plugging the RJ45 connector into
    either LOM or Serial on a SunFire (and other end 9-pin to PC serial
    port), I get nothing at all.

    Any ideas????

  2. Re: Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:
    >I've got a 9-pin headshell, a stright through cable, and a 25-pin(?)
    >headshell which works great when connecting to my Sun Enterprise
    >server.

    A Nullmodem cable then..

    >However, removing the 25pin and plugging the RJ45 connector into
    >either LOM or Serial on a SunFire (and other end 9-pin to PC serial
    >port), I get nothing at all.

    Get rid of the nullmodem-ness..

    The cisco layout that Sun uses makes it real easy, cut one end off, flip
    the plug around, and crimp a new one on. (ie. some call this a rolled cable).
    Or make a new cable that has this property.

    Or buy a null modem adapter for the 9-pin end.

  3. Re: Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've got a 9-pin headshell, a stright through cable, and a 25-pin(?)
    > headshell which works great when connecting to my Sun Enterprise
    > server.

    How are the headshells wired? There's not necessarily any standards for
    RS232 to RJ45.

    > However, removing the 25pin and plugging the RJ45 connector into
    > either LOM or Serial on a SunFire (and other end 9-pin to PC serial
    > port), I get nothing at all.

    It's not wired in a compatible way.

    See http://www.sunhelp.org/unix-serial-p...erial-pinouts/
    for the wiring layout of standard 25pin, 9pin, and Sun's RJ45 layouts.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  4. Re: Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    ddunham@taos.com (Darren Dunham) writes:
    >How are the headshells wired? There's not necessarily any standards for
    >RS232 to RJ45.

    I was surprised to find that there is one, EIA/TIA 561. Just nobody
    choose to implement it. Its very simular to Cisco pinout which is what
    the defacto seems to have become, like swapping different pins around,
    but the same basic format.

  5. Re: Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > ddunham@taos.com (Darren Dunham) writes:
    >>How are the headshells wired? There's not necessarily any standards for
    >>RS232 to RJ45.

    > I was surprised to find that there is one, EIA/TIA 561. Just nobody
    > choose to implement it. Its very simular to Cisco pinout which is what
    > the defacto seems to have become, like swapping different pins around,
    > but the same basic format.

    Cool. I've never looked for a standard before. It may be defacto now,
    but I just remember dealing with ioLAN, digi, and a lot of Bay
    Networks/Nortel/Xylogics Annex boxes. I used to see a lot of Sun shops
    with them (I think Sun resold or suggested Annex as console access
    devices at one time?) Definitely not the same pinouts.

    Since then I assume that all DB25-RJ45 boxes are wired randomly unless
    proven otherwise....

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  6. Re: Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    ddunham@taos.com (Darren Dunham) writes:

    >Since then I assume that all DB25-RJ45 boxes are wired randomly unless
    >proven otherwise....

    :-)

    Sun and Cisco use the same pinout which has some nice properties (but
    only uses 7 signals in total). Annex uses a fdifferent Pin out and uses
    8 signals. RS232 want 9, so it never really fits perfectly.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  7. Re: Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    ddunham@taos.com (Darren Dunham) writes:
    >Cool. I've never looked for a standard before. It may be defacto now,
    >but I just remember dealing with ioLAN, digi, and a lot of Bay
    >Networks/Nortel/Xylogics Annex boxes. I used to see a lot of Sun shops
    >with them (I think Sun resold or suggested Annex as console access
    >devices at one time?) Definitely not the same pinouts.

    Yes, Sun both used the Annex internally for their earliest cluster
    servers, as well as suggested and resold console server devices. Only
    the micro-Annex had the RJ45 ports though. The bigger ones were
    special octopus cables.

    >Since then I assume that all DB25-RJ45 boxes are wired randomly unless
    >proven otherwise....

    Now-a-days, I do work with alot of serial configured boxes (switches,
    firewalls, some sun servers, etc), and usually assume that my cisco
    console cable will work fine (and it does, Juniper/Netscreen,
    Fortigate, cisco, Sun, etc). If it doesn't, then I build a little
    adapter cable to make the pinout conform to cisco. I can keep a few of
    little 2" specially wired RJ45 cables in my bag, just labelled
    appropriatly for the odd ones (old CBOS routers, Adtran)..
    Couple one on, and there I go.

  8. Re: Serial/LOM port access to Sunfire V120

    Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >Sun and Cisco use the same pinout which has some nice properties (but
    >only uses 7 signals in total). Annex uses a fdifferent Pin out and uses
    >8 signals. RS232 want 9, so it never really fits perfectly.

    That's misleading. To the best of my knowledge, the Sparc RS232 hardware
    has never made use of the 2nd ground pin, and the SunOS async drivers have
    never done anything with the RI pin.

    That leaves only 8 pins that are used: TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DSR, GND,
    DCD, DTR.

    Heck, the SunOS async drivers barely do anything with the DSR pin (mostly
    treating it like another DCD).

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.