Probably a stupid question - SUN

This is a discussion on Probably a stupid question - SUN ; I was asked today what the flap door thing-a-ma-jig above the FDD on an Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 is for. I frankly have no idea and never really cared until I was asked today. Anyone know what the heck ...

  1. Probably a stupid question

    I was asked today what the flap door thing-a-ma-jig above the FDD on an
    Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 is for. I frankly have no idea and never really cared
    until I was asked today. Anyone know what the heck Sun put it there for?

    Thanks,

    Rob

  2. Re: Probably a stupid question

    On Nov 7, 2:18 pm, "Rob Fraser" wrote:
    > I was asked today what the flap door thing-a-ma-jig above the FDD on an
    > Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 is for. I frankly have no idea and never really cared
    > until I was asked today. Anyone know what the heck Sun put it there for?

    The door is there to cover the hole, of course.

    The hole is there to allow access to a smartcard terminal (or
    "reader"),
    although I don't think I've ever seen a U10 or U5 that actually had a
    terminal installed back there.

    OttoM.
    __
    ottomeister (more often at gmail than at mail.com)

    Disclaimer: These are my opinions. I do not speak for my employer.

  3. Re: Probably a stupid question

    According to :
    > On Nov 7, 2:18 pm, "Rob Fraser" wrote:
    > > I was asked today what the flap door thing-a-ma-jig above the FDD on an
    > > Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 is for. I frankly have no idea and never really cared
    > > until I was asked today. Anyone know what the heck Sun put it there for?

    > The door is there to cover the hole, of course.
    >
    > The hole is there to allow access to a smartcard terminal (or
    > "reader"),
    > although I don't think I've ever seen a U10 or U5 that actually had a
    > terminal installed back there.

    There was one in my Ultra-5 (from a hamfest), though I've never
    knowingly needed it, nor had one fo the cards to put in there. :-)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  4. Re: Probably a stupid question

    "DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
    > According to :
    >> On Nov 7, 2:18 pm, "Rob Fraser" wrote:
    >> > I was asked today what the flap door thing-a-ma-jig above the FDD
    >> > on an
    >> > Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 is for. I frankly have no idea and never really
    >> > cared
    >> > until I was asked today. Anyone know what the heck Sun put it there
    >> > for?

    >> The door is there to cover the hole, of course.
    >>
    >> The hole is there to allow access to a smartcard terminal (or
    >> "reader"),
    >> although I don't think I've ever seen a U10 or U5 that actually had a
    >> terminal installed back there.

    > There was one in my Ultra-5 (from a hamfest), though I've never
    > knowingly needed it, nor had one fo the cards to put in there. :-)
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > DoN.
    >
    > --
    > Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    > (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    > --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

    My, my, my, What a small world we live in Don! I started posting on here
    last week for hopes of getting the engine dyno and CAD/CAM systems in the
    shop all under one domain. Funny bumping into you here given our usual
    conversation is welding and the top fuel race car nightmares. I did get the
    dyno room set up. Just looking for an X86 Sun Server and two or three
    workstations for the room. This has been a tough nut to crack! I have been
    getting a lot of good advice from the fellas here and I'm getting there
    slowly but sure enough. I had to walk away from the build after the Hemi
    that was on the dyno puked. 600cid paperweight at present.
    Good to know you are a part of this forum. I have been bugging the guys
    here with some strange stuff and I have not even tried the interface for the
    Eddy current sensors for the dyno on a Ultra 10. I see beer in my future on
    that day! Small world. Glad your here. Are you still happy with the
    performance logs on the new farm?

    All the best,

    Rob Fraser (Fraser Competition Engines out of
    Chicago)

    PS: Did you need the Exabyte sleds or was it Dave? I totally forgot.

  5. Re: Probably a stupid question

    According to Rob Fraser :

    > "DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

    [ ... smart cards ... ]

    > > There was one in my Ultra-5 (from a hamfest), though I've never
    > > knowingly needed it, nor had one fo the cards to put in there. :-)

    [ ... ]

    > My, my, my, What a small world we live in Don! I started posting on here
    > last week for hopes of getting the engine dyno and CAD/CAM systems in the
    > shop all under one domain. Funny bumping into you here given our usual
    > conversation is welding and the top fuel race car nightmares.

    Hmm ... I've been posting in rec.crafts.metalworking. Were
    those cross-posted to another newgroup or two? Welding is something
    which I have not yet done -- other than bandsaw blade welding with a
    tool made for the purpose.

    And when I used to be interesting in autos, it was mostly MGAa,
    (1622 CC max) not the big things which you play with.

    > I did get the
    > dyno room set up. Just looking for an X86 Sun Server and two or three
    > workstations for the room. This has been a tough nut to crack! I have been
    > getting a lot of good advice from the fellas here and I'm getting there
    > slowly but sure enough. I had to walk away from the build after the Hemi
    > that was on the dyno puked. 600cid paperweight at present.

    Ouch!

    I don't use the X18 Sun equipment, so I'm not sure how much help
    I can be here. I stick with the SPARC machines -- and my old ones were
    Sun3 machines (Motorola MC68020).

    > Good to know you are a part of this forum. I have been bugging the guys
    > here with some strange stuff and I have not even tried the interface for the
    > Eddy current sensors for the dyno on a Ultra 10.

    Are they on PCI cards? At least the Ultra-10 does have PCI
    slots (three of them). Whether it is fast enough remains to be seen, of
    course.

    > I see beer in my future on
    > that day! Small world. Glad your here. Are you still happy with the
    > performance logs on the new farm?

    You mean the array of disk drives and the tape jukebox? Or are
    we getting crossed up with someone else from RCM? Perhaps with Don
    Foreman instead of me?

    > All the best,
    >
    > Rob Fraser (Fraser Competition Engines out of
    > Chicago)
    >
    > PS: Did you need the Exabyte sleds or was it Dave? I totally forgot.

    What I need are the 10-slot magazines for the Exabyte EXB-430,
    which are not compatible with the other styles (for which I already have
    magazines). The only other library which uses the ones I need (that I
    know of) is the EXB-215 (maximum of two Mammoth-2 drives instead of the
    four which mine can handle), and one magazine plus five slots internal,
    compared to two of the magazines, and ten slots internal.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  6. Re: Probably a stupid question

    In article <1194477656.830155.92460@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.c om> ottomeister@mail.com writes:
    >On Nov 7, 2:18 pm, "Rob Fraser" wrote:
    >> I was asked today what the flap door thing-a-ma-jig above the FDD on an
    >> Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 is for. I frankly have no idea and never really cared
    >> until I was asked today. Anyone know what the heck Sun put it there for?

    >The door is there to cover the hole, of course.
    >
    >The hole is there to allow access to a smartcard terminal (or
    >"reader"),
    >although I don't think I've ever seen a U10 or U5 that actually had a
    >terminal installed back there.
    >
    >OttoM.
    >__
    >ottomeister (more often at gmail than at mail.com)
    >
    >Disclaimer: These are my opinions. I do not speak for my employer.

    I've seen them -- in those Kodak photo kiosk devices at drug stores,
    etc, here in the US. They used a Ultra 5 with a touch screen. The
    "hole" had a device for reading memory cards from cameras. I'd just
    use USB myself...
    --
    Jeff Wieland

+ Reply to Thread