DHCP Nightmare on Hostname - SUN

This is a discussion on DHCP Nightmare on Hostname - SUN ; I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but I figure I'd ask with the hopes of some help. I have just switched over to DHCP on all my Sun servers and workstations. Small environment in ...

  1. DHCP Nightmare on Hostname

    I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but I figure I'd
    ask with the hopes of some help.

    I have just switched over to DHCP on all my Sun servers and workstations.
    Small environment in the test phases now. I have a problem I have been
    fighting fir two days. All my machines are freshly loaded Solaris 9 with
    DHCP IPV4 I edit the etc/hostname and etc/host file to reflect the machine
    name and it still returns "Unknown" on each box. When I had a static IP
    env. everything worked fine. Am I missing something here? I don't have any
    problems with addy conflicts and the IP's are coming clean. Any idea on my
    problem?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Respects,

    Rob Fraser

    PS: I'm new to this forum. I was pointed here from a friend who I do work
    for. I will be around here bugging you experts as I'm pretty obsolete to the
    IT realm. I am just building out my infrastructure in Solaris and Sun as I
    am not happy feeding the Gates machine and I have a very high opinion of
    UNIX (Just need to hone the skills!)

  2. Re: DHCP Nightmare on Hostname

    Rob Fraser wrote:
    > I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but I figure I'd
    > ask with the hopes of some help.
    >
    > I have just switched over to DHCP on all my Sun servers and workstations.
    > Small environment in the test phases now. I have a problem I have been
    > fighting fir two days. All my machines are freshly loaded Solaris 9 with

    Why solaris 9, and not 10?

    here's you problem and solution:

    http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail...ry/005076.html

  3. Re: DHCP Nightmare on Hostname

    "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
    > Rob Fraser wrote:
    >> I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but I figure
    >> I'd
    >> ask with the hopes of some help.
    >>
    >> I have just switched over to DHCP on all my Sun servers and
    >> workstations.
    >> Small environment in the test phases now. I have a problem I have been
    >> fighting fir two days. All my machines are freshly loaded Solaris 9 with

    > Why solaris 9, and not 10?
    >
    > here's you problem and solution:
    >
    > http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail...ry/005076.html

    Thanks!!!! I'm going to work on it now.