Sun 280 or Sunfire 1U's Running Win XP - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun 280 or Sunfire 1U's Running Win XP - SUN ; Hello all, Wondering if anyone here has had any luck or failure running Win Xp (pro 32) on a 280R or on a Sun Fire Reason I'm asking is for a CAD/CAM environment build out. I have 250R's running ProE ...

  1. Sun 280 or Sunfire 1U's Running Win XP

    Hello all,

    Wondering if anyone here has had any luck or failure running Win Xp (pro
    32) on a 280R or on a Sun Fire Reason I'm asking is for a CAD/CAM
    environment build out. I have 250R's running ProE without problems and I
    wanted to see how AutoCAD R14 will run. Also- New to the Sun Fire line. Is
    there a video option for CAD you would recommend? I would assume the PCI
    slot would hold a Viper pretty well. Small form card. Just kicking ideas
    around.

    Thanks,

    Rob Fraser

  2. Re: Sun 280 or Sunfire 1U's Running Win XP

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Rob Fraser wrote:

    > Wondering if anyone here has had any luck or failure running Win Xp (pro
    > 32) on a 280R or on a Sun Fire Reason I'm asking is for a CAD/CAM

    The 280R is a SPARC-based server, so there's no chance it'll run Windoze
    natively! You could use a Sun PCi card, but given that they've all been
    EOLed, I suggest looking at the Ultra 20, 40 or 24 workstations.

    > environment build out. I have 250R's running ProE without problems and I
    > wanted to see how AutoCAD R14 will run. Also- New to the Sun Fire line. Is
    > there a video option for CAD you would recommend? I would assume the PCI

    Umm, Sun Fires are servers. One doesn't put a video card in a server,
    especially one suitable for CAD work. That's what workstations are
    for.

    So, Sun Fire servers for your backend (data storage, etc.), and Ultra
    workstations with nice fast nVidia graphics cards for your desktop CAD
    needs.

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  3. Re: Sun 280 or Sunfire 1U's Running Win XP

    "Rob Fraser" writes:

    > Wondering if anyone here has had any luck or failure running Win Xp (pro
    >32) on a 280R or on a Sun Fire Reason I'm asking is for a CAD/CAM
    >environment build out. I have 250R's running ProE without problems and I
    >wanted to see how AutoCAD R14 will run. Also- New to the Sun Fire line. Is
    >there a video option for CAD you would recommend? I would assume the PCI
    >slot would hold a Viper pretty well. Small form card. Just kicking ideas
    >around.

    The SunFire 280R is an older SPARC based rack mount server;
    the 250 (There's a 250 or 220R, couldn't not find a 250R) are
    also SPARC based. Pro/Engineer comes in a SPARC version so that
    works fine (under Solaris)

    Windows XP with AutoCAD will certainly NOT run on SPARC based
    hardware.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread