Are my Sunray 1s faulty? - SUN

This is a discussion on Are my Sunray 1s faulty? - SUN ; I have a Sun Netra AC 200 with one gig RAM running Solaris 10, Sunray server, and Windows connector. I have 3 Sunray 1s and 5 Sunray 1gs that work but 4 Sunray 1s I bought at an auction in ...

  1. Are my Sunray 1s faulty?

    I have a Sun Netra AC 200 with one gig RAM running Solaris 10,
    Sunray server, and Windows connector.
    I have 3 Sunray 1s and 5 Sunray 1gs that work but 4 Sunray 1s
    I bought at an auction in one lot will not get past the initial blue
    square with the mac address at the top.
    Does that mean they are faulty or could there be another
    explanation? Is this a known fault that can be fixed?
    Is it worthwhile salvaging parts from them or might they be
    of interest to someone?
    Thanks.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

  2. Re: Are my Sunray 1s faulty?

    Barry OGrady wrote:
    > I have a Sun Netra AC 200 with one gig RAM running Solaris 10,
    > Sunray server, and Windows connector.
    > I have 3 Sunray 1s and 5 Sunray 1gs that work but 4 Sunray 1s
    > I bought at an auction in one lot will not get past the initial blue
    > square with the mac address at the top.
    > Does that mean they are faulty or could there be another
    > explanation? Is this a known fault that can be fixed?
    > Is it worthwhile salvaging parts from them or might they be
    > of interest to someone?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    > I do not represent atheists or atheism

    You might try force loading new firmware -- as I recall there was
    a change which caused some problems for autoloading new firmware
    into devices with firmware older than a particular revision level.

  3. Re: Are my Sunray 1s faulty?

    On Nov 6, 6:46 pm, Barry OGrady wrote:
    > I have a Sun Netra AC 200 with one gig RAM running Solaris 10,
    > Sunray server, and Windows connector.
    > I have 3 Sunray 1s and 5 Sunray 1gs that work but 4 Sunray 1s
    > I bought at an auction in one lot will not get past the initial blue
    > square with the mac address at the top.
    > Does that mean they are faulty or could there be another
    > explanation? Is this a known fault that can be fixed?

    If they get that far they're basically OK. Match the code in the
    bottom
    right of the blue square against the description in the
    Troubleshooting
    section of the Sun Ray Admin Guide at
    . That'll
    tell you what the unit is trying to do, and that should help you to
    figure
    out what's wrong. Maybe the DHCP server has run out of leaseable
    addresses, maybe (as CJT said) these units need newer firmware
    before they can work in the environment you've put them into.

    OttoM.
    __
    ottomeister (more often at gmail than at mail.com)

    Disclaimer: These are my opinions. I do not speak for my employer.

  4. Re: Are my Sunray 1s faulty?

    On 7 Nov 2007 20:56:27 -0800, ottomeister@mail.com wrote:

    >On Nov 6, 6:46 pm, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> I have a Sun Netra AC 200 with one gig RAM running Solaris 10,
    >> Sunray server, and Windows connector.
    >> I have 3 Sunray 1s and 5 Sunray 1gs that work but 4 Sunray 1s
    >> I bought at an auction in one lot will not get past the initial blue
    >> square with the mac address at the top.
    >> Does that mean they are faulty or could there be another
    >> explanation? Is this a known fault that can be fixed?

    >If they get that far they're basically OK. Match the code in the
    >bottom
    >right of the blue square against the description in the
    >Troubleshooting
    >section of the Sun Ray Admin Guide at
    >. That'll
    >tell you what the unit is trying to do, and that should help you to
    >figure
    >out what's wrong. Maybe the DHCP server has run out of leaseable
    >addresses, maybe (as CJT said) these units need newer firmware
    >before they can work in the environment you've put them into.

    Thank you and CJT so much.
    I hooked one of them up again to see what the number in the blue
    square was and to my surprise it worked perfectly. I then retested
    the others and they too work as they should.
    Its odd because when they failed before all of the four from the
    one lot failed but one I had previously worked. I can only guess they
    didn't like the ethernet connection for some reason.

    Once again all is right with the Sun part of the world.

    >OttoM.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

  5. Re: Are my Sunray 1s faulty?

    Barry OGrady writes:

    >I have a Sun Netra AC 200 with one gig RAM running Solaris 10,
    >Sunray server, and Windows connector.
    >I have 3 Sunray 1s and 5 Sunray 1gs that work but 4 Sunray 1s
    >I bought at an auction in one lot will not get past the initial blue
    >square with the mac address at the top.
    >Does that mean they are faulty or could there be another
    >explanation? Is this a known fault that can be fixed?
    >Is it worthwhile salvaging parts from them or might they be
    >of interest to someone?

    Can you snoop for their ethernet address and see if anothing comes
    flying by?

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  6. Re: Are my Sunray 1s faulty?

    Barry OGrady writes:

    >I hooked one of them up again to see what the number in the blue
    >square was and to my surprise it worked perfectly. I then retested
    >the others and they too work as they should.
    >Its odd because when they failed before all of the four from the
    >one lot failed but one I had previously worked. I can only guess they
    >didn't like the ethernet connection for some reason.

    Bad cable perhaps?

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread