Head scratching memory problems E250 - SUN

This is a discussion on Head scratching memory problems E250 - SUN ; Problem: My machine was in dire need of more RAM (512Mb) E250 2x400 New problem: I bought 1gb of RAM - one pair marked "0011" one module marked "9824" one marked "9811" (4x256) Issue: When I pulled my old 512mb ...

  1. Head scratching memory problems E250

    Problem: My machine was in dire need of more RAM (512Mb) E250 2x400

    New problem: I bought 1gb of RAM - one pair marked "0011" one module marked
    "9824" one marked "9811" (4x256)

    Issue: When I pulled my old 512mb (128x4) all marked the same and installed
    the new ram to 4x256 to give me 1gb. When booting it only sees 512mb. I
    added my old 12 mb (new ram in the bottom slots, new ram above) I get 1 GB.
    on boot.

    If I recall correctly the memory is supposed to be paired to function in
    the unit. Hence why I think the 9824 and 9811 are conflicting and not being
    seen. (?)

    It has been a long, long time since I worked on this gear and I don't ever
    recall ever having issues with this stuff. Then again, in the "day" I was
    using brand new Sun OEM fresh out of the box and not getting it from EBay
    (Where my 1Gb came from) I do have another replacement set on the way all
    tagged the same from the vendor. Am I missing something or doing something
    wrong? I mean I even wore my ESD strap, all the goodies I remember from my
    old A+ days.... God, I'm dating myself..... Any help folks- Am I
    forgetting a step or doing something totally wrong? I am populating the ram
    from the bottom up as described before. I'm stumped.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Rob Fraser

  2. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    Rob Fraser wrote:
    > Problem: My machine was in dire need of more RAM (512Mb) E250 2x400
    >
    > New problem: I bought 1gb of RAM - one pair marked "0011" one module marked
    > "9824" one marked "9811" (4x256)
    >
    > Issue: When I pulled my old 512mb (128x4) all marked the same and installed
    > the new ram to 4x256 to give me 1gb. When booting it only sees 512mb. I
    > added my old 12 mb (new ram in the bottom slots, new ram above) I get 1 GB.
    > on boot.
    >
    > If I recall correctly the memory is supposed to be paired to function in
    > the unit. Hence why I think the 9824 and 9811 are conflicting and not being
    > seen. (?)
    >
    > It has been a long, long time since I worked on this gear and I don't ever
    > recall ever having issues with this stuff. Then again, in the "day" I was
    > using brand new Sun OEM fresh out of the box and not getting it from EBay
    > (Where my 1Gb came from) I do have another replacement set on the way all
    > tagged the same from the vendor. Am I missing something or doing something
    > wrong? I mean I even wore my ESD strap, all the goodies I remember from my

    Buying from off ebay is one mistake. Memory is something that has to work 100%
    of the time in a computer. There's no excuse to screw around and save 50 cents
    on crap memory, ever.

  3. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
    > Rob Fraser wrote:
    >> Problem: My machine was in dire need of more RAM (512Mb) E250 2x400
    >>
    >> New problem: I bought 1gb of RAM - one pair marked "0011" one module
    >> marked
    >> "9824" one marked "9811" (4x256)
    >>
    >> Issue: When I pulled my old 512mb (128x4) all marked the same and
    >> installed
    >> the new ram to 4x256 to give me 1gb. When booting it only sees 512mb. I
    >> added my old 12 mb (new ram in the bottom slots, new ram above) I get 1
    >> GB.
    >> on boot.
    >>
    >> If I recall correctly the memory is supposed to be paired to function in
    >> the unit. Hence why I think the 9824 and 9811 are conflicting and not
    >> being
    >> seen. (?)
    >>
    >> It has been a long, long time since I worked on this gear and I don't
    >> ever
    >> recall ever having issues with this stuff. Then again, in the "day" I was
    >> using brand new Sun OEM fresh out of the box and not getting it from EBay
    >> (Where my 1Gb came from) I do have another replacement set on the way all
    >> tagged the same from the vendor. Am I missing something or doing
    >> something
    >> wrong? I mean I even wore my ESD strap, all the goodies I remember from
    >> my

    > Buying from off ebay is one mistake. Memory is something that has to work
    > 100%
    > of the time in a computer. There's no excuse to screw around and save 50
    > cents
    > on crap memory, ever.

    While I fully agree with you on crap memory. I am dealing with "system
    pulls" Mostly Samsung media. If my budget permitted use of new memory I
    would indeed go that route. Since this is a test setup and proof of concept
    shoe-string project I'm sort of held over a barrel on this. When I worked
    for a large bank with a huge budget this would indeed be my war-cry too.
    but I'm looking to ensure I'm correct in my thinking that they need to be
    installed in sets of four, all the same in "lot numbers" I have one seller
    sending me a set all marked 9099 and I just wanted to make sure I was
    correct before I keep bugging vendors to try to make sure they know what
    they are selling and being firm in my position. I just wanted an expert
    opinion as I'm definitely not an expert. I'm just trying to isolate my
    problem.

    Respects,

    Rob

  4. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    Rob Fraser wrote:

    : Problem: My machine was in dire need of more RAM (512Mb) E250 2x400

    : New problem: I bought 1gb of RAM - one pair marked "0011" one module marked
    : "9824" one marked "9811" (4x256)

    You do realize those numbers are just date codes (eleventh week of 2000,
    twentyforth week of 1998 and so forth)?

    Is about as helpful as saying two are light-green, other are dark green.

    Unless you bought table scraps, there should be a bar code or some other id
    number that starts with 501, etched or printed on the board (not on the
    chips).

    One number for the 64mb is 501-2480 and the 128mb is 501-3136.

    It may be marked with a long number like 501248055967822, just take the 501,
    add a dash and the next four numbers, then punch it into google.

    One note of interest, I don't think the E250's were set up for 256mb simms,
    if I'm not mistaken, there are like 16 slots with a max of 2GB total.

    So you need 8 of the 128mb ones for 1GB (16 will give the max of 2gb).

    Or if your heart is set on 1gb, the 64mb's are usually a dime each these
    days. 16 of those with shipping should well be under $10.00.

    -bruce
    bje@ripco.com

  5. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    : Buying from off ebay is one mistake. Memory is something that has to work 100%
    : of the time in a computer. There's no excuse to screw around and save 50 cents
    : on crap memory, ever.

    I kind of agree with you as a general statement but I also think Sun parts
    and ebay isn't all that big of a risk, including ram.

    These days it's obvious the parts are worth more than the whole on the older
    machines. I also think alot of the surplus places end up with them on the
    pallets thinking they stuck a gold mine. When they find out few would pay
    more than the shipping on these 100+ pound machines, the parts bargain
    begin.

    Of course the reverse happens too, I picked up a 280R a couple years ago
    complete (including 2gb ram) for about $350 including shipping. When I
    started to look around for 4gb ram, nearly **** when I found out a bargain
    would of been around $1000, just for the ram.

    So back to ebay, takes patience but another one turned up from another
    surplus place, 4GB ram, got that one for about $250 including shipping.

    In reality, both machines, except for the usual cosmetic damage are in
    excellent to mint shape operational wise.

    I'm just saying the stuff from ebay dealing with Sun parts in general is a
    safer risk because it's probably a surplus or similar joint you are dealing
    with. Likely the machines got pulled out from somewhere fully operational
    due to upgrades or tax write offs.

    It's not like the intel stuff where it ends up there because some snot nosed
    12 year old was trying to overclock the motherboard with 120 volts.

    -bruce
    bje@ripco.com

  6. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    "Bruce Esquibel" wrote in message
    > Rob Fraser wrote:
    >
    > : Problem: My machine was in dire need of more RAM (512Mb) E250 2x400
    >
    > : New problem: I bought 1gb of RAM - one pair marked "0011" one module
    > marked
    > : "9824" one marked "9811" (4x256)
    >
    > You do realize those numbers are just date codes (eleventh week of 2000,
    > twentyforth week of 1998 and so forth)?
    >
    > Is about as helpful as saying two are light-green, other are dark green.
    >
    > Unless you bought table scraps, there should be a bar code or some other
    > id
    > number that starts with 501, etched or printed on the board (not on the
    > chips).
    >
    > One number for the 64mb is 501-2480 and the 128mb is 501-3136.
    >
    > It may be marked with a long number like 501248055967822, just take the
    > 501,
    > add a dash and the next four numbers, then punch it into google.
    >
    > One note of interest, I don't think the E250's were set up for 256mb
    > simms,
    > if I'm not mistaken, there are like 16 slots with a max of 2GB total.
    >
    > So you need 8 of the 128mb ones for 1GB (16 will give the max of 2gb).
    >
    > Or if your heart is set on 1gb, the 64mb's are usually a dime each these
    > days. 16 of those with shipping should well be under $10.00.
    >
    > -bruce
    > bje@ripco.com

    Looks like you are right gents! I thank you very much for the education. I
    got a private E-mail from a user of the group indicating the same and
    pointing out my error of the size limit. I'm getting smaller modules to
    populate the machine at the 2gb ceiling.

    Respects and thanks,

    Rob

  7. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    Bruce Esquibel wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    > : Buying from off ebay is one mistake. Memory is something that has to work 100%
    > : of the time in a computer. There's no excuse to screw around and save 50 cents
    > : on crap memory, ever.
    >

    > I kind of agree with you as a general statement but I also think Sun parts
    > and ebay isn't all that big of a risk, including ram.

    I have yet to see an "ebay VAR" with a decent return policy.

    That's the difference. If everything works, great, if not, you're going to
    waste lots of time getting it right.

    A real VAR (and not some consulting place that also resells stuff) is always
    good to have.

    I personally like "world data" in MN, for trading in piles of junk for
    otherwise expensive parts (bot only when you need to buy them).

    FWIW, if you need 2GB of 128MB dimms from a processor card from an 6800,
    which I believe is the same as in in e450 and e250 I have a set of those,
    that even have the price gouge enabling sun barcodes. I can dropoff in the
    Chicago loop, maybe you have something fun to trade.

  8. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    In article ,
    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > Bruce Esquibel wrote:
    > > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > >
    > > : Buying from off ebay is one mistake. Memory is something that has to work
    > > : 100%
    > > : of the time in a computer. There's no excuse to screw around and save 50
    > > : cents
    > > : on crap memory, ever.
    > >

    > > I kind of agree with you as a general statement but I also think Sun parts
    > > and ebay isn't all that big of a risk, including ram.

    > I have yet to see an "ebay VAR" with a decent return policy.
    >
    > That's the difference. If everything works, great, if not, you're going to
    > waste lots of time getting it right.
    >
    > A real VAR (and not some consulting place that also resells stuff) is always
    > good to have.
    >
    > I personally like "world data" in MN, for trading in piles of junk for
    > otherwise expensive parts (bot only when you need to buy them).
    >
    > FWIW, if you need 2GB of 128MB dimms from a processor card from an 6800,
    > which I believe is the same as in in e450 and e250 I have a set of those,
    > that even have the price gouge enabling sun barcodes. I can dropoff in the
    > Chicago loop, maybe you have something fun to trade.

    Sun Fire 6800 DIMMs will not work with an E250 system.

    Josh

  9. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    According to Rob Fraser :

    [ ... ]

    > When I worked
    > for a large bank with a huge budget this would indeed be my war-cry too.
    > but I'm looking to ensure I'm correct in my thinking that they need to be
    > installed in sets of four,

    According to my FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook), the SIMMs
    should be installed in banks of four, with a bank consisting of four
    slots in a row, starting from the point closest to the UPA slots for the
    framebuffers. There is a note stating:

    "Install the first four SIMMs in any Bank"

    so it does not really matter which you start with. The last bank ("Bank
    D") has two of the sockets offset towards the back edge of the system
    board. On the third page are these "Memory Notes":

    1) The minimum requirement is four DIMMs in any bank
    2) The recommended installation sequence is Bank A, B, C, D
    3) Each bank addresses 512 MB of memory

    This last seems to say that you can't install a bank with 1 GB
    between the four DIMMs -- or if you do, you will only see 512 MB of it.
    And IIRC from your earlier article, you were trying to get 1 GB in a
    single bank. (I may be mis-remembering).

    The FEH page for memory for the Enterprise 250 covers:

    501-2479 16 MB
    501-2480 64 MB
    501-2622 32 MB
    501-3136 128 MB
    501-5691 64 MB

    So -- with the 501-3136 (the largest listed) you can get a
    maximum of 512 MB per bank of four DIMMs -- or a total of 2GB with all
    four banks populated with these DIMMs.

    The last four of the five types listed are also listed for my
    Ultra-60 machines, and the system board looks quite similar as well,
    though it may have different board numbers. The E250 is 501-4681 or
    501-5440, while the Ultra-60 is 501-4450 or 501-5608, so there is only a
    partial overlap.

    > all the same in "lot numbers" I have one seller
    > sending me a set all marked 9099 and I just wanted to make sure I was
    > correct before I keep bugging vendors to try to make sure they know what
    > they are selling and being firm in my position. I just wanted an expert
    > opinion as I'm definitely not an expert. I'm just trying to isolate my
    > problem.

    Do you have 501-???? equivalent numbers -- or real 501-????
    numbers on the memory you are getting? It may simply be that you can't
    get more than 512 MB per bank of four. (I'll have to go back once I
    have sent this to see whether you were indeed trying to get 1GB in a
    single bank as I seem to remember.

    If this is the case -- the memory you are getting is probably
    good, but just not right for your system.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  10. Re: Head scratching memory problems E250

    Huge wrote:
    >> Cydrome Leader wrote:

    >>> I have yet to see an "ebay VAR" with a decent return policy.

    > Yes, but you're an idiot and a troll. And killfiled here as a result. I

    That's right, you pay $49 shipping on small things that fit in padded
    envelopes and have a no shipping refund policy, even on DOA stuff.

    Sounds awesome.

+ Reply to Thread