Sun Hardware question - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun Hardware question - SUN ; Hello all, Quick question I have and I'm hoping the answer can be found here... My dept. has a purchase line-item budget for Sun hardware and besides the Ultra 40 is there any machines that will effectively run Windows as ...

  1. Sun Hardware question

    Hello all,

    Quick question I have and I'm hoping the answer can be found here...
    My dept. has a purchase line-item budget for Sun hardware and besides
    the Ultra 40 is there any machines that will effectively run Windows as the
    base OS. I have had terrible results with the Sun PC PCI cards in Ultra 5's
    and 10's years ago. For budget reasons I need to use Sun hardware all the
    way. Could anyone please provide me with some ideas. To prove POC for the
    project I'm willing to buy end of life gear (EBay, etc) to get started.
    I know this is a odd question but I was a NT/Solaris admin years ago and
    I'm rusty as heck.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Rob Fraser

  2. Re: Sun Hardware question

    "Rob Fraser" wrote:

    > My dept. has a purchase line-item budget for Sun hardware and besides
    > the Ultra 40 is there any machines that will effectively run Windows as the
    > base OS.

    It is not clear what you are asking for. All Sun x86_64 machines are
    certified for Windows, as can be seen at:
    desktop:
    http://www.sun.com/desktop/index.jsp?tab=0&stab=1
    server:
    http://www.sun.com/servers/index.jsp...0Servers&tab=3

  3. Re: Sun Hardware question

    "Marc" wrote in message
    > "Rob Fraser" wrote:
    >
    >> My dept. has a purchase line-item budget for Sun hardware and besides
    >> the Ultra 40 is there any machines that will effectively run Windows as
    >> the
    >> base OS.

    > It is not clear what you are asking for. All Sun x86_64 machines are
    > certified for Windows, as can be seen at:
    > desktop:
    > http://www.sun.com/desktop/index.jsp?tab=0&stab=1
    > server:
    > http://www.sun.com/servers/index.jsp...0Servers&tab=3

    Thanks for the info Marc. Sorry my question is as clear as mud. I looked at
    it after I posted it and thought I goofed- I did.. The bottom line is I can
    buy Sun gear- No problems any other machines- i.e.: Dell, IBM, HP, Etc. is a
    nightmare to get through the red tape. If I keep it with Sun I get no grief
    from purchasing.

    Rob.

  4. Re: Sun Hardware question

    In article ,
    "Rob Fraser" wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Quick question I have and I'm hoping the answer can be found here...
    > My dept. has a purchase line-item budget for Sun hardware and besides
    > the Ultra 40 is there any machines that will effectively run Windows as the
    > base OS. I have had terrible results with the Sun PC PCI cards in Ultra 5's
    > and 10's years ago. For budget reasons I need to use Sun hardware all the
    > way. Could anyone please provide me with some ideas. To prove POC for the
    > project I'm willing to buy end of life gear (EBay, etc) to get started.
    > I know this is a odd question but I was a NT/Solaris admin years ago and
    > I'm rusty as heck.

    This should help:

    http://www.sun.com/software/windows/

    Josh

  5. Re: Sun Hardware question

    "Josh McKee" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Rob Fraser" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> Quick question I have and I'm hoping the answer can be found here...
    >> My dept. has a purchase line-item budget for Sun hardware and besides
    >> the Ultra 40 is there any machines that will effectively run Windows as
    >> the
    >> base OS. I have had terrible results with the Sun PC PCI cards in Ultra
    >> 5's
    >> and 10's years ago. For budget reasons I need to use Sun hardware all
    >> the
    >> way. Could anyone please provide me with some ideas. To prove POC for
    >> the
    >> project I'm willing to buy end of life gear (EBay, etc) to get started.
    >> I know this is a odd question but I was a NT/Solaris admin years ago
    >> and
    >> I'm rusty as heck.

    > This should help:
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/software/windows/
    >
    > Josh

    Many thanks Sir!

    Rob

  6. Re: Sun Hardware question

    Rob Fraser wrote:

    > "Marc" wrote in message
    >> "Rob Fraser" wrote:
    >>
    >>> My dept. has a purchase line-item budget for Sun hardware and besides
    >>> the Ultra 40 is there any machines that will effectively run Windows as
    >>> the
    >>> base OS.

    >> It is not clear what you are asking for. All Sun x86_64 machines are
    >> certified for Windows, as can be seen at:
    >> desktop:
    >> http://www.sun.com/desktop/index.jsp?tab=0&stab=1
    >> server:
    >> http://www.sun.com/servers/index.jsp...0Servers&tab=3

    > Thanks for the info Marc. Sorry my question is as clear as mud. I looked at
    > it after I posted it and thought I goofed- I did.. The bottom line is I can
    > buy Sun gear- No problems any other machines- i.e.: Dell, IBM, HP, Etc. is a
    > nightmare to get through the red tape. If I keep it with Sun I get no grief
    > from purchasing.

    Tell purchasing to just pocket the difference in prices if you get HP
    workstations for windows stuff, plus you won't end up with 1989 sized
    desktops. Apparently sun forgot about something called a "network", and an
    Ultra 40 with 8 sata disk slots standard is just proof they're seriously
    confused about what a workstation is.

+ Reply to Thread