Increasing memory granted to user - SUN

This is a discussion on Increasing memory granted to user - SUN ; Hi.. I'm trying to increase the memory allocated / granted to an oracle user (for an Oracle DB) I have 24 GB of memory on this box, and on my box running Solaris 10, my /etc/project file looks like the ...

  1. Increasing memory granted to user

    Hi.. I'm trying to increase the memory allocated / granted to an
    oracle user (for an Oracle DB)

    I have 24 GB of memory on this box, and on my box running Solaris 10,
    my /etc/project file looks like the following

    # more /etc/project
    system:0::::
    user.root:1::::
    noproject:2::::
    default:3:::roject.max-sem-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-sem-
    nsems=(priv,512
    ,deny);project.max-shm-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-shm-
    memory=(privileged,25
    769803776,deny)
    group.staff:10::::

    In the above example, how much memory is granted to a non-root user,
    (like an oracle user) ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Increasing memory granted to user

    On Nov 5, 6:51 am, groups.u...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi.. I'm trying to increase the memory allocated / granted to an
    > oracle user (for an Oracle DB)
    > I have 24 GB of memory on this box, and on my box running Solaris 10,
    > my /etc/project file looks like the following
    > # more /etc/project
    > system:0::::
    > user.root:1::::
    > noproject:2::::
    >default:3:::roject.max-sem-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-sem-nsems=(priv,512,deny);project.max-shm-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-shm-memory=(privileged,25769803776,deny)
    > group.staff:10::::
    >
    > In the above example, how much memory is granted to a non-root user,
    > (like an oracle user) ?

    What do you mean by memory exactly? max-locked-memory? Theres all
    kinds.
    man prctl. Its all in there.

  3. Re: Increasing memory granted to user

    On Nov 5, 10:58 am, gerryt wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 6:51 am, groups.u...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi.. I'm trying to increase the memory allocated / granted to an
    > > oracle user (for an Oracle DB)
    > > I have 24 GB of memory on this box, and on my box running Solaris 10,
    > > my /etc/project file looks like the following
    > > # more /etc/project
    > > system:0::::
    > > user.root:1::::
    > > noproject:2::::
    > >default:3:::roject.max-sem-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-sem-nsems=(pr*iv,512,deny);project.max-shm-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-shm-memory=(pr*ivileged,25769803776,deny)
    > > group.staff:10::::

    > > In the above example, how much memory is granted to a non-root user,
    > > (like an oracle user) ?

    > What do you mean by memory exactly? max-locked-memory? Theres all
    > kinds.
    > man prctl. Its all in there.

    Well, I get an out of memory message when I try to open an Oracle DB
    (with 10GB of SGA), and the 1st thing I would have done in a pre-
    Solaris 10 environment is look at the /etc/system file, but in
    Solaris10, one has to use the /etc/project file (Or can the /etc/
    system still be used ? )

    >From what I can see, the /etc/project file shows that there is 24 GB

    available to an default user, but am not sure the Oracle DB is able to
    take advantage of that.

    Thanks

  4. Re: Increasing memory granted to user

    On Nov 5, 10:46 am, groups.u...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 10:58 am, gerryt wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 5, 6:51 am, groups.u...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > Hi.. I'm trying to increase the memory allocated / granted to an
    > > > oracle user (for an Oracle DB)
    > > > I have 24 GB of memory on this box, and on my box running Solaris 10,
    > > > my /etc/project file looks like the following
    > > > # more /etc/project
    > > > system:0::::
    > > > user.root:1::::
    > > > noproject:2::::
    > > >default:3:::roject.max-sem-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-sem-nsems=(pr*iv,512,deny);project.max-shm-ids=(priv,200,deny);project.max-shm-memory=(pr*ivileged,25769803776,deny)
    > > > group.staff:10::::

    > > > In the above example, how much memory is granted to a non-root user,
    > > > (like an oracle user) ?

    > > What do you mean by memory exactly? max-locked-memory? Theres all
    > > kinds.
    > > man prctl. Its all in there.

    > Well, I get an out of memory message when I try to open an Oracle DB
    > (with 10GB of SGA), and the 1st thing I would have done in a pre-
    > Solaris 10 environment is look at the /etc/system file, but in
    > Solaris10, one has to use the /etc/project file (Or can the /etc/
    > system still be used ? )

    I ignore /etc/system as a matter of principle in Solaris 10!
    For Oracle use prctl/projmod

    > >From what I can see, the /etc/project file shows that there is 24 GB

    Thats what it says. That seems excessive though. I have found little
    happens above 50% of physical RAM.
    Anyway as I said there are many kinds of memory. You tweak 3 of them
    There are:
    project.max-device-locked-memory
    project.max-locked-memory
    project.max-shm-memory
    project.max-crypto-memory
    zone.max-locked-memory
    zone.max-shm-memory
    related:
    project.max-shm-ids
    project.max-msg-ids
    project.max-sem-ids
    zone.max-shm-ids
    zone.max-sem-ids
    zone.max-msg-ids

    and ulimits too

    > available to an default user, but am not sure the Oracle DB is able to
    > take advantage of that.

    Something else is to blame most likely. You should try posting to comp
    databases oracle server
    with version of Oracle and exact error messages. Its a grumpy group
    with little patience for "we have to guess everything for you"
    posters.
    They also dont really know Solaris well but Oracle yes.

+ Reply to Thread