Converting Enterprise 220r into an Enterprise 420r - SUN

This is a discussion on Converting Enterprise 220r into an Enterprise 420r - SUN ; I recently bought an Enterprise 420r off ebay from a seller with a very high rating, only to find out when I received it that it was actually an Enterprise 220r. I let the seller know of the mistake, and ...

  1. Converting Enterprise 220r into an Enterprise 420r

    I recently bought an Enterprise 420r off ebay from a seller with a very high
    rating, only to find out when I received it that it was actually an
    Enterprise 220r. I let the seller know of the mistake, and got a partial
    refund, but now I'm wondering if it would be possible to turn the 220r into
    a 420r.

    From what I can tell, the only significant difference between the 220r and
    the 420r are the differing motherboards. Could I just replace the unit's
    Ultra 60 motherboard with an Ultra 80? How hard would this be to do? Sun
    hardware is very alien to me, which is the whole reason why I bought a(n old
    and cheap) unit to play with. Along with using it to learn about sparc
    architecture, I also have a few real jobs I want to eventually use it for,
    and the more capable 420r hardware would definitely be helpful. I would
    really appreciate any info you might have.

  2. Re: Converting Enterprise 220r into an Enterprise 420r

    Matthew Crisanti wrote:
    > I recently bought an Enterprise 420r off ebay from a seller with a very high
    > rating, only to find out when I received it that it was actually an
    > Enterprise 220r. I let the seller know of the mistake, and got a partial
    > refund, but now I'm wondering if it would be possible to turn the 220r into
    > a 420r.
    >
    > From what I can tell, the only significant difference between the 220r and
    > the 420r are the differing motherboards. Could I just replace the unit's
    > Ultra 60 motherboard with an Ultra 80? How hard would this be to do? Sun
    > hardware is very alien to me, which is the whole reason why I bought a(n old
    > and cheap) unit to play with. Along with using it to learn about sparc
    > architecture, I also have a few real jobs I want to eventually use it for,
    > and the more capable 420r hardware would definitely be helpful. I would
    > really appreciate any info you might have.

    I have never seen either of these server machines, but I own an Ultra 80
    and a couple of Ultra 60s. From what I can see of them, there is no way
    you are going to be able to fit an Ultra 80 motherboard in a machine
    designed for an Ultra 60 motherboard.

    For a start, the memory for an Ultra 60 sits on the motherboard. On the
    Ultra 80, there is a large card which plugs into the motherboard. The
    case will need the support structure for that. The case for a U60 is
    much larger than that for a U60.

    I would personally forget that idea.

  3. Re: Converting Enterprise 220r into an Enterprise 420r

    Dave wrote:
    > Matthew Crisanti wrote:
    >> I recently bought an Enterprise 420r off ebay from a seller with a very high
    >> rating, only to find out when I received it that it was actually an
    >> Enterprise 220r. I let the seller know of the mistake, and got a partial
    >> refund, but now I'm wondering if it would be possible to turn the 220r into
    >> a 420r.
    >>
    >> From what I can tell, the only significant difference between the 220r and
    >> the 420r are the differing motherboards. Could I just replace the unit's
    >> Ultra 60 motherboard with an Ultra 80? How hard would this be to do? Sun
    >> hardware is very alien to me, which is the whole reason why I bought a(n old
    >> and cheap) unit to play with. Along with using it to learn about sparc
    >> architecture, I also have a few real jobs I want to eventually use it for,
    >> and the more capable 420r hardware would definitely be helpful. I would
    >> really appreciate any info you might have.
    >>

    > I have never seen either of these server machines, but I own an Ultra 80
    > and a couple of Ultra 60s. From what I can see of them, there is no way
    > you are going to be able to fit an Ultra 80 motherboard in a machine
    > designed for an Ultra 60 motherboard.
    >

    > For a start, the memory for an Ultra 60 sits on the motherboard. On the
    > Ultra 80, there is a large card which plugs into the motherboard. The
    > case will need the support structure for that. The case for a U60 is
    > much larger than that for a U60.
    >
    > I would personally forget that idea.

    220s and 420s look the same from the outside.

    either way, it sounds like you may have been shafted. send that **** back.

  4. Re: Converting Enterprise 220r into an Enterprise 420r

    The cases look the same size and go on the same rails.
    Even the power supplies are the same.
    However, if you look at the cutouts in the back of thr chassis for things
    like the serial ports and ethernet it is not identical.
    Even the cutout for the keyboard connector is in a different position.

    It is doubtful if not impossible that you will fit an Ultra 80 motherboard
    in an E220R chassis.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread