GeForce II MX100/200 question - SUN

This is a discussion on GeForce II MX100/200 question - SUN ; I recently installed S10 (6/06) on my old PIII. My card is a GeForce II MX100/200, running a CMV1515 LCD screen, which is extremely fussy about its refresh rates. After initially using Xorg as xserver, I couldn't get away from ...

  1. GeForce II MX100/200 question

    I recently installed S10 (6/06) on my old PIII. My card is a
    GeForce II MX100/200, running a CMV1515 LCD screen, which is extremely
    fussy about its refresh rates. After initially using Xorg as xserver,
    I couldn't get away from the default 640x480. I changed to Xsun, and
    from its options quickly managed to jump to 800x600, initially at 256
    colors. I eventually got to 800x600x16-bit color, but there I'm stuck.
    After much searching I still cannot make hide nor hair of the
    posts I've found suggesting how to get my resolution up to 1024x768.
    No matter WHAT I try in Xsun, including the lines which clearly state
    that 1024x768 is selected, I still only get 800x600.
    Firstly, where is Xsun's config file?? I though it had something
    to do with /etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig, but apart from a
    commented-out 'example' list at the top of the file that file seems to
    contain nothing to do with resolution or color depth. Am I supposed
    to uncomment those lines? Are those lines part of an example, or are
    the settings behind the #'s the *actual* examples and does
    uncommenting them then make them part of the active server's options?
    This is unclear.
    I've mucked about with xorg so much I'm not sure where I am -
    serves me right for not remembering to save it beforehand. Can I use
    settings from my Slackware linux xorg.conf file, which works just
    dandy, or is that only because Slackware has the correct driver
    running? Xsun includes several lines relating to my card, but does
    that actually imply I have the proper driver installed, or are they
    misleading and would be there anyway? Is there a S10-specific driver
    for that card, and does anyone know where I can get it if in fact I
    already don't? Also, does missing my /etc/resolv.conf make any sort
    of difference?
    Thanks!

  2. Re: GeForce II MX100/200 question

    In article , diespammers@nowhere.net.au wrote:
    > I recently installed S10 (6/06) on my old PIII. My card is a
    >GeForce II MX100/200, running a CMV1515 LCD screen, which is extremely
    >fussy about its refresh rates. After initially using Xorg as xserver,
    >I couldn't get away from the default 640x480. I changed to Xsun, and
    >from its options quickly managed to jump to 800x600, initially at 256
    >colors. I eventually got to 800x600x16-bit color, but there I'm stuck.
    > After much searching I still cannot make hide nor hair of the
    >posts I've found suggesting how to get my resolution up to 1024x768.
    >No matter WHAT I try in Xsun, including the lines which clearly state
    >that 1024x768 is selected, I still only get 800x600.
    > Firstly, where is Xsun's config file?? I though it had something
    >to do with /etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig, but apart from a

    There are two files.
    The other one is: /usr/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig

    The /etc one you are looking at contains only pointers to where
    the drivers are located, and these are added when those packages
    are installed. So the drivers are probably OK. Xsun would also
    fail to start if the drivers were really messed up.

    The /usr one conatains the options. These are setup by a card
    specific command line config program (like ffbconfig, for a ffb card).
    You shouldn't edit this file, but it might help to watch it
    as you change options.
    (if you decide to change either of these anyway, be sure a copy,
    preferaby in a different directory. And be very careful with semicolons,
    which terminate sections, not whitespace or lines, or very bad things happen)

    try these option for your config program, if they are available:
    -propt
    -prconf
    -res \? (the \ is required for most shells)
    There may also be a force type option when you are
    setting the res, that avoids some validation.

    >commented-out 'example' list at the top of the file that file seems to
    >contain nothing to do with resolution or color depth. Am I supposed
    >to uncomment those lines? Are those lines part of an example, or are
    >the settings behind the #'s the *actual* examples and does
    >uncommenting them then make them part of the active server's options?
    >This is unclear.
    > I've mucked about with xorg so much I'm not sure where I am -
    >serves me right for not remembering to save it beforehand. Can I use
    >settings from my Slackware linux xorg.conf file, which works just

    The xorg server does things more like Linux/XF86/Xorg does,
    so you can probably reuse a lot of it.

    >dandy, or is that only because Slackware has the correct driver
    >running? Xsun includes several lines relating to my card, but does
    >that actually imply I have the proper driver installed, or are they
    >misleading and would be there anyway? Is there a S10-specific driver
    >for that card, and does anyone know where I can get it if in fact I
    >already don't? Also, does missing my /etc/resolv.conf make any sort
    >of difference?
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: GeForce II MX100/200 question...solved

    Problem solved
    Installed nVidia 96.43.01 drivers, and added refresh rates to
    xorg.conf file as follows...presto!

    # ************************************************** *****
    # Sample xorg.conf file
    # ************************************************** *****

    Identifier "X.org Configured"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11/lib/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/sun/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "IA"
    Load "Xst"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "record"
    Load "xtrap"
    # Load "glx"
    Load "bitstream"
    Load "type1"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    EndSection

    # ************************************************** *****
    # Monitor Section
    # ************************************************** *****

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor Model"
    HorizSync 28 - 65
    VertRefresh 56 - 78

    EndSection

    # ************************************************** *****
    # Graphis Device Section
    # ************************************************** *****

    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False",
    ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option "SWcursor" # []
    #Option "HWcursor" # []
    #Option "NoAccel" # []
    #Option "ShadowFB" # []
    #Option "UseFBDev" # []
    #Option "Rotate" # []
    #Option "VideoKey" #
    #Option "FlatPanel" # []
    #Option "FPDither" # []
    #Option "CrtcNumber" #
    #Option "FPScale" # []
    #Option "FPTweak" #
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "NV11DDR [GeForce2 MX 100 DDR/200 DDR]"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

    # ************************************************** *****
    # Screen Section