I sent this to just comp.sys.sun.hardware a few mins ago. Ignore that -
it was not tee most appropriate place.

I received today a couple of 147 GB FC-AL disks that I want to put in my
Blade 2000 and replace the 73 GB disks. One disk was no problem, but the
boot disk is presenting me problem. All I basically want to do is remove
the old 75 GB boot disk, copy the data to a 147 GB disk and boot from that.

The machine originally booted from a 19 GB partition on the 73 GB disk,
with a 40 GB partition on the disk too:

Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 19G 7.1G 12G 38% /
/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s3 40G 18G 22G 46% /usr/local

1) Put the new disk into the machine at SCSI ID=2 (upper slot)
2) Run format and labled the disk
3) Partitioned the disk similar to above, with a 19 GB rook partition, 8
GB of swap and the remainder (about 105 GB or so) as /usr/local

3) Made file systems
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s3

3) Mounted the new file system /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0 on the mount point /mnt.

# mount /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0 /mnt

4) Copied the root file system from the old disk to the new one

# ufsdump 0f - / | ( cd /mnt ;ufsrestore xf - )

5) Installed the boot block
installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0

6)shut down

7) Moved the new 147 GB disk which was in SCSI ID 2, into 1 - obviously
removing the old boot disk first!!!!.

Since the machine booted from SCSI ID 1 before, I assumed it would boot
from this new larger disk,

8) When I switch on, instead of booting it prints

"The file just loaded does not appear to be executable"

I then came to the conclusion it was not attempting to read from the
disk at all.

9) Typing at the ok promt

ok> boot disk

causes it to try to boot. It never actually succeeds to give a login
prompt, but it knows the host name, says networking is up etc.

I suspect boot -r may have been better than a normal boot here. Perhaps
that is my problem.

Looking in the EEPROM I see:

boot-device=/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w21000004cfa13aed,0:a
/pci@8,60

I think that is a very specific boot device - possiblly specific to the
original disk? Clearly it has some information which looks like serial
number or similar - far more than the controller, scsi id and partition.
I assume I am supposed to reset boot-device - is that correct? If so,
what do I set it to?

Anything I have forgotten, which may have caused this to
a) Not find the disk at all unless I tell it to 'boot disk'
b) Fail to boot properly, even though it does try, so clearly has found
the boot block.

I suspect I made two mistakes

1) Did not reset EEPROM, but dont know how to
2) Did not do a reconfigure boot.

Is there anything else I have overlooked, before I have another go at this?