Copying disk - what am I doing wrong? - SUN

This is a discussion on Copying disk - what am I doing wrong? - SUN ; I received today a couple of 147 GB FC-AL disks that I want to put in my Blade 2000 and replace the 73 GB disks. One disk was no problem, but the boot disk is presenting me problem. All I ...

  1. Copying disk - what am I doing wrong?

    I received today a couple of 147 GB FC-AL disks that I want to put in my
    Blade 2000 and replace the 73 GB disks. One disk was no problem, but the
    boot disk is presenting me problem. All I basically want to do is remove
    the old 75 GB boot disk, copy the data to a 147 GB disk and boot from that.

    The machine originally booted from a 19 GB partition on the 73 GB disk,
    with a 40 GB partition on the disk too:

    Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on
    /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 19G 7.1G 12G 38% /
    /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s3 40G 18G 22G 46% /usr/local

    1) Put the new disk into the machine at SCSI ID=2 (upper slot)
    2) Run format and labled the disk
    3) Partitioned the disk similar to above, with a 19 GB rook partition, 8
    GB of swap and the remainder (about 105 GB or so) as /usr/local

    3) Made file systems
    # newfs /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0
    # newfs /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s3

    3) Mounted the new file system /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0 on the mount point /mnt.

    # mount /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0 /mnt

    4) Copied the root file system from the old disk to the new one

    # ufsdump 0f - / | ( cd /mnt ;ufsrestore xf - )

    5) Installed the boot block
    installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0

    6)shut down

    7) Moved the new 147 GB disk which was in SCSI ID 2, into 1 - obviously
    removing the old boot disk first!!!!.

    Since the machine booted from SCSI ID 1 before, I assumed it would boot
    from this new larger disk,

    8) When I switch on, instead of booting it prints

    "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable"

    I then came to the conclusion it was not attempting to read from the
    disk at all.

    9) Typing at the ok promt

    ok> boot disk

    causes it to try to boot. It never actually succeeds to give a login
    prompt, but it knows the host name, says networking is up etc.

    I suspect boot -r may have been better than a normal boot here. Perhaps
    that is my problem.

    Looking in the EEPROM I see:

    boot-device=/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w21000004cfa13aed,0:a
    /pci@8,60

    I think that is a very specific boot device - possiblly specific to the
    original disk? Clearly it has some information which looks like serial
    number or similar - far more than the controller, scsi id and partition.
    I assume I am supposed to reset boot-device - is that correct? If so,
    what do I set it to?

    Anything I have forgotten, which may have caused this to
    a) Not find the disk at all unless I tell it to 'boot disk'
    b) Fail to boot properly, even though it does try, so clearly has found
    the boot block.

    I suspect I made two mistakes

    1) Did not reset EEPROM, but dont know how to
    2) Did not do a reconfigure boot.

    Is there anything else I have overlooked, before I have another go at this?

  2. Re: Copying disk - what am I doing wrong?

    Dave wrote:
    > I received today a couple of 147 GB FC-AL disks that I want to put in my

    I did not really intend sending this to comp.sys.sun.hardware - pleeae
    reply on comp.unix.solaris or comp.sys.sun.admin as I am going to repost.

  3. Re: Copying disk - what am I doing wrong?

    On 20 Oct, 00:04, Dave wrote:
    > I received today a couple of 147 GB FC-AL disks that I want to put in my
    > Blade 2000 and replace the 73 GB disks. One disk was no problem, but the

    On several posts you may find that this isn't possible as an answer.
    But although complicated it can be done, please have look at this page
    for help:

    http://www.ezplanetone.com/xwiki/bin.../CloneBootDisk

+ Reply to Thread