Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt? - SUN

This is a discussion on Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt? - SUN ; I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB keyboard? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I
    know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to
    the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB keyboard?

    Does anyone know the difference between the keyboards from different
    countries (US, UK, France etc)? Are there DIP switches inside which
    makes the keys produce a different character? Or some other way?

    Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    don't want to shut the machine down.

  2. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    US keyboards usually lacks disp-switches. Other country specific
    keyboards usually have switches.

    The type-6 USB keyboards have a small latch on the vertical surface
    right above the Num Lock LED. My US unix keyboard have no switches
    under the cover, while the swedish keyboards do have switches there.

  3. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    US keyboards usually lacks disp-switches. Other country specific
    keyboards usually have switches.

    The type-6 USB keyboards have a small latch on the vertical surface
    right above the Num Lock LED. My US unix keyboard have no switches
    under the cover, while the swedish keyboards do have switches there.

  4. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Thomas Tornblom wrote:
    > US keyboards usually lacks disp-switches. Other country specific
    > keyboards usually have switches.
    >
    > The type-6 USB keyboards have a small latch on the vertical surface
    > right above the Num Lock LED. My US unix keyboard have no switches
    > under the cover, while the swedish keyboards do have switches there.

    Yes, I can see a small 'trap door' there, where is looks switches could
    be placed. I don't have any there.

  5. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Thomas Tornblom wrote:
    > US keyboards usually lacks disp-switches. Other country specific
    > keyboards usually have switches.
    >
    > The type-6 USB keyboards have a small latch on the vertical surface
    > right above the Num Lock LED. My US unix keyboard have no switches
    > under the cover, while the swedish keyboards do have switches there.

    Yes, I can see a small 'trap door' there, where is looks switches could
    be placed. I don't have any there.

  6. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:39:36 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    > ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    > sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    > don't want to shut the machine down.

    Perhaps:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806...dq6q2n7?a=view

  7. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Dave wrote:
    > I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I
    > know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to
    > the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB keyboard?
    >
    > Does anyone know the difference between the keyboards from different
    > countries (US, UK, France etc)? Are there DIP switches inside which
    > makes the keys produce a different character? Or some other way?
    >
    > Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    > ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    > sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    > don't want to shut the machine down.

    # kbd -a alternate or kbd -a disable
    will change keyboard + sequence to <~>+
    or disable it
    and you can change keyboard safely.
    if you want you can do # kbd -a enable after the change.
    /Jorgen

  8. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:55:29 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:39:36 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    >>> ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the
    >>> pound sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and
    >>> check, but I don't want to shut the machine down.

    >> Perhaps:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806...dq6q2n7?a=view

    > Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what is or is not possible. 'dumpkeys' and
    > 'loadkeys' would appear to dump the translation:

    If you're just trying to generate the pounds sterling (£) character you
    should be able to do it readily with the US keyboard: Compose, l, -. In
    fact I just generated that one on a US PeeCee keyboard with the right
    "windows" key remapped.

  9. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > If you're just trying to generate the pounds sterling (£) character you
    > should be able to do it readily with the US keyboard: Compose, l, -. In
    > fact I just generated that one on a US PeeCee keyboard with the right
    > "windows" key remapped.

    How do you enter the Compose, l, - ??

    If I do that, I just see '1-'. Also, is 'l' the lower case version of
    'L', or is in the number one?

    If its possible to get the pound sign in less keystrokes, I would like
    to. It is a character I use quite a bit.

    I'd also like to disable that key between the Help and F1, which I have
    found no use for, but just an irritation.

  10. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    In comp.unix.solaris Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > # kbd -a alternate or kbd -a disable
    > will change keyboard + sequence to <~>+
    > or disable it
    > and you can change keyboard safely.
    > if you want you can do # kbd -a enable after the change.

    You can disable a keyboard abort, but not modify the key sequence. The
    'alternate' setting only affects serial console.

    --
    Darren Dunham
    ddunham@taos.com

  11. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Dave writes:
    > I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I
    > know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to
    > the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB

    Doesn't happen on mine- we have to pull the keyboard cable from time to
    time to keep the daughter from wrecking whatever happens to be open when
    she gets hold of the keyboard. Keyboard resumes working without issues
    when its plugged back in.

    Gregm

  12. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Dave writes:
    > I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I
    > know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to
    > the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB

    Doesn't happen on mine- we have to pull the keyboard cable from time to
    time to keep the daughter from wrecking whatever happens to be open when
    she gets hold of the keyboard. Keyboard resumes working without issues
    when its plugged back in.

    Gregm

  13. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:28:19 +0100, Dave wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> If you're just trying to generate the pounds sterling (£) character you
    >> should be able to do it readily with the US keyboard: Compose, l, -.
    >> In fact I just generated that one on a US PeeCee keyboard with the
    >> right "windows" key remapped.

    > How do you enter the Compose, l, - ??

    Just that, 1. Compose, 2. l, 3. -

    > If I do that, I just see '1-'. Also, is 'l' the lower case version of
    > 'L', or is in the number one?

    Then you probably have a dirty keyboard or have remapped so many keys
    that nothing is predictable. Does the indicator on the Compose Key
    illuminate when the key is pressed? My Type 5C connected to an Ultra 60
    is misbehaving too. Compose, l, - produces a hash (#), but only in a
    dtterm. It works OK in dtpad and vi.

    Execute /usr/openwin/demo/xev, place the mouse cursor in the small window
    and press the Compose key. You should see (keysym 0xff20, Multi_key) if
    the Compose key is working.

    The map whose URL I referenced earlier indicates using the lower case l.
    Using upper case L involves yet an additional keypress - Shift. Why make
    life more complicated?

    > If its possible to get the pound sign in less keystrokes, I would like
    > to. It is a character I use quite a bit.

    Once you get used to it, you really don't notice the extra keystrokes. I
    correspond regularly with a fellow from Spain and have to use á, ó and é
    often.

    > I'd also like to disable that key between the Help and F1, which I have
    > found no use for, but just an irritation.

    That's your "Any" key, for when the screen instructions tell you to hit
    any key to proceed.

  14. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On Oct 16, 5:28 pm, Dave wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    > > If you're just trying to generate the pounds sterling () character you
    > > should be able to do it readily with the US keyboard: Compose, l, -. In
    > > fact I just generated that one on a US PeeCee keyboard with the right
    > > "windows" key remapped.

    > How do you enter the Compose, l, - ??
    > If I do that, I just see '1-'. Also, is 'l' the lower case version of
    > 'L', or is in the number one?

    Its like ascii art in a way - but it really should have been a capital
    L :
    Compose ell dash
    anyway I too got a dash. Hmm maybe I dont have enough LANG
    types installed.... Nope it was my shell - I normally use bash and it
    dumps a simple "-" character. ECS v Compose l - gets me an octal
    number : >
    exec ksh produces the "quid' sign in an xterm and dtterm.

    > If its possible to get the pound sign in less keystrokes, I would like
    > to. It is a character I use quite a bit.

    Well I bought a new keyboard from Sun last year for the equivalent of
    20 pounds...

    > I'd also like to disable that key between the Help and F1, which I have
    > found no use for, but just an irritation.

  15. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    According to Greg Menke :

    > Dave writes:
    > > I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I
    > > know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to
    > > the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB

    > Doesn't happen on mine- we have to pull the keyboard cable from time to
    > time to keep the daughter from wrecking whatever happens to be open when
    > she gets hold of the keyboard. Keyboard resumes working without issues
    > when its plugged back in.

    And -- I believe that you can plug in a separate keyboard to
    another USB socket (you're only using two out of the four for the
    keyboard and the mouse/trackball already), so you can probably add a
    keyboard with the needed characterset and remove the one which you are
    currently using once the new one is verified as recognized and working.

    (Yes -- a Logitech trackball will work nicely as a three-button
    mouse on at least an Ultra-60 with a USB card, and it even adds a scroll
    wheel which some software will honor.

    And -- in the meanwhile, you should be able to type a sequence
    of {compose-key} followed by two others (such as "compose-e-'" to
    produce "". I just don't know the proper key sequence for accessing
    the Pound sign.

    Also -- the following were typed using the '<>' (diamond) key as
    a shift key, and stepping through the number and letter keys. (My
    apologies to anyone whose system I confuse with these characters, which
    are part of the extended ASCII set instead of the original 7-bit ASCII.

    *

    And the following were typed with both the diamond key and the [SHIFT]
    key depressed

    ަ߫

    ̺

    So -- you can get your UK Pound symbol by holding the diamond
    and the shift keys while typing '#' (which is often called "pound" here
    in the USA, because it is used in combination with a number to indicate
    capacity in pounds, such as a "3# bag" is a paper bag to hold 3 pounds
    of some substance.

    Awkward, but it works -- sometimes. For example, it works for
    me in an xterm, but *not* in a dtterm. You'll have to experiment to see
    what works for you.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  16. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    According to Greg Menke :