Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On 2007-10-16, Dave wrote:

    > Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    > ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    > sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    > don't want to shut the machine down.

    I guess you've already had the answer to this, but a couple of other points;

    - I have a UK keyboard on my SB2000, which has a GBP sign above the '3'. And the
    little door behind & below the 'Num Lock' has a set of dip switches behind it.
    they are set to; 10001. The KB is labelled "Type 6 USB".

    - The pound sign is not well supported. For example, I'm composing this posting
    in nedit, which works fine - here's a GBP sign;

    But in other places, other things happen;

    Gnome terminal - question mark.
    xterm - hash sign (aka "octothorpe")
    gedit - I get the error "** (gedit:2308): WARNING **: Error converting text from
    IM to UTF-8: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input"
    StarOffice 7 - GBP sign (I haven't tried Open Office yet)

    The "Compose" hacks offered by several other people don't work well, either. I
    have essentially given up trying to get a general solution for a GBP sign.

    --
    "A computer is a nerd-designed machine for screwdriver addicts."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  2. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On 2007-10-16, Dave wrote:

    > Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    > ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    > sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    > don't want to shut the machine down.

    I guess you've already had the answer to this, but a couple of other points;

    - I have a UK keyboard on my SB2000, which has a GBP sign above the '3'. And the
    little door behind & below the 'Num Lock' has a set of dip switches behind it.
    they are set to; 10001. The KB is labelled "Type 6 USB".

    - The pound sign is not well supported. For example, I'm composing this posting
    in nedit, which works fine - here's a GBP sign;

    But in other places, other things happen;

    Gnome terminal - question mark.
    xterm - hash sign (aka "octothorpe")
    gedit - I get the error "** (gedit:2308): WARNING **: Error converting text from
    IM to UTF-8: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input"
    StarOffice 7 - GBP sign (I haven't tried Open Office yet)

    The "Compose" hacks offered by several other people don't work well, either. I
    have essentially given up trying to get a general solution for a GBP sign.

    --
    "A computer is a nerd-designed machine for screwdriver addicts."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  3. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On 2007-10-17, Dave wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >> On 2007-10-16, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    >>> ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    >>> sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    >>> don't want to shut the machine down.

    >> I guess you've already had the answer to this, but a couple of other points;
    >>
    >> - I have a UK keyboard on my SB2000, which has a GBP sign above the '3'. And the
    >> little door behind & below the 'Num Lock' has a set of dip switches behind it.
    >> they are set to; 10001. The KB is labelled "Type 6 USB".

    > Is that 10001 going left to right, top to bottom, or what?

    *grin*

    It doesn't make any difference. There are 5 switches, and they're set;

    OFF ON ON ON OFF

    (Sorry, I got it bass-ackwards.)

    --
    "A computer is a nerd-designed machine for screwdriver addicts."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  4. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On 2007-10-17, Dave wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >> On 2007-10-16, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    >>> ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    >>> sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    >>> don't want to shut the machine down.

    >> I guess you've already had the answer to this, but a couple of other points;
    >>
    >> - I have a UK keyboard on my SB2000, which has a GBP sign above the '3'. And the
    >> little door behind & below the 'Num Lock' has a set of dip switches behind it.
    >> they are set to; 10001. The KB is labelled "Type 6 USB".

    > Is that 10001 going left to right, top to bottom, or what?

    *grin*

    It doesn't make any difference. There are 5 switches, and they're set;

    OFF ON ON ON OFF

    (Sorry, I got it bass-ackwards.)

    --
    "A computer is a nerd-designed machine for screwdriver addicts."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  5. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2007-10-17, Dave wrote:
    >> Huge wrote:

    >>> I guess you've already had the answer to this, but a couple of other points;
    >>>
    >>> - I have a UK keyboard on my SB2000, which has a GBP sign above the '3'. And the
    >>> little door behind & below the 'Num Lock' has a set of dip switches behind it.
    >>> they are set to; 10001. The KB is labelled "Type 6 USB".

    >> Is that 10001 going left to right, top to bottom, or what?

    > *grin*
    >
    > It doesn't make any difference. There are 5 switches, and they're set;

    I realised that later!!!!

    > OFF ON ON ON OFF
    >
    > (Sorry, I got it bass-ackwards.)

    I suspected you might have done.

    I got the soldering iron out, and joined the first and last. It has
    swapped some keys around, but still i get a #. I am going to take it
    apart again and have another try, this time joining the 3 centre ones,
    not the 2 outer ones.

    Watch this space ...

  6. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2007-10-17, Dave wrote:
    >> Huge wrote:

    >>> I guess you've already had the answer to this, but a couple of other points;
    >>>
    >>> - I have a UK keyboard on my SB2000, which has a GBP sign above the '3'. And the
    >>> little door behind & below the 'Num Lock' has a set of dip switches behind it.
    >>> they are set to; 10001. The KB is labelled "Type 6 USB".

    >> Is that 10001 going left to right, top to bottom, or what?

    > *grin*
    >
    > It doesn't make any difference. There are 5 switches, and they're set;

    I realised that later!!!!

    > OFF ON ON ON OFF
    >
    > (Sorry, I got it bass-ackwards.)

    I suspected you might have done.

    I got the soldering iron out, and joined the first and last. It has
    swapped some keys around, but still i get a #. I am going to take it
    apart again and have another try, this time joining the 3 centre ones,
    not the 2 outer ones.

    Watch this space ...

  7. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Dave wrote:
    \
    > I got the soldering iron out, and joined the first and last. It has
    > swapped some keys around, but still i get a #. I am going to take it
    > apart again and have another try, this time joining the 3 centre ones,
    > not the 2 outer ones.
    >
    > Watch this space ...

    I've now swapped changed the solder bridges on the board, but not
    entirely successfully.

    1) It got rid of the annoying 'ANY' key, which is now an Esc key.
    2) No UK pound key
    3) The backspace key no longer works as a backspace, but instead prints
    '\' or, if the shift key is down, it prints '|'. Since the backspace and
    the \ keys are of different sizes, it is not as simple as just moving
    the key caps.

    A few other keys have moved around. Having some old keyboards around, I
    can move the key caps so things look right, but it seems the UK and US
    keyboards have different layouts of keys, so it is not as simple as just
    bridging the connections.

    Not to worry. If the Sun dealer gets off his **** and sends me a quote,
    I will buy a new type 7 country kit.

  8. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Dave wrote:
    \
    > I got the soldering iron out, and joined the first and last. It has
    > swapped some keys around, but still i get a #. I am going to take it
    > apart again and have another try, this time joining the 3 centre ones,
    > not the 2 outer ones.
    >
    > Watch this space ...

    I've now swapped changed the solder bridges on the board, but not
    entirely successfully.

    1) It got rid of the annoying 'ANY' key, which is now an Esc key.
    2) No UK pound key
    3) The backspace key no longer works as a backspace, but instead prints
    '\' or, if the shift key is down, it prints '|'. Since the backspace and
    the \ keys are of different sizes, it is not as simple as just moving
    the key caps.

    A few other keys have moved around. Having some old keyboards around, I
    can move the key caps so things look right, but it seems the UK and US
    keyboards have different layouts of keys, so it is not as simple as just
    bridging the connections.

    Not to worry. If the Sun dealer gets off his **** and sends me a quote,
    I will buy a new type 7 country kit.

  9. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    I've got a type 6 American keyboard on a SunBlade 100 running Solaris
    10. If I type Compose, Shift and L, then a -, I get an English pound
    sign in an xterm window. For a Gnome terminal window and this window,
    (whatever firefox puts up to read Goggle Groups) I get:L

  10. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    I've got a type 6 American keyboard on a SunBlade 100 running Solaris
    10. If I type Compose, Shift and L, then a -, I get an English pound
    sign in an xterm window. For a Gnome terminal window and this window,
    (whatever firefox puts up to read Goggle Groups) I get:L

  11. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    The new keyboards are cheap from SUN. I just bought a TYPE 7 country kit
    for $57 which was surprisingly inexpensive considering its from SUN.
    (sun.ca)

    Dave wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > \
    >
    >> I got the soldering iron out, and joined the first and last. It has
    >> swapped some keys around, but still i get a #. I am going to take it
    >> apart again and have another try, this time joining the 3 centre ones,
    >> not the 2 outer ones.
    >>
    >> Watch this space ...

    > I've now swapped changed the solder bridges on the board, but not
    > entirely successfully.
    >
    > 1) It got rid of the annoying 'ANY' key, which is now an Esc key.
    > 2) No UK pound key
    > 3) The backspace key no longer works as a backspace, but instead prints
    > '\' or, if the shift key is down, it prints '|'. Since the backspace and
    > the \ keys are of different sizes, it is not as simple as just moving
    > the key caps.
    >
    > A few other keys have moved around. Having some old keyboards around, I
    > can move the key caps so things look right, but it seems the UK and US
    > keyboards have different layouts of keys, so it is not as simple as just
    > bridging the connections.
    >

    > Not to worry. If the Sun dealer gets off his **** and sends me a quote,
    > I will buy a new type 7 country kit.

  12. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Dave wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > \
    >
    >> I got the soldering iron out, and joined the first and last. It has
    >> swapped some keys around, but still i get a #. I am going to take it
    >> apart again and have another try, this time joining the 3 centre ones,
    >> not the 2 outer ones.
    >>
    >> Watch this space ...

    > I've now swapped changed the solder bridges on the board, but not
    > entirely successfully.
    >
    > 1) It got rid of the annoying 'ANY' key, which is now an Esc key.
    > 2) No UK pound key
    > 3) The backspace key no longer works as a backspace, but instead prints
    > '\' or, if the shift key is down, it prints '|'. Since the backspace and
    > the \ keys are of different sizes, it is not as simple as just moving
    > the key caps.
    >
    > A few other keys have moved around. Having some old keyboards around, I
    > can move the key caps so things look right, but it seems the UK and US
    > keyboards have different layouts of keys, so it is not as simple as just
    > bridging the connections.
    >

    > Not to worry. If the Sun dealer gets off his **** and sends me a quote,
    > I will buy a new type 7 country kit.

  13. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Michelle wrote:
    > The new keyboards are cheap from SUN. I just bought a TYPE 7 country kit
    > for $57 which was surprisingly inexpensive considering its from SUN.
    > (sun.ca)

    Yes,

    I decided to give up and buy a new one. It cost me GBP 33.24.

  14. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    Michelle wrote:
    > The new keyboards are cheap from SUN. I just bought a TYPE 7 country kit
    > for $57 which was surprisingly inexpensive considering its from SUN.
    > (sun.ca)

    Yes,

    I decided to give up and buy a new one. It cost me GBP 33.24.

  15. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    On Oct 16, 7:07 pm, Jorgen Moquist
    wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > > I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I
    > > know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to
    > > the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB keyboard?

    > > Does anyone know the difference between the keyboards from different
    > > countries (US, UK, France etc)? Are there DIP switches inside which
    > > makes the keys produce a different character? Or some other way?

    > > Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    > > ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    > > sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    > > don't want to shut the machine down.

    > # kbd -a alternate or kbd -a disable
    > will change keyboard + sequence to <~>+
    > or disable it
    > and you can change keyboard safely.
    > if you want you can do # kbd -a enable after the change.
    > /Jorgen

    I have a iogear kvm switch attached to my Blade-1000, the other kvm
    port is attached to a Mac. When I switch from the Blade to the Mac the
    keyboard is disconnected and I get a reboot. I have changed /etc/
    default/kbd to relflect the disable, but it still reboots when the
    keyboard is switched. Any other ideas

  16. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    rpasken@eas.slu.edu wrote:

    > I have a iogear kvm switch attached to my Blade-1000, the other kvm
    > port is attached to a Mac. When I switch from the Blade to the Mac the
    > keyboard is disconnected and I get a reboot. I have changed /etc/
    > default/kbd to relflect the disable, but it still reboots when the
    > keyboard is switched. Any other ideas

    I've not yet changed the default, and mine does not. I've pulled the USB
    keyboard in/out several times. (Mine is a blade 2000, not a 1000, but
    i'm surprised if the behavior is different).

  17. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    rpasken@eas.slu.edu wrote:

    > I have a iogear kvm switch attached to my Blade-1000, the other kvm
    > port is attached to a Mac. When I switch from the Blade to the Mac the
    > keyboard is disconnected and I get a reboot. I have changed /etc/
    > default/kbd to relflect the disable, but it still reboots when the
    > keyboard is switched. Any other ideas

    I've not yet changed the default, and mine does not. I've pulled the USB
    keyboard in/out several times. (Mine is a blade 2000, not a 1000, but
    i'm surprised if the behavior is different).

  18. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?

    rpasken@eas.slu.edu wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 7:07 pm, Jorgen Moquist
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd like to remove the keyboard that's plugged into my blade 2000. I
    >>>know on the earlier machines this would almost certainly drop a Sun to
    >>>the OK prompt. Will this happen on the Blade 2000, with its USB keyboard?

    >>>Does anyone know the difference between the keyboards from different
    >>>countries (US, UK, France etc)? Are there DIP switches inside which
    >>>makes the keys produce a different character? Or some other way?

    >>>Basically I have a US keyboard, but I'm in the UK. I'm trying to
    >>>ascertain if I can convert it to a UK keyboard, so it produces the pound
    >>>sign. If not, I'll have to buy one. I'll take it apart and check, but I
    >>>don't want to shut the machine down.

    >># kbd -a alternate or kbd -a disable
    >>will change keyboard + sequence to <~>+
    >>or disable it
    >>and you can change keyboard safely.
    >>if you want you can do # kbd -a enable after the change.
    >>/Jorgen

    > I have a iogear kvm switch attached to my Blade-1000, the other kvm
    > port is attached to a Mac. When I switch from the Blade to the Mac the
    > keyboard is disconnected and I get a reboot. I have changed /etc/
    > default/kbd to relflect the disable, but it still reboots when the
    > keyboard is switched. Any other ideas

    Get a KVM switch that knows about Sun keyboards! The KVM "fakes" the
    keyboard for the system(s) it's not connected to.

    I use a "Lightwave 'Server Switch'" with my three Ultra 10s. It's a
    four port switch in case I feel like connecting my Ultra 5 as well.

  19. Re: Will removing keyboard drop Blade 2000 to OK prompt?