LaCie DVD burner,... OK? - SUN

This is a discussion on LaCie DVD burner,... OK? - SUN ; Hi all. I'm beginning to think that I need an external DVD burner for my Sun Blade 2000 Workstation. One of the cheapest that I found is the "LaCie DVD±RW with LightScribe, Design by F.A. Porsche" burner. Can someone tell ...

  1. LaCie DVD burner,... OK?

    Hi all.
    I'm beginning to think that I need an external DVD burner for my Sun
    Blade 2000 Workstation.

    One of the cheapest that I found is the "LaCie DVD±RW with LightScribe,
    Design by F.A. Porsche" burner.

    Can someone tell me if it works (well) with Solaris 10?
    I have an external LaCie HD (320 Gb) and it works well...

    I'm planning to use it to burn the solaris images and some othere datas
    for backup pourposes (anyway I have just set up a nice mirror on the
    Blade but you know...)

    Thanks again.

  2. Re: LaCie DVD burner,... OK?

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, gerryt wrote:

    > I had no repeatable successes with DVD burn attempts using external
    > USB.

    FWIW, I/ve had fine results using an external HP USB LiteScribe
    drive (not the LiteScribe bit though, just data).

    > I did not use a LaCie but I doubt it matters a lot. I did use every
    > relevant cdrecord option
    > in the man page though to no avail.

    I use cdrw; it might be worth trying that...

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  3. Re: LaCie DVD burner,... OK?

    Hi,

    Patata Kid wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I'm beginning to think that I need an external DVD burner for my Sun
    > Blade 2000 Workstation.
    >
    > One of the cheapest that I found is the "LaCie DVD±RW with LightScribe,
    > Design by F.A. Porsche" burner.
    >
    > Can someone tell me if it works (well) with Solaris 10?
    > I have an external LaCie HD (320 Gb) and it works well...
    >
    > I'm planning to use it to burn the solaris images and some othere datas
    > for backup pourposes (anyway I have just set up a nice mirror on the
    > Blade but you know...)
    >
    > Thanks again.

    I have two E250 running S10 with a USB PCI card that works fine with USB
    connected DVD writers.

    /michael

  4. Re: LaCie DVD burner,... OK?

    Patata Kid wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I'm beginning to think that I need an external DVD burner for my Sun
    > Blade 2000 Workstation.
    >
    > One of the cheapest that I found is the "LaCie DVD?RW with LightScribe,
    > Design by F.A. Porsche" burner.
    >
    > Can someone tell me if it works (well) with Solaris 10?
    > I have an external LaCie HD (320 Gb) and it works well...

    I have one of those with the firewire interface. I am able to burn CDs
    from my Dell laptop using Solaris 10. It isn't altogether well behaved
    with respect to ejecting the disk, and doesn't always manage to mount the
    disk it just burned. I believe that the ejet problems are firewire related
    rather than specifically tied to this DVD drive.

    I also hang it off my SGI Fuel, but there I can only use it for reading,
    not for writing.

    Still, as you say, it was cheap.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  5. Re: LaCie DVD burner,... OK?

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:36:23 +0200
    Patata Kid wrote:

    > I'm beginning to think that I need an external DVD burner for my Sun
    > Blade 2000 Workstation.
    >
    > One of the cheapest that I found is the "LaCie DVD±RW with
    > LightScribe, Design by F.A. Porsche" burner.

    I use an LG external DVD writer and regularly burn DVD images (such as
    the Solaris releases) using cdrw.

    I don't think that the brand matters a lot.

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --

+ Reply to Thread