Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works? - SUN

This is a discussion on Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works? - SUN ; Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but when I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop System, Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the screen goes blank for a ...

  1. Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but when
    I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop System,
    Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the screen goes
    blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    screen. CDE works fine!

    I have searched and searched the web but cannot find a resolutio to this
    problem. Can anyone help please?

    Mike.

  2. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    In Mike Calvey writes:

    >Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but when
    >I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop System,
    >Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the screen goes
    >blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    >screen. CDE works fine!

    The first things to check are that you are not logging into JDS3
    as root, and that the user has a writable home directory.

    --
    -Gary Mills- -Unix Support- -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

  3. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Gary Mills wrote:
    > In Mike Calvey writes:
    >

    >>Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but when
    >>I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop System,
    >>Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the screen goes

    ^^^^

    >>blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    >>screen. CDE works fine!

    > The first things to check are that you are not logging into JDS3
    > as root, and that the user has a writable home directory.

    Didn't the OP just say that he was trying to log in to JDS as root?

  4. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Gary Mills wrote:
    >> In Mike Calvey
    >> writes:
    >>

    >>> Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but
    >>> when I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop
    >>> System, Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the
    >>> screen goes

    > ^^^^
    >
    >>> blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    >>> screen. CDE works fine!

    >> The first things to check are that you are not logging into JDS3
    >> as root, and that the user has a writable home directory.
    >>

    > Didn't the OP just say that he was trying to log in to JDS as root?

    I tried another user-id (eg fred) and that does not work on CDE or JDS3.
    When logging in as fred on CDE it goes in, I briefly see the desktop
    then it returns to the welcome screen,
    When logging in a fred on JDS3 I get the same efect as logging in as root.

  5. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Gary Mills wrote:
    >> In Mike Calvey
    >> writes:
    >>

    >>> Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but
    >>> when I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop
    >>> System, Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the
    >>> screen goes

    > ^^^^
    >
    >>> blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    >>> screen. CDE works fine!

    >> The first things to check are that you are not logging into JDS3
    >> as root, and that the user has a writable home directory.
    >>

    > Didn't the OP just say that he was trying to log in to JDS as root?

    Correction: user fred did not have a home directory! Fixed that and now
    CDE works but JDS3 still does not.

  6. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    In <4713ABFF.3080407@virgin.net> Mike Calvey writes:

    >Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >> Gary Mills wrote:

    >>> The first things to check are that you are not logging into JDS3
    >>> as root, and that the user has a writable home directory.

    >> Didn't the OP just say that he was trying to log in to JDS as root?
    >>

    >Correction: user fred did not have a home directory! Fixed that and now
    >CDE works but JDS3 still does not.

    Make sure that `getent passwd fred' shows the correct home directory.
    Now you will need to go looking for error messages. Start with
    /var/dt/Xerrors, although it's sometimes difficult to distinguish
    the real errors from the normal ones. There should also be session
    logs in the user's home directory.

    --
    -Gary Mills- -Unix Support- -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

  7. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Gary Mills wrote:
    > In <4713ABFF.3080407@virgin.net> Mike Calvey writes:
    >
    >> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >>> Didn't the OP just say that he was trying to log in to JDS as root?
    >>>

    >> Correction: user fred did not have a home directory! Fixed that and now
    >> CDE works but JDS3 still does not.

    > Make sure that `getent passwd fred' shows the correct home directory.
    > Now you will need to go looking for error messages. Start with
    > /var/dt/Xerrors, although it's sometimes difficult to distinguish
    > the real errors from the normal ones. There should also be session
    > logs in the user's home directory.

    I edited /var/dt/Xerrors and put a word at the bottom of the file.
    After attempting JDS3 login I get "m64 only supports depths 8 and 32" in
    /var/dt/Xerrors

    I am using a 19 inch wide monitor on a Ultra 10 (on board graphics) and
    have set:
    /usr/sbin/m64config -res 1440x900x76 -depth 8
    and
    /usr/sbin/m64config -prconf
    shows
    Current resolution setting: 1440x900x76
    Current depth: 8

    I do not know if this has anything to do with it....?
    CDE works just fine with these settings.

  8. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    kschendel wrote:
    > On Oct 15, 12:32 pm, Mike Calvey wrote:
    >> Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but when
    >> I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop System,
    >> Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the screen goes
    >> blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    >> screen. CDE works fine!

    > I had something very like this happening. I finally added
    > dtstart_sessionlogfile=/tmp/foo
    > to my .dtprofile, did a touch /tmp/foo, and tried to log
    > in. In my case, /tmp/foo showed that I had somehow managed to
    > lose the stupid SUNWgnome-a11y-base-libs package and some
    > gnome piece wasn't able to run due to lack of libgailutil.
    >
    > Karl

    Did as suggested above (Thanks!)

    and /tmp/foo contains

    Starting GNOME
    ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2:
    corrupt or trucated
    ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2: open
    failed: No such file or directory
    /usr/dt/config/Xsession2.jds[30]: 8150 Killed

    The size of the file with ls -al is 12779520 Oct 5 09:35

    If I do a
    $file /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
    can't read ELF header
    /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2

    I checked all the other files in the directory and libmlib.so has the
    problem.

    I have searched the system and I cannot find another copy of these files.

    Where can I get a copy of libmlib.so.2 and libmlib.so for Solaris 10?

  9. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Mike Calvey wrote:
    > kschendel wrote:
    >
    >> On Oct 15, 12:32 pm, Mike Calvey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but when
    >>> I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop System,
    >>> Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the screen goes
    >>> blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    >>> screen. CDE works fine!

    >> I had something very like this happening. I finally added
    >> dtstart_sessionlogfile=/tmp/foo
    >> to my .dtprofile, did a touch /tmp/foo, and tried to log
    >> in. In my case, /tmp/foo showed that I had somehow managed to
    >> lose the stupid SUNWgnome-a11y-base-libs package and some
    >> gnome piece wasn't able to run due to lack of libgailutil.
    >>
    >> Karl
    >>

    > Did as suggested above (Thanks!)
    >
    > and /tmp/foo contains
    >
    > Starting GNOME
    > ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2: corrupt
    > or trucated
    > ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2: open
    > failed: No such file or directory
    > /usr/dt/config/Xsession2.jds[30]: 8150 Killed
    >
    > The size of the file with ls -al is 12779520 Oct 5 09:35
    >
    > If I do a
    > $file /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
    > can't read ELF header
    > /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
    >
    > I checked all the other files in the directory and libmlib.so has the
    > problem.
    >
    > I have searched the system and I cannot find another copy of these files.
    >
    > Where can I get a copy of libmlib.so.2 and libmlib.so for Solaris 10?

    Did you ever make a backup??????

    Have you looked on the S10 intstallation DVD?

  10. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Mike Calvey wrote:
    >> kschendel wrote:

    >>> I had something very like this happening. I finally added
    >>> dtstart_sessionlogfile=/tmp/foo
    >>> to my .dtprofile, did a touch /tmp/foo, and tried to log
    >>> in. In my case, /tmp/foo showed that I had somehow managed to
    >>> lose the stupid SUNWgnome-a11y-base-libs package and some
    >>> gnome piece wasn't able to run due to lack of libgailutil.
    >>>
    >>> Karl
    >>>

    >> Did as suggested above (Thanks!)
    >>
    >> and /tmp/foo contains
    >>
    >> Starting GNOME
    >> ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2:
    >> corrupt or trucated
    >> ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2: open
    >> failed: No such file or directory
    >> /usr/dt/config/Xsession2.jds[30]: 8150 Killed
    >>
    >> The size of the file with ls -al is 12779520 Oct 5 09:35
    >>
    >> If I do a
    >> $file /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
    >> can't read ELF header
    >> /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
    >>
    >> I checked all the other files in the directory and libmlib.so has the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I have searched the system and I cannot find another copy of these files.
    >>
    >> Where can I get a copy of libmlib.so.2 and libmlib.so for Solaris 10?

    > Did you ever make a backup??????
    >
    > Have you looked on the S10 intstallation DVD?

    No Backup... as the system came pre-installed (and no CD's).
    I bought it to help with SCSA studies.

  11. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Mike Calvey wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Calvey wrote:

    >>> Did as suggested above (Thanks!)
    >>>
    >>> and /tmp/foo contains
    >>>
    >>> Starting GNOME
    >>> ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2:
    >>> corrupt or trucated
    >>> ld.so.1: /usr/bin/gnome-session: fatal: /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2: open
    >>> failed: No such file or directory
    >>> /usr/dt/config/Xsession2.jds[30]: 8150 Killed
    >>>
    >>> The size of the file with ls -al is 12779520 Oct 5 09:35
    >>>
    >>> If I do a
    >>> $file /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
    >>> can't read ELF header
    >>> /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
    >>>
    >>> I checked all the other files in the directory and libmlib.so has the
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have searched the system and I cannot find another copy of these
    >>> files.
    >>>
    >>> Where can I get a copy of libmlib.so.2 and libmlib.so for Solaris 10?

    >> Did you ever make a backup??????
    >>
    >> Have you looked on the S10 intstallation DVD?
    >>

    > No Backup... as the system came pre-installed (and no CD's).
    > I bought it to help with SCSA studies.

    Well, now you know why backups are important. You can download CD or
    DVD images from Sun and burn your own. You can order DVDs from Sun;
    depending on the policy of the week they might cost you $40 or they
    might be free. Note that even if you have to pay for them, they are
    worth the $40. Home made CDs and/or DVDs have been known to fail to
    work in some CD and/or DVD drives!

    The question is not whether or not you will need a backup but WHEN you
    will need a backup! Disks fail. Important files get deleted or
    corrupted. **** happens!!!

    Anyone who has worked as a sysadmin for very long could probably tell
    you a horror story; maybe it happened to him or maybe to someone he
    knows. These things happen and the wise sysadmin makes backups or has
    install CDs/DVDs on hand or both. Obviously the install media can serve
    as backups for the O/S. It's not so obvious that systems get patched
    and you need backups for the patches. (yes, you can download patches
    from Sun IF Sunsolve happens to be working that day and IF Sun's policy
    of the week allows you to download patches without a service contract.

    Your own files may, or may not, be worth backing up; that's up to you.
    If the system belongs to your employer and you encounter a problem like
    this, being able to fix it immediately might just mean that you get to
    keep your job!!

  12. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    On 2007-10-17, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Mike Calvey wrote:

    >> No Backup... as the system came pre-installed (and no CD's).
    >> I bought it to help with SCSA studies.

    In which case, you should have immediately reinstalled it. I run Suns as home
    computers and buy them all second-hand. They usually come with a fresh Solaris
    install, from where the Sun breakers have overwritten the disk so as to trash
    the data belonging to whoever they got them from. The first thing I do?
    Reinstall Solaris. Who knows what their install has in it. (Plus they never
    partition the disk the way I want it.)

    > Well, now you know why backups are important.

    Let me introduce the assembled multitudes to Huge's Three Rules of Backups;

    1. Make backups.
    2. Make backups.
    3. Make backups.

    I've had three disk failures in the last 3 months and not lost a byte of data.
    Why? Because I follow my own rules...

    --
    "A computer is a nerd-designed machine for screwdriver addicts."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  13. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2007-10-17, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>Mike Calvey wrote:

    >>>No Backup... as the system came pre-installed (and no CD's).
    >>> I bought it to help with SCSA studies.

    > In which case, you should have immediately reinstalled it. I run Suns as home
    > computers and buy them all second-hand. They usually come with a fresh Solaris
    > install, from where the Sun breakers have overwritten the disk so as to trash
    > the data belonging to whoever they got them from. The first thing I do?
    > Reinstall Solaris. Who knows what their install has in it. (Plus they never
    > partition the disk the way I want it.)
    >

    >>Well, now you know why backups are important.

    > Let me introduce the assembled multitudes to Huge's Three Rules of Backups;
    >
    > 1. Make backups.
    > 2. Make backups.
    > 3. Make backups.

    Even if you set your three rules in 36 point bold italic, it ain't going
    to happen! Far too many people can't be convinced by anything less than
    having a disk fail. Some people can't even be convinced by experience!

  14. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Huge wrote:

    > Let me introduce the assembled multitudes to Huge's Three Rules of Backups;
    >
    > 1. Make backups.
    > 2. Make backups.
    > 3. Make backups.

    Rule 2 should be "Test backups"

  15. Re: Java Desktop System - cannot login - CDE works?

    Mike Calvey wrote:
    > Running a pre-built Solaris 10 system, I can login and use CDE but when
    > I exit (logout) and change Options -> Sessions to "Java Desktop System,
    > Release 3", enter the username (root) and password, the screen goes
    > blank for a short while, then flashes, then returns to the welcome
    > screen. CDE works fine!
    >
    > I have searched and searched the web but cannot find a resolutio to this
    > problem. Can anyone help please?
    >
    > Mike.

    Just to wrap this one up...
    Appears there were corrupt files, missing files, etc. Obtained SUNWmlib,
    installed it and had all kinds of problems (as said in one of the
    threads below - breakers had installed some old version on it!).
    Downloaded the 08/07 CD's, reinstalled from scratch - ALL IS WORKING.

    My thanks to all who helped and suggested solutions.

+ Reply to Thread