how do I mount tmpfs ? - SUN

This is a discussion on how do I mount tmpfs ? - SUN ; I'm trying to mount a memory based file system in Solaris 10. According to the mount_tmpfs man page: NAME mount_tmpfs - mount tmpfs file systems SYNOPSIS mount [ -F tmpfs] [ -o specific_options] [-O] special mount_point DESCRIPTION tmpfs is a ...

  1. how do I mount tmpfs ?

    I'm trying to mount a memory based file system in Solaris 10. According
    to the mount_tmpfs man page:

    NAME
    mount_tmpfs - mount tmpfs file systems

    SYNOPSIS
    mount [ -F tmpfs] [ -o specific_options] [-O] special
    mount_point

    DESCRIPTION
    tmpfs is a memory based file system which uses kernel
    resources relating to the VM system and page cache as a file
    system.

    But there is no example of this. I've tried the following, but it
    generates an error as you can see:

    # mount -F tmpfs -o size=2048m /tmpfs
    mount: Mount point cannot be determined

    # ls -ld /tmpfs
    drwx------ 2 root root 512 Oct 14 10:46 /tmpfs

    What am I doing wrong?

  2. Re: how do I mount tmpfs ?

    Dave wrote:

    > But there is no example of this. I've tried the following, but it
    > generates an error as you can see:
    >

    > # mount -F tmpfs -o size=2048m /tmpfs
    > mount: Mount point cannot be determined

    I found the answer myself

    mount -F tmpfs -o size=2048m -O swap /tmpfs

  3. Re: how do I mount tmpfs ?

    In comp.unix.solaris Dave wrote:
    > SYNOPSIS
    > mount [ -F tmpfs] [ -o specific_options] [-O] special
    > mount_point

    [...]
    > # mount -F tmpfs -o size=2048m /tmpfs
    > mount: Mount point cannot be determined

    You forgot the "special". In this case, probably "swap". I've never
    done this myself, but I know you're one arg short.

    --
    Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

+ Reply to Thread