Sun PCi II - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun PCi II - SUN ; Are the fans on these things supposed to be LOUD or did I get one with a bad fan? - Steve Rose ------------------------------------------- Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name. Thy programs run, thy syscalls done, In ...

  1. Sun PCi II

    Are the fans on these things supposed to be LOUD or did I get one with a
    bad fan?

    - Steve Rose

    Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    In kernel as it is in user!

  2. Re: Sun PCi II

    Steve Rose wrote:
    > Are the fans on these things supposed to be LOUD or did I get one with a
    > bad fan?
    >
    > - Steve Rose

    > Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    > Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    > In kernel as it is in user!

    Mine was loud too - this was my solution:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...543c4cccbfb294

    Note I wrote that over 4 years ago.

    Use at your own risk!!!

  3. Re: Sun PCi II

    Dave wrote:

    > Note I wrote that over 4 years ago.
    >
    > Use at your own risk!!!

    The point about the 4 years, is that it is still going strong.

  4. Re: Sun PCi II

    "Steve Rose" wrote in message
    > Are the fans on these things supposed to be LOUD or did I get one with a
    > bad fan?
    >
    > - Steve Rose

    When the fans go up they are extremely loud.
    Much louder than one would expect for a fan of it's size.
    Many people think they have bad hard drive or something.

    Trinean

  5. Re: Sun PCi II

    Dave wrote:
    > Steve Rose wrote:
    >> Are the fans on these things supposed to be LOUD or did I get one with
    >> a bad fan?
    >>
    >> - Steve Rose

    >> Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    >> Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    >> In kernel as it is in user!

    > Mine was loud too - this was my solution:
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...543c4cccbfb294
    >

    > Note I wrote that over 4 years ago.
    >
    > Use at your own risk!!!

    I forgot to say,

    Someone else decided to give my method a try:

    http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f57/re-...o-board-92214/

    then he wrote it up, with photos etc. Unfortunately his writeup is in
    French, but it should be obvious, what I did from his photos.

    http://www.sunwizard.net/html/articles/gt007.html

    Funny enough, I got a Blade 2000 yesterday to replace my Ultra 80. I
    moved the SunPCi card into the Blade 2000 about 2 hours ago, so it is
    not been in there long. But so far it is still alive!

    Obviously it is a bit risky, but what is a Celeron CPU cost now? It sure
    make the SunPCi card silent.

+ Reply to Thread